U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,167 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to Baton Rouge in one month. He will be working at one of the petro-chemical plants north of downtown. We are from Houston and are in our mid-20s with no kids, but one dog. Does anyone have any advice for where to look for houses that would be about 15-25 minute commute for him? Right now we are considering Zachary, Central, and the Garden district. We will be visiting soon to get a feel for the area and look for houses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:59 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,119,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR_Cowgirl View Post
My husband is being relocated to Baton Rouge in one month. He will be working at one of the petro-chemical plants north of downtown. We are from Houston and are in our mid-20s with no kids, but one dog. Does anyone have any advice for where to look for houses that would be about 15-25 minute commute for him? Right now we are considering Zachary, Central, and the Garden district. We will be visiting soon to get a feel for the area and look for houses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If by "north" you mean north of the airport, I'd look at Zachary or Saint Francisville, with a caveat: there is not as much retail north of town. Central is not bad, but depending on where the plant is, the commute in on Hooper Road can be fairly clogged (although not as clogged as, say, I-10 between 610 and Beltway 8 at all hours). I'm not crazy about the Garden District because it is too close to the higher crime neighborhoods, and it has crime issues itself.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:57 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,326,595 times
Definitely Zachary if he will be working in one of those plants. They have the top public school system in the state and it is a pretty prosperous area. Thanks to I-110 which stops around the airport, you should have pretty good access to downtown or I-10. Then again, if he doesn't mind driving a little bit further, you could consider St. Francisville, which is a very beautiful little town with good schools.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:59 AM

794 posts, read 3,147,793 times
Northern EBR Parish and the Felicianas have some beautiful land and if you're a nature buff, you'll like living up there. West Feliciana also has better schools, along with Zachary. But it is rural. You don't have the retail, entertainment and recreation that you have in the city. But to make up for it, the commute from the north is so much easier than coming from Livingston or Ascension, even the westbank. Most of the chem plants line Hwy 61 and 61 is four laned nearly to St. Francisville now.
LA 19 south from Zachary usually has a little more traffic since you have to go through Baker to get to I-110, but it doesn't compare to I-12 or I-10.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM

100 posts, read 366,795 times
Garden district, Capitol Heights, Zeeland Gardens....all great in town choices. Southdowns is nice too, but it can be hit or miss when it comes to finding a good deal. They are older homes with mature trees, but the prices might be a bit high on a square footage basis. I personally love Capitol Heights and Zeeland Gardens- there are several good bars and restarants at the Perkins Road/I-10 area as well as downtown, which makes this neighborhood appealing. They are also very pretty areas. That way, you can take N. 22nd street to Scenic highway...pretty sweet commute since there isn't all that much traffic on either.

Central isn't too bad- Hooper Road is a straight shot all the way into North Baton Rouge, but that road has heavy traffic. It's got it's own school district and from what I hear, it's doing quite well. I wouldn't go too much farther east than Central unless you really like the schools...Livingston Parish to anywhere in Baton Rouge isn't an easy commute.

If you are working in North Baton Rouge, then Broadmoor (Goodwood just east of Airline Highway) is a surprisingly quiet neighborhood with great prices. The Airline Highway commute north to the Petrochemical plants is pretty easy, too. Most Broadmoor was developed in the 1970s and 1980s, so you get wider lots, bigger "slab on grade" homes. It's under-rated....especially for younger couples.

Zachary is a good place if you have children. You are farther from "the night life" or the heavy retail and medical facilities. It's building up, but its' just not there yet.

St. Francisville and New Roads are a little farther north, but they are very pretty towns...but you can be from I-110 to either within 40 minutes. New Roads offers great fishing and boating and lots of new construction in town and along the lake. St. Francisville hasn't been developed as much, but it's not too difficult to find a nice house there. Each has their own retail centers, grocers, hardware stores, etc.... but neither has a mall. New Roads has a little night life going on the weekends. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited town a couple of years ago.

Another suggestion: I know a lot of people who work at Exxon in Baton Rouge. Many of them commute from West Baton Rouge parish. The Huey Long bridge doesn't get much traffic at any time really. Brusly has a good and still improving school system. That gives you good access to work in North Baton Rouge (20 minutes), downtown (10 minutes) and LSU (15 minutes). Most of the homes here a newer, with larger yards....mostly mid to upper level homes have been built there recently. There is also some new construction west of Port Allen on Rosedale Road that can't be more than 15 minutes from the north baton rouge petrol plants.

At ease....your commute is probably not going to be anything near as bad as it was in Houston. I used to live in Katy and had to commute to downtown every day....tough commute. As soon as I'd hit the Beltway, I-10 would turn into a parking lot until I passed 610. It was much worse in the afternoon. I can assure you, nothing is that bad in Baton Rouge.

Welcome to Baton Rouge.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-21-2008 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: no advertising for realty companies

Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,119,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
If you are working in North Baton Rouge, then Broadmoor (Goodwood just east of Airline Highway) is a surprisingly quiet neighborhood with great prices. The Airline Highway commute north to the Petrochemical plants is pretty easy, too. Most Broadmoor was developed in the 1970s and 1980s, so you get wider lots, bigger "slab on grade" homes. It's under-rated....especially for younger couples.

Another suggestion: I know a lot of people who work at Exxon in Baton Rouge. Many of them commute from West Baton Rouge parish. The Huey Long bridge doesn't get much traffic at any time really. Brusly has a good and still improving school system. That gives you good access to work in North Baton Rouge (20 minutes), downtown (10 minutes) and LSU (15 minutes). Most of the homes here a newer, with larger yards....mostly mid to upper level homes have been built there recently. There is also some new construction west of Port Allen on Rosedale Road that can't be more than 15 minutes from the north baton rouge petrol plants.

At ease....your commute is probably not going to be anything near as bad as it was in Houston. Welcome to Baton Rouge.
Couple of thoughts (I liked your analysis, by the way): (1) 95% of Broadmoor was built in the 50s/60s and the neighborhood is slightly older than its "twin" to the east Sherwood Forest, (2) I assume the "Huey Long bridge" you're referring to is the "old bridge" -in which case, it's a "best kept secret" because most of West Baton Rouge Parish's 20,000 people take the "new bridge" (the popular name for the I-10 bridge), even though the "old bridge" is just a few miles to the north.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM

794 posts, read 3,147,793 times
For working in North BTR, the old bridge is the way to go. And West Baton Rouge does offer some prime real estate if you don't mind the flat terrain and possibly living next to a sugar cane field. You do have to look hard at the neighborhoods though because while most are fairly good, there are pockets of lowlife neighborhoods sprinkled in between. You definitely want to stay outside of Port Allen's city limits.
Brusly does have a good school system. The downside to living south of the ICWW (Intracoastal) is that there's only one bridge connecting the south to Port Allen and I-10. Traffic has gotten worse especially since the Wal-Mart they put in right over the locks. It'll only get worse when they add in RiverView (the new urban development that is planned behind the Wal-Mart). There are plans to add a bridge over the Intracoastal to connect with LA-415 in the future.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM

^^I'd have to agree with Port Allen's city limits....If your really set on the city, then go with a house btw LA1 and the river. Brusly is a better choice all around, but the land is all flat and nothing visually appealing about the natural landscape.

Intracoastal isn't too bad if you stay in the left lane and keep moving north to the old bridge.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,167 times
Thanks for all the advice! We actually haven't considered western BR. How are the schools compared to Baton Rouge, as well as the retail? My husband would really like to live in the Garden District area, but we are trying to top our budget off at $200,000. Could we find any real estate in that budget there? We are still trying to decide if we want a smaller house closer to things to do, or a bigger house further away from everything. I personally like the Azalea Lakes subdivision, but it would be a further commute for my husband. Any advice on that area?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM

Public Schools- WBR as a whole is probably better, especially Brusly...south of I-10 directly accross the river from LSU. You can find plenty of choices in WBR for $200,000.

You can find a decent house in the Garden District for that price if you don't mind something small.

Broadmoor and Sherwood probably has several larger homes in that price range, but the public schools are not as good. Baton Rouge is hit or miss with public schools...some are good, some are not. Zachary and Central have good schools but they are in their own district.

Azalea lakes is a nice neighborhood, but I don't know much about the prices there...and it' is quite a drive to North Baton Rouge. That section of Airline Highway between I-12 and Goodwood is pretty hairy, but it thins out north of that. Sherwood Forest is usually kind of busy. Some of those plants have odd shift hours, so if your husband has that then the commute won't be too bad. If that is the area you are into, then also check out Shenedoah subdivision. It's huge, and it's in a decent school district...also close to a lot of retail activity. Houses are relatively large and kind of reminds me of something you would find off of Kirkwood Drive or North Gessner in western Houston. I know people that lived there and had to drive to the capitol park area downtown, and it was about 40-50 minutes...so I'd expect about 40 minutes to North Baton Rouge via Airline.

Check out Capitol Heights on your visit. If you like the Garden District, then you will probably like that neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge