Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 154,823 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relocation to BR from Philadelphia.

We really like the city life the way Phily is set up. It's a really walkable city, with very urban neighborhoods, shops, restaurants, etc.

Are there nicer areas of Baton Rouge that have that downtown walkable neighborhood type of feel?

Thanks for your help!

Genevieve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 71,730 times
I haven't lived in Baton Rouge for over 20 years, but when I was there, there was nothing like that. Unless they've gentrified areas like Spanish Town (used to be nothing but crime when I was there) recently....

Old 10-02-2006, 08:42 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June Cleaver's Revenge View Post
I haven't lived in Baton Rouge for over 20 years, but when I was there, there was nothing like that. Unless they've gentrified areas like Spanish Town (used to be nothing but crime when I was there) recently....
They're starting to revitalize downtown (Spanish Town is on the edge of downtown) some, but about the only "walkable" area I can think of would be a section of the Garden District called the "Perkins Road Overpass" which is roughlt where Perkins Road and I-10 are. There are some shops and restaurants (and some older houses that are pretty well kept up) along that section of Perkins.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 AM

4 posts, read 16,333 times
The idea has been talked about in recent years but not much like that is really available. There is a new area under development near the mall of louisiana that is supposed to be a walking area with shopping, housing, movies, etc all connected by common areas. I don't recall the name of the development (maybe perkins rowe?) but I'm sure it is pricey. I hope you are used to traffic in Penn b/c it is really bad here in B.R.!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana101 View Post
The idea has been talked about in recent years but not much like that is really available. There is a new area under development near the mall of louisiana that is supposed to be a walking area with shopping, housing, movies, etc all connected by common areas. I don't recall the name of the development (maybe perkins rowe?) but I'm sure it is pricey. I hope you are used to traffic in Penn b/c it is really bad here in B.R.!
Yes, it's Perkins Rowe. Traffic in that area (Blubonnet/Perkins/Mall of Louisiana) will become worse of a nightmare than it is now.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 PM

Thank you so much!

This is exactly what I was hoping for

Old 10-04-2006, 07:07 PM

...except I learned today that the plans for all those cool condos have ceased and there will be limited residential space.

Does anyone know anything about what the plane is Perkins Rowe now (retail, restaurants, etc.--has all this development also been stopped?

Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,981 times
I'm not sure which condo projects that you heard were cancelled. I haven't heard of any. There are several new large condo developments being built now or soon to be built. These are three of them. There are more. There's also one on Jefferson, Towne Center. Lots more too, I just can't think of them right off hand.

http://www.riverplacebr.com/batonRouge.html (broken link)
http://www.crescent-condos.com/ (broken link)
http://www.perkinsrowe.com/

Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
...except I learned today that the plans for all those cool condos have ceased and there will be limited residential space.

Does anyone know anything about what the plane is Perkins Rowe now (retail, restaurants, etc.--has all this development also been stopped?
Perkins Rowe has NOT stopped. In fact, there is now the shell of a multi-story building facing Pekins now. Keep in mind it will be at LEAST a year from when this will all be completed.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:47 PM

Thanks much for the info and the helpful links.

I know that plans for Perkins Rowe have in no way stopped, but I was told the plans for the residential living spaces have been scaled down, and they will be smaller now. I'm not sure if this means the condos themselves will be smaller, or whether there will be fewer of them, or both.

Has anyone heard this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: