U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,199 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband may be relocated from PA to the western Baton Rouge area. He really wants the job if an offer is made but I have my reservations as I have read a whole lot of negatives on this board about living in Louisiana. I really love the area we currently live in here in PA so the decision to move is very difficult for me.

I was wondering if anyone who lives just west of Baton Rouge can tell me what life is like there and what towns (rural or suburban) are considered to be more desireable. I will probably homeschool our small children so public education will not be much of an issue. I am curious about lifestyle and of course very concerned about the crime stats. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback you may have to offer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 AM

100 posts, read 368,007 times
West Baton Rouge is not as densly populated as Baton Rouge. The west side of the river is more "Cajun" than "Redneck". The people are very nice. There is a lot of agriculture, shipping (port of BR), and industrial centers in West Baton Rouge. There is not as much infrastructure there, but it really doesn't matter because you would be so close to Baton Rouge.

There are a lot of industrial jobs on that side of the river. Port Allen is mostly folks who work in Downtown Baton Rouge or at one of the refineries. The Brusly school district just south of Port Allen is improving every year, and homes are relatively affordable. That area is all suburbia, though.

I don't go there often, but New Roads and St. Francisville are very beautiful towns not far from the major job centers in BR, though New Roads' public schools are a joke (good affordable private schools, though), but if you like watersports then False River is the place to be. Plaquimine (sp?) is also a pretty little town a short drive away from Baton Rouge.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:02 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,138,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngal View Post
Hi, my husband may be relocated from PA to the western Baton Rouge area. He really wants the job if an offer is made but I have my reservations as I have read a whole lot of negatives on this board about living in Louisiana. I really love the area we currently live in here in PA so the decision to move is very difficult for me.

I was wondering if anyone who lives just west of Baton Rouge can tell me what life is like there and what towns (rural or suburban) are considered to be more desireable. I will probably homeschool our small children so public education will not be much of an issue. I am curious about lifestyle and of course very concerned about the crime stats. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback you may have to offer.
By "west" I assume you're talking about across the Miss. River in West Baton Rouge/Pointe Coupee/Iberville Parishes. These areas are poorer and have a lot of petrochemical plants, with sugarcane farms taking up the rest. However, West Baton Rouge Parish (Port Allen, Brusly, Addis) is kind of a "best kept secret", with great access to downtown BR, and a country atmosphere. Someday, those sugarcane farmers will sell their land off to subdivision developers. Lately, I've noticed (in W. Baton Rouge Parish) decent subdivisions popping up on LA 1 in Brusly/Addis just south of I-10. You may want to check there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge