U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2008, 07:19 PM
 
15 posts, read 48,744 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

My husband is going to be working in the Baton Rouge area for at least a month, possibly longer. I need assistance finding temporary furnished housing that includes utilities and high speed internet access.

I also need determining what areas of town are the safest. We know nothing about BR or any other city in LA for that matter. My husband will be working primarily in BR, but he can stay outside of BR too. He prefers to be near the area he will be working, but he can stay 40-50 minutes outside of BR if necessary.

I have come across a few places advertised online that I have inquired about but was wondering about the areas they are in. Can anyone tell me about some of these areas or neighborhoods?

Highland/Magnolia Woods near Sammy's
Tigerland
Denham Springs
Sherwood
Reserve at Cedar Lodge (Corporate @ Jefferson Hwy)
Bocage
Burbank near LSU & The Mall of Louisiana
Towne Center (Jefferson Hwy @ Palm Park Ln)
Burbank Estates
Amite River area in west EBR (Horsehoe Bend @ Hooshootoo Rd)
Historic Garden District (Park Blvd)

I can really use an advice and help available asap.

It is possible my husband may have to work in NBR. From what I can tell, this area is pretty bad. What should he watch out for there? Are some areas there worst than others?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,111,479 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siscoe View Post
My husband is going to be working in the Baton Rouge area for at least a month, possibly longer. I need assistance finding temporary furnished housing that includes utilities and high speed internet access.

I also need determining what areas of town are the safest. We know nothing about BR or any other city in LA for that matter. My husband will be working primarily in BR, but he can stay outside of BR too. He prefers to be near the area he will be working, but he can stay 40-50 minutes outside of BR if necessary.

I have come across a few places advertised online that I have inquired about but was wondering about the areas they are in. Can anyone tell me about some of these areas or neighborhoods?

Highland/Magnolia Woods near Sammy's
Tigerland
Denham Springs
Sherwood
Reserve at Cedar Lodge (Corporate @ Jefferson Hwy)
Bocage
Burbank near LSU & The Mall of Louisiana
Towne Center (Jefferson Hwy @ Palm Park Ln)
Burbank Estates
Amite River area in west EBR (Horsehoe Bend @ Hooshootoo Rd)
Historic Garden District (Park Blvd)

I can really use an advice and help available asap.

It is possible my husband may have to work in NBR. From what I can tell, this area is pretty bad. What should he watch out for there? Are some areas there worst than others?
First off, he can work in NBR and still live in SBR. That's not a problem. Tigerland isn't a favorable area just because it is mostly student property and it tends to be dark and have some thefts in the area. The advantage to student properties though is that they typically provide internet/cable, etc. They also sometimes offer short term leases. They don't typically offer furnished units though. I have heard of corporate type places doing that here in town, but I don't know them by name. I do know that we have several companies that rent out furniture to short term leasees (Cort Furniture, Aarons, etc), and in some cases the property managers will work that out for you. Just ask them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 PM
 
15 posts, read 48,744 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you.

Can you tell me about the area around Corporate and Jefferson Hwy and also the area around the Amite River in west East BR?

I may have located a unit in both places. The one near the Amite River is still questionable due to flooding in the area and the loss of power. I also have found a place available in the Garden District, but it is only available for a week and my husband will need it longer than that.

It is late and I am exhausted, I just realized that my initial post had a ton of typos. I apologize.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
 
15 posts, read 48,744 times
Reputation: 15
I might add that there are a lot of insurance adjusters and FEMA workers looking for similar properties right now and dealing with the same questions that I have, so the more info that others in the area can offer the better. You will not only be helping me out, but many others as well.

TIA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM
 
15 posts, read 48,744 times
Reputation: 15
What is it like around Central/Comite Hills?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,111,479 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siscoe View Post
Thank you.

Can you tell me about the area around Corporate and Jefferson Hwy and also the area around the Amite River in west East BR?

I may have located a unit in both places. The one near the Amite River is still questionable due to flooding in the area and the loss of power. I also have found a place available in the Garden District, but it is only available for a week and my husband will need it longer than that.

It is late and I am exhausted, I just realized that my initial post had a ton of typos. I apologize.
Corporate at Jefferson is called the Bocage area. This is one of the nicer and higher end areas of the city proper. There are plenty of things, services, shopping, etc in this area of town. I live in this area and can't beat the price I'm paying. I can't tell you much about the far eastern EBR. I rarely go down Hoo Soo Too and I'm not up Greenwell Springs that much. I know some people that live over there, but I'm just not familiar with their standard of living. I don't think they're bad areas, I know that. It's just too far from downtown for me and I work downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 AM
 
15 posts, read 48,744 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks for the reply. That is very helpful to have a better idea of what the area around Corporate and Jefferson is like. I assume, with everything around there, it should not be too hard to find a Barnes and Noble either, right? My husband needs internet connection for work and he sometimes likes to sit in Barnes and Noble while he works.

Unless something else comes up, I think we may be leaning more towards this area. I think the office is somewhere on Jefferson too, so that should be convenient whenever he has to go into the office.

Thanks for your help.

The property near the Amite is a little cheaper, but I'd like to know more about the area before we take that one. Does nayone have any info on that area?

I would still like to know about some of the other areas, just in case our 2 possibilities do not work out. If anyone else has any input, that would be great.

I also wonder about commute times from the the Bocage area to NBR and from EBR to NBR.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,111,479 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siscoe View Post
Thanks for the reply. That is very helpful to have a better idea of what the area around Corporate and Jefferson is like. I assume, with everything around there, it should not be too hard to find a Barnes and Noble either, right? My husband needs internet connection for work and he sometimes likes to sit in Barnes and Noble while he works.

Unless something else comes up, I think we may be leaning more towards this area. I think the office is somewhere on Jefferson too, so that should be convenient whenever he has to go into the office.

Thanks for your help.

The property near the Amite is a little cheaper, but I'd like to know more about the area before we take that one. Does nayone have any info on that area?

I would still like to know about some of the other areas, just in case our 2 possibilities do not work out. If anyone else has any input, that would be great.

I also wonder about commute times from the the Bocage area to NBR and from EBR to NBR.

There's a Barnes & Noble and a Books-A-Milion on Corporate between Jefferson and College Drive. Neither are long drives. CCs coffee is on Jefferson as well, they have wifi and they serve good coffee. They practically beat out Starbucks here because it's local. Community Coffee.
There is a Whole Foods Market in Towne Center, along with plenty of other shopping and restaurants like P F Changs, Champps Americana, Bonefish Grille, Flemings... down the road near College there is a Hooters, On the Border, Ruby Tuesday, etc. The main hotel corridor in town is also near College and Constitution. This should give you an idea of the type of area you're dealing with. Low crime, usually active, although Jefferson does quiet down after around 8pm.
The commute to NBR, depends on where you're going up there. To one of the plants, shouldn't take long at all. You'd probably do best driving out to Airline Hwy and then up Airline which will practically take you NBR and the barge terminal areas and EXXON. Probably take about 15 minutes in no traffic, maybe 30-40 in heavy traffic. I can commute to downtown in 10 minutes in the morning if I'm early and ahead of the rush. In the afternoons, it takes at least 30 minutes to get home. Our rush hour can be hectic. Mainly 7-9am and 3-6pm, and lunch time in some areas like College Drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,111,479 times
Reputation: 244
Check the Warwick on Jefferson Hwy. Their rent usually includes basics light cable/internet, and electricity I hear. They also have power right now. They are a Patrician Property. And I know someone over there that just moved into another apartment on site, so maybe there's an opening.
8001 Jefferson Hwy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 04:19 PM
 
15 posts, read 48,744 times
Reputation: 15
Darylwi -

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top