U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Tyler TX
18 posts, read 71,094 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Preparing for a move to BR later this summer -- we are looking (long-distance) at a duplex at or near the intersection of Coursey and South Park. Anybody know if this is a safe/nice part of town? How bad is traffic at this intersection?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,122,272 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu9837 View Post
Preparing for a move to BR later this summer -- we are looking (long-distance) at a duplex at or near the intersection of Coursey and South Park. Anybody know if this is a safe/nice part of town? How bad is traffic at this intersection?
Southpark is a slum that has been going down since the 1980s. It helps that you have a police/fire station there, but I would NOT live on Southpark. Plus, the Bluebonnet/Coursey traffic is awful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,149,192 times
Reputation: 244
Southpark has gone downhill in recent years.
Bluebonnet traffic is managable west to I-10. Coursey is rough around Sherwood and eastward.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,122,272 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Southpark has gone downhill in recent years.
Bluebonnet traffic is managable west to I-10. Coursey is rough around Sherwood and eastward.
You know what's funny about Bluebonnet traffic is that 90% of the problems are between Blue Cross Plwy and I-10, because everyone wants to turn left to go to Prairieville. So what does the city do in its infinite wisdom ? They add a RIGHT turn lane on I-10 going into town. Sheesh.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,149,192 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
You know what's funny about Bluebonnet traffic is that 90% of the problems are between Blue Cross Plwy and I-10, because everyone wants to turn left to go to Prairieville. So what does the city do in its infinite wisdom ? They add a RIGHT turn lane on I-10 going into town. Sheesh.
Yeah, that one kind of boggled me. Because if I'm coming down Bluebonnet from Jefferson, I'm not usually planning to turn westbound onto I-10. So the turn lane seems pointless to me.
I wish when DOTD decides to expand I-10, they would just build it up to Texas standards, six-eight laned freeway with four laned (one way) service roads and u-turn underpasses. Seems like the best solution for that stretch of highway anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,122,272 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Yeah, that one kind of boggled me. Because if I'm coming down Bluebonnet from Jefferson, I'm not usually planning to turn westbound onto I-10. So the turn lane seems pointless to me.
I wish when DOTD decides to expand I-10, they would just build it up to Texas standards, six-eight laned freeway with four laned (one way) service roads and u-turn underpasses. Seems like the best solution for that stretch of highway anyway.
One thing that will make you see red - when my wife and I went on a trip to Austin recently, I-10 is ALREADY 3 lanes west of Sulphur, and they're widening it to 3 lanes between Lake Charles and Iowa. That'd be the equivalent of I-10 being 3 laned between LA 415 and, say, Livingston.

Another thing Texas does WAY better than us is having accessible service roads that parallel the entire stretch of interstate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Tyler TX
18 posts, read 71,094 times
Reputation: 14
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much BRman! You have saved me some potential headaches there, I will definitely avoid the Coursey/Southpark area.

I have found a couple other rentals that might work. One is in the Broadmoor area and one is at the Jefferson Shadows apartment complex. How are those 2 places in your opinion, any better than Coursey/Southpark? I'm kind of worried that my budget (and my 2 dogs, LOL) may limit me to some of the crappier areas, although I hope not.

L.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,122,272 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu9837 View Post
Thanks so much BRman! You have saved me some potential headaches there, I will definitely avoid the Coursey/Southpark area.

I have found a couple other rentals that might work. One is in the Broadmoor area and one is at the Jefferson Shadows apartment complex. How are those 2 places in your opinion, any better than Coursey/Southpark? I'm kind of worried that my budget (and my 2 dogs, LOL) may limit me to some of the crappier areas, although I hope not.

L.
Broadmoor is going down, as you have slummy apartments north of Florida Blvd AND near the old dollar movie theater. Jefferson Shadows is in a better area.

Let me ask you this - where in BR is the job ? That should drive what part of town you live in, because the traffic may or may not affect you, depending on where you live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Tyler TX
18 posts, read 71,094 times
Reputation: 14
Hi BRman! Thanks for the advice, I think that rules Broadmoor out too. I have a 2-year-old and it's real important to me that we be in a safe area.

I will be working at Ochsner on Summa (off Bluebonnet). I'm thinking Jefferson Shadows is reasonably close, isn't it? I agree I'd like to stay near work (would like to find daycare near work as well).

I looked at some of the other apt. and condo complexes near Ochsner -- they look pretty nice, but I think my 2 medium-sized dogs are going to be a problem. What I really want is a small rental house or duplex w/a yard, but they are hard to find (at least in my price range -- $1000/mo or less). Any other suggestions you have would be very welcome, you have been such a great resource thus far!

There seems to be lots of housing closer to LSU but I've kind of been shying away from that area -- concerned about crime, loud partying, etc. Do you think that's reasonable or is it worth looking there anyway?

L

Laurie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,149,192 times
Reputation: 244
Most everything on Jefferson is in a good area although the individual properties vary. I always thought well of Jeff Shadows but I've heard otherwise from another. You'll want to check any place at night to see who hangs around there.
Jefferson East usualy accepts most sizes of dogs. Not sure about the Warwick. Both are further up on Jefferson near Corporate. Jefferson Hwy traffic north of I-12 isn't always kind in the afternoon rushhour either. South of I-12 to Airline you shouldn't have much problem.
Maybe check Chateaux Dijon on Essen as well. Traditionally it's a good property, but you're always going to run into the occassional scum even in the best places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top