Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 AM

110 posts, read 390,320 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for you pont..i think there may be more former baton rougeans who my eventually chime in .

these points actually support my original 10, and then some.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-07-2008 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: just merging
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
We've had 9 pages and 2 1/2 weeks of posts for anyone to chime in. I think the general concensus of opinion is that there are more than 10 Top Reasons TO Move to Baton Rouge...people like it there. Obviously more than D.C. (and how that got into the mix is still a mystery to me...).

Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,457 times
AS a mom of a child, I love Baton Rouge and there are plenty of things to do here for us as a family. I have been to Lake Charles and found a lot of nice people there too, but still think the people here are number one. yes, it is busy, but if one does not like it, then move. Yes, there is crime, every town from here to Timbucktoo has that, some more than others. I love it here and some days I hate it here, but all in all, it is great here for us!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:44 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrone1 View Post
I am from Lake Charles and do not remember disliking it as much as I dislike Baton Rouge. Lake Charles has character, something Baton Rouge lacks in my opinion. Lake Charles is, of course, much smaller (population ~100k), but is incredibly well-designed, filled with a fair amount of activities for all age groups and it has some beautiful parts of town. It also has its drawbacks, but I think most people are happy there unless they TRULY want a big city life (like me), which would hopefully lead them elsewhere besides BR.
Character in Lake Charles? Really? What character is that? Lake Charles has very few restaurants, minimal in matters of shopping, the vast majority of people there are all highly uneducated, very minimal in terms of single scene/nightlife and the college there is mediocre at best. By the way the population in Lake Charles is closer to 70K than 100k. Anything Nubian listed as what he hated about BR can be doubled in regards to LC.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:53 PM

67 posts, read 248,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Character in Lake Charles? Really? What character is that? Lake Charles has very few restaurants, minimal in matters of shopping, the vast majority of people there are all highly uneducated, very minimal in terms of single scene/nightlife and the college there is mediocre at best. By the way the population in Lake Charles is closer to 70K than 100k. Anything Nubian listed as what he hated about BR can be doubled in regards to LC.
I'm going to simply disagree. To each their own.

I grew up in Lake Charles and thought any city would be better. When I got to Baton Rouge for college 4.5 years ago, I realized after about 2 years that quantity (larger population) does not equal quality. I see more potential in Lake Charles to develop than I do in Baton Rouge into a real mecca of Louisiana and the South after only having been here a while. The best part of Baton Rouge to me is that New Orleans is nearby... which isn't a part of Baton Rouge at all...

However, I'll say it again; to each his own.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,489 times
Long time reader of City-Data Forums, but new member and first time poster. I found this particular thread while searching for BR Gustav updates as I still have many friends in BR. It intrigued me enough that I finally registered...LOL

Whether or not you enjoy living in BR depends on your own perspective and what you're looking for in a community. The same can be said about anywhere. Many long term residents of BR wouldn't live anywhere else.

I lived in BR from 1976 to 1989. I attended Jr High, Sr High and LSU while there. My first "real" job after college graduation was in BR. Prior to BR, my family lived in Chicago and Charlotte NC. The reason for the BR move was a job transfer for my father.

I am an educated, caucasian, single, straight, professionally employed female. I was personally frustrated in BR with the low wages, limited professional employment opportunities, limited entertainment venues and limited cultural events.

I also did not like the "good ol' boy culture" and what I personally considered a community that was overly conservative and somewhat closed minded.

I did what was right for me and moved. I enjoy living in larger cities and the amenities that they offer. I have since lived in Atlanta and Tampa. I do not regret leaving BR and feel it was the best decision for me. Personally, I would have felt trapped and unfulfilled had I remained in BR.

I have many friends who stayed in BR, and I have many friends who have moved. Most of the friends who stayed were born and raised there. Most of the friends that moved are like my family and were transferred to BR by one of the large chemical companies. Different perspectives, different thoughts on whether or not BR is an ideal place to live.

I still visit BR often to meet with old friends. I have seen a lot of changes since I've lived there...some good, some not so good. Again, pretty much like anywhere else. For some, BR is the perfect place to live. For me, it was not.

On a positive note, there are things I miss about BR that I have not been able to find elsewhere.

My personal best list for BR and Southern Louisiana:

1) Strong Sense of Family among Residents
2) Scenic Drives on River Road
3) The French Quarter
4) Cafe Du Monde
5) A Properly Made Hurricane (drink not the storm)
6) Drive thru Frozen Daiquiris
7) LSU Tailgating
8) THE FOOD!!! (especially gumbo and muffalettas)
9) Crawfish Boils
10) Tubing Down the Amite

Follow your dreams wherever they may lead. Live where you are happiest, wherever that may be.

Peace

Old 09-10-2008, 01:13 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdreamer36 View Post
Long time reader of City-Data Forums, but new member and first time poster. I found this particular thread while searching for BR Gustav updates as I still have many friends in BR. It intrigued me enough that I finally registered...LOL

Whether or not you enjoy living in BR depends on your own perspective and what you're looking for in a community. The same can be said about anywhere. Many long term residents of BR wouldn't live anywhere else.

I lived in BR from 1976 to 1989. I attended Jr High, Sr High and LSU while there. My first "real" job after college graduation was in BR. Prior to BR, my family lived in Chicago and Charlotte NC. The reason for the BR move was a job transfer for my father.

I am an educated, caucasian, single, straight, professionally employed female. I was personally frustrated in BR with the low wages, limited professional employment opportunities, limited entertainment venues and limited cultural events.

I also did not like the "good ol' boy culture" and what I personally considered a community that was overly conservative and somewhat closed minded.

I did what was right for me and moved. I enjoy living in larger cities and the amenities that they offer. I have since lived in Atlanta and Tampa. I do not regret leaving BR and feel it was the best decision for me. Personally, I would have felt trapped and unfulfilled had I remained in BR.

I have many friends who stayed in BR, and I have many friends who have moved. Most of the friends who stayed were born and raised there. Most of the friends that moved are like my family and were transferred to BR by one of the large chemical companies. Different perspectives, different thoughts on whether or not BR is an ideal place to live.

I still visit BR often to meet with old friends. I have seen a lot of changes since I've lived there...some good, some not so good. Again, pretty much like anywhere else. For some, BR is the perfect place to live. For me, it was not.

On a positive note, there are things I miss about BR that I have not been able to find elsewhere.

My personal best list for BR and Southern Louisiana:

1) Strong Sense of Family among Residents
2) Scenic Drives on River Road
3) The French Quarter
4) Cafe Du Monde
5) A Properly Made Hurricane (drink not the storm)
6) Drive thru Frozen Daiquiris
7) LSU Tailgating
8) THE FOOD!!! (especially gumbo and muffalettas)
9) Crawfish Boils
10) Tubing Down the Amite

Follow your dreams wherever they may lead. Live where you are happiest, wherever that may be.

Peace
Fladreamer,

I too left BR back in the 80s, but still visit when time allows. I was born in New Orleans, but spent most of my formative years in the capital, which was the 60s 70s and early 80s.

I will be the first to say that I absolutely hated and despised BR and like you, felt trapped here. I too left for "greener pastures", and with that, came it's ups and downs. However, I have no regrets leaving BR. For some, it is the perfect place, others, it is not. It is not the worst place on earth and does have some very good qualities about it.

I will say and I thought I would never make this statement, but BR has indeed come a long way and is on track to becoming a dynamic place to live, work and play in it's own right.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 PM

102 posts, read 332,604 times
It really depends on where you are in life. I left here right after graduation and lived in just about every major metropolitan area you can think of here and in Europe, including D.C. (yes I LOVED the Metro!). My company liked transferring folks around and I was doing what single career focused people do. I loved it and wouldn't trade a minute of it. But my parents aged and my father became ill so I moved back here to work for "the university" you speak. I thought I would be miserable... at first I was... but now 2 years later I love it. No its not perfect and I do miss a lot of the things you mention, but now that I'm in my mid 40's I don't really do a lot of them anymore either. I've enjoyed the new things that have come here like Perkins Rowe, Shaw Center, etc., and I look forward to more interesting venues in the future. Will I stay here once I retire in 15 years? I don't know, if the taxes are the same as they are now, probably not. But I will keep a winter home here, it would be a nice place to come back to every year. Oh and they people? I love them, nothing but wonderful experiences since I been here and I'm African American too. Things have really changed here for the most part from the way they were when I was a kid. I think most people would be surprised at how much the south has progressed. Sure there are still pockets, but those old pockets are everywhere. I really believe the good out weighs the bad here all around.... except for when it comes to taxes... we are being taxed to death here.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 PM

629 posts, read 901,019 times
I would think the heat and humidity of the summers down there would wear anyone out. It's close to 100 everday there in the summer with the heat index. I'd take a northern winter (which we get breaks in the cold), as to a southern summer. The summers there are brutal and relentless. People probably spend as much time indoors as someone would during a northern winter.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I would think the heat and humidity of the summers down there would wear anyone out. It's close to 100 everday there in the summer with the heat index. I'd take a northern winter (which we get breaks in the cold), as to a southern summer. The summers there are brutal and relentless. People probably spend as much time indoors as someone would during a northern winter.
Yes, I agree. I love the weather here though. I come from south Florida and it was 85 degrees Christmas Day there and in the 50's here. Summer time is tough, but it is already getting "cooler" at night with a nice breeze. it is all relative to where you are from,south Florida weather sucks and the weather here is divine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge