U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 20,677 times

Advertisements

Hi, hope this question doesn't bore you too much as you may have responded to it many times before.;-)

I relocated here in August and started to work at LSU, and am thinking to buy my first home, possibly a condo or townhouse near to LSU as I am still single. The condos I have looked into are usually within 5 miles away from LSU and are kinda pricey, ~200K - 240K. For someone having a job for not long, this is a BIG investment. So I am wondering whether the condo or townhouse has a stable market value and whether it is easy to resell after a few years. Also, is it better to buy new ones than old ones? I noticed that for similar living area and location, the cost of a new condo could be more expensive than an old family house...

Thanks for your time and your suggestions are highly appreciated!
April
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,186,830 times
I'd recommend that you NOT buy now. Wait a year to see how the economy fares. Chances are good that there may be a major economic recession nationwide or even a depression within the next year.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,121,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I'd recommend that you NOT buy now. Wait a year to see how the economy fares. Chances are good that there may be a major economic recession nationwide or even a depression within the next year.
And, thanks to GO-Zone bonds issued after Katrina, contractors went on a speculative binge building houses and (especially) apartments for several years. I think there is a glut of both, and when the Louisiana economy slows down thanks to currently plunging oil prices, you may get a deal on real estate.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 PM

794 posts, read 3,148,589 times
Agree with you both. With oil prices plummeting, the state is already having to revisit it's budget for next fiscal year. Louisiana isn't hurting much yet, but we'll be a part of this recession yet, and real quick. I'd hold off the major purchases for a while unless I found something already in foreclosure and for a deal. Within Baton Rouge, prices really don't have much more room to go up right now. That means they'll probably drop a little in the near future and then level out again. Too many places in this city are already overpriced.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,121,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Agree with you both. With oil prices plummeting, the state is already having to revisit it's budget for next fiscal year. Louisiana isn't hurting much yet, but we'll be a part of this recession yet, and real quick. I'd hold off the major purchases for a while unless I found something already in foreclosure and for a deal. Within Baton Rouge, prices really don't have much more room to go up right now. That means they'll probably drop a little in the near future and then level out again. Too many places in this city are already overpriced.
By the way prices have fallen, I wonder if the economic calamity of the mid 80s will return. Probably the answer is "no" because we're not as dependent on oil and gas as before, but they still play a major role in the economies of Lafayette, Houma, and Morgan City.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
By the way prices have fallen, I wonder if the economic calamity of the mid 80s will return. Probably the answer is "no" because we're not as dependent on oil and gas as before, but they still play a major role in the economies of Lafayette, Houma, and Morgan City.
We won't be out of the woods for at least 4 years, I'll predict.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 AM

794 posts, read 3,148,589 times
You would think we wouldn't be so heavily dependent on oil revenue now, but from the sounds of things, we still must be. They're already talking about reworking the budget, hiring freezes, etc.
I don't think 2009 is going to be a good year.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM

If you saw the front page of this past Sunday's Advocate, then you know that the revenue base from state income taxes is in decline.

This will certainly have some effect on housing prices, and, likewise, a decrease in housing starts as time goes by.

The article stated that about 90,000 jobs have gone begging over the past year or two.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 AM

102 posts, read 308,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
How true! And I agree, if you can, hold off, but watch closely. Continue to check the prices in the paper every Sunday for the areas you are interested in. Usually Condos / townhouses drop the earliest and the fastest. In fact that has already happened in some areas (i.e. Jefferson Hwy / Bocage) however with the LSU area its a little different because of the people that buy for college students and then rent them out as extra income once their kids graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge