Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:31 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,240,413 times

Advertisements

No, Sam I Am isn't anywhere close to BR. Sam is just the moderator who keeps checking this thread to make sure it doesn't go over a cliff. When one talks down about a spot some folks call home, you're bound to get a backlash. So that's the reason for my existence on this thread...far, far away from BR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:41 PM

110 posts, read 389,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post

Don't act like Baton Rouge is this huge anomaly.
According to City Data census numbers, D.C. lost 5.7% of its population between 1990 and 2000. And it lost another 10K residents between 2000 and 2003 while it's metropolitan area grew steadily. Is that a huge shock? Shouldn't be. Americans have been moving to the suburbs since the end of WWII and the advent of the freeway. It'll take rising gas prices to get them back into the cities to stay.
Washington ,D.C. proper has gained residents since 2000 due to gentrification and new development, the trend of flight to the burbs maybe true. Well planned older cites are being repopulated by singles and retires. DC will see and continue to see an increase in pop after it is documented in 2010 by the census.There is a new trend that reflects we are moving back to cities.

Last edited by nubianbrotha; 07-31-2008 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,675,157 times
[quote=nubianbrotha;4681505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

Neighborhoods and morale...not so check. There's people living there, no huge exodus, so it works for a quarter of a million people - you might be off the mark on that one.
The "Greater Baton Rouge Business Report" did a story a few days ago about the Shrinking city of BR. I think it lost more people at a greater rate last year than all cities but one last year.
According to city-data statistics, the City of Baton Rouge's population grew by 0.8% from 2000 to 2006. If Baton Rouge was having a mass exodus, the city would resemble Detroit or Gary or Camden. Any slight population loss in 2007 can easily be attributed to Katrina evacuees moving back to their own communities, especially since New Orleans population is up 13% in 2007. Comparable cities in the south suffered much more population loss from 2000 to 2006. Birmingham, Alabama lost 5.5% of it's population, and Jackson, Mississippi lost 4.1% of it's residents.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:36 PM

These are estimates, the article in the GBBJ, mentions that BR's estimates and the feds estimates are off by more than just a few thousand. It also hint aounds the same goes for EBR. I think what maybe happening is more people working and doing business in the EBR giving the feel of a bigger city, but how many of these new residents actually live in the bounderies of EBR or BR.
D.C. is home to about 550-575K but durring the business day there are can be about 2 to 3 times that many in the District working and visiting from the VA and MD burbs.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianbrotha View Post
These are estimates, the article in the GBBJ, mentions that BR's estimates and the feds estimates are off by more than just a few thousand. It also hint aounds the same goes for EBR. I think what maybe happening is more people working and doing business in the EBR giving the feel of a bigger city, but how many of these new residents actually live in the bounderies of EBR or BR.
D.C. is home to about 550-575K but durring the business day there are can be about 2 to 3 times that many in the District working and visiting from the VA and MD burbs.
Okay, I thought that you said you haven't been to BTR in like 5 years, yet you are trying to act like you still live, work, and participate in daily life here. IMO, the U.S. census has a smaller margin of error then some GBBJ. I think I'll stick with the pro's estimates. And even if this GBBJ did have the resources to get closer to the real number, "Baton Rouge, the Incredible Shrinking City" is nothing but a load of bullcrap, and I, you, and everybody in Louisiana knows it. We do live here, I think we'd notice if every other house every street was vacant like in the real "Incredible Shrinking Cities".

Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 PM

I have family there so I do visit often , I was just there in May. I didn't witness any phoenominal city busrting at the seems like many claimed. The Greater Baton Rouge Business Journal's story " The Incredibal Shrinking City" disussed how the City/Parish estimates are different and off from the States and Feds. estimates mid census. The Parish believes it be at around 495K the fed and states estimates are at about 430K thats hmmmm.... 55K missing in that number.
What maybe happeing is the Metro BR Areas witness a greater numbers of communters doing business in Br but driving greater distances to do so in EBR.Communers from farther reaches than before.This trend happens every where. Using DC as my model, We suspect that the Ditrict gained people this year. But wittness a huge number of commuters daily from as far away as PA, and WV everyday. It gives the appearance that millions live here. But when they settle back home. you get a true sense of who lives here and where.
That gap of about 55K maybe just those extra communters to the metro area now that BR is the so called center of the universe in LA.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 PM

Default !

[quote=MetroBTR;4682678[COLOR=red]]
Quote:
[/color]

According to city-data statistics, the City of Baton Rouge's population grew by 0.8% from 2000 to 2006. If Baton Rouge was having a mass exodus, the would resemble Detroit or Gary or Camden.
In 1950's Detoit was the fastest growing city in the country. LOL

Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I have family there so I do visit often , I was just there in May. I didn't witness any phoenominal city busrting at the seems like many claimed. The Greater Baton Rouge Business Journal's story " The Incredibal Shrinking City" disussed how the City/Parish estimates are different and off from the States and Feds. estimates mid census. The Parish believes it be at around 495K the fed and states estimates are at about 430K thats hmmmm.... 55K missing in that number.
What maybe happeing is the Metro BR Areas witness a greater numbers of communters doing business in Br but driving greater distances to do so in EBR.Communers from farther reaches than before.This trend happens every where. Using DC as my model, We suspect that the Ditrict gained people this year. But wittness a huge number of commuters daily from as far away as PA, and WV everyday. It gives the appearance that millions live here. But when they settle back home. you get a true sense of who lives here and where.
That gap of about 55K maybe just those extra communters to the metro area now that BR is the so called center of the universe in LA.
As I said, any noticeable shrinkage came from Katrina Evacuees (the ones who had caused the crazy growth) going home. Census estimates entail alot more research than just witnessing the people moving around in the city.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 AM

Default Where does BR fit in with the rest of the south??

Do you all think BR is just as progressive as some other cities in the south?
Do you feel all sub cultures can find peace here?
Are BR residents inviting to outsiders ?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM

67 posts, read 248,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I just graduated in May. I decided not to stay in BR after graduation for the reason listed above...lack of job opportunities. I am from Lake Charles originally....which may explain why I don't think Baton Rouge is that bad of a town. If you want to live in a truly dead hole town then try living in Lake Charles.

It's not that I am anti northeast (obviously since I am moving to NYC in 3 weeks) I just don't think Baton Rouge is that bad of a mid-size town especially for Louisiana.

Also could part of the reason you don't like BR be because you grew up and went to school in one of the worst and crime ridden parts of the city?
I am from Lake Charles and do not remember disliking it as much as I dislike Baton Rouge. Lake Charles has character, something Baton Rouge lacks in my opinion. Lake Charles is, of course, much smaller (population ~100k), but is incredibly well-designed, filled with a fair amount of activities for all age groups and it has some beautiful parts of town. It also has its drawbacks, but I think most people are happy there unless they TRULY want a big city life (like me), which would hopefully lead them elsewhere besides BR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge