U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj View Post
I have a possible job in Baker, LA. Can anyone tell me anything about the area as I currently live in Florida and know absolutely nothing about it. Thanks!
i have lived in Baker for over 52 years. I have seen Baker go down in the number of people. but i do not see to much change in the people caring about others. i have watch zachary taxes go up, and baker stay down. I have seen the crime rate in Baker, Zachary, and Central go up since this generation of young people have came alone!!! I feel just as comfortable in my home in Baker then any where else. Were you choose to live is up to you. But remember these words, where there is alot of people and business
there is a high crime rate. Think about it for you make a choice.
Both Zachary and Central or just wetting their feet on their on, Baker has been on their on for a while.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 722 times
I have lived in Baker for about 40 years. I've seen my small town change pretty dramatically over the last 20 or so, especially after Katrina. Regardless of what people say, Baker is still a fairly safe town to live in. I live in a mixed neighborhood. White neighbor on one side of me, black on the other. Mostly black on my street. Yards are kept up, we all socialize and speak to each other, watch each other's homes, its a decent area. The mayor is black, very smart, and very approachable (as someone else here mentioned) and is working hard to pull Baker back up to what it once was. I mention "black" and "white" a lot because Baker seems to get thrown into some category. But really, it's split pretty much half and half, leaning more to black. We have good people here, its safe, and its clean. Yes, some businesses closed, but larger ones are beginning to trickle in. Towns must go through this at some point; tear down old buildings to make room for new ones. Someone described the main strip (Hwy 19) in another thread here as looking like a "third world country". Yes, there are some closed businesses, but there is also development. Keep in mind, as someone above stated, Baker has been on it's own for a LOT longer than Zachary or Central. We have a great mayor, a young, smart, and honest chief of Police, and caring citizens. I've known the chief since we were kids in high school, as well as many of the police officers. They do a great job keeping the town safe, patrolling neighborhoods regularly. The fire department drives around at Christmas every year to every street in Baker with Santa Clause and they throw out candy and stuff. We also have the Buffalo festival with rides, food, music, and dancing.

So, before you just accept the negatives some people have thrown out about Baker... take it from a white, lifetime resident... Baker still has the same positives it had when I was younger. There are some different people here, but they are decent, simple people. There are some closing businesses here, but most of them needed to go, and make room for what is coming presently. Baker is currently in the midst of change.

If there is a negative to be said about Baker, it would be the school system. But it is starting to get better now. They have a lot of work to do still, but they are making progress.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge