Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 31,012 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, professional female in my early twenties. Since moving down here I haven't been able to meet a ton of single people (for dating or friendship). It seems like everybody else my age is already married and trying to start a family.

Are there any places where it wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary for me to go hang out after work or on a Saturday night by myself? I'm a homebody but it's getting a little monotonous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:43 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
Early 20s? Have you tried around LSU, or are you just not into that?
Downtown has a pretty decent scene later in the week say Thursday-Saturday. Sunday in the Park has been a fairly good hit.
Honestly, for me, the best way to just get out and socialize is to get outside and be active. Jogging on the levee path or around the LSU lakes is good and you'll begin to meet the same people out there over time.
BREC also offers athletic sports that are frequented by singles or even just couples that like to be out often and mingle. Tennis is a good start. Round Robin tennis is even better. It's perfect for novice players too and it's a lot more casual than playing in a league. We chat it up all the time in round robin.
BREC softball, BRSA soccer, RSAK kickball. We even have adult kickball here and it is dominated by the 20-30 crowd although there are people well over that who play. To me, all of those have been great social networks, but I know everyone has their own cup of tea they prefer to drink.
BTR has traditionally been a very conservative city and the nature was just to get married, have kids, go to church, and live life. The scene within the city itself has changed a lot in recent years. The married conservative types are moving to the suburbs and the single liberal youth tend to stay within the city now. I'm not saying anything is right or wrong with that. It's just the nature of larger cities these days.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,482 times
I love the wine bars... the Grape and the Wineloft. But I don't know if I would go by myself, and I used to go out alone all the time in the small town I lived in years ago. Can you talk a girlfriend at work into going with you? I've gone to Phil Brady's a few times by myself to listen to music, it was OK. I'd probably do that again.

The above poster gave great advice. I also have heard that the volleyball club on Sherwood is great for meeting people and getting out. I think the name is Mango's or something like that.

Just FYI, I would suggest that you consider taking night classes in something that interests you, either for college credit or just for enjoyment or whatever. I've made a lot of friends that way. It's very hard for singles to have a social life here in BR. And if you think its bad now, wait till you are almost 40 I'm gonna start checking out the personals once I lose some of this darn weight!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpkin_pumpkin View Post
I'm a single, professional female in my early twenties. Since moving down here I haven't been able to meet a ton of single people (for dating or friendship). It seems like everybody else my age is already married and trying to start a family.

Are there any places where it wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary for me to go hang out after work or on a Saturday night by myself? I'm a homebody but it's getting a little monotonous.
There are a few bars around LSU campus you can go, although I tend to agree BR is a terribly boring place to live, for singles or for couples. I sometimes drive alone aimlessly during weekend, just for the sake of it.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:08 PM

102 posts, read 332,640 times
Default Another single looking for activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
.... I sometimes drive alone aimlessly during weekend, just for the sake of it.

OMG!!! Me Too!!! And the other person that mentioned it worst when you are in your 40's is correct. I'm not the sporty type so kick ball, jogging etc won't work for me. In other cities I normally met people through work, church, etc. But that is not happening here as most people are married and instead of children they are dealing with grandchildren... so no time to just hang out with a single person. Gosh I feel so old here but never felt that way in other cities, LOL. I've gone to some non physical BREC activities and they were really fun, but again most of the folks were couples or senior citizens. There is a lot for seniors to do here via BREC or Council on Aging, but I'm not there yet! LOL However, its nice to know those things will be around when I am there!

I did go to White Light Night last week in mid city. That was nice and I got to talk to a lot of folks and buy some unique Christmas gifts. They tell me it was a smaller turn out than some years, but it still was plenty fun for me. I wish they would close off the streets next year, I think even more folks would come if they did that.

While there I discovered a lot of restaurants I want to go back and try, will probably do so alone. I miss places that have wine and cheese flights and tables really close so that those alone can discuss the flights with those that are in a group as they work through them if they so choose. Baton Rouge really needs a place like that... or if there is one already please let me know.

Also let me know if there are any places that hold general wine tastings, monthly craft shows, art hops or antique walk abouts. Those were also good ways for me to meet people in other cities but haven't been able to find activities like that here.

One final question, do anyone know if there are any movie theaters in the area that serve dinner? In the Dallas area we had movie theaters that were set up with tables and served dinner, thus you could eat dinner while watching the movie. That was a great venue for a single person you could have dinner out but be occupied with the movie and not miss having a conversation with someone.

thanks!

Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaBeta View Post

One final question, do anyone know if there are any movie theaters in the area that serve dinner? In the Dallas area we had movie theaters that were set up with tables and served dinner, thus you could eat dinner while watching the movie. That was a great venue for a single person you could have dinner out but be occupied with the movie and not miss having a conversation with someone.

thanks!
Now that sounds like fun. There are still plenty of things Baton Rouge doesn't have that it probably should. I mean, we have 5 huge theaters here now; one could serve dinner or do something else different but fun.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
^ My wife and I stopped going to movies because the Baton Rouge folks appear to think that it's OK to carry on conversations and even talk on their cell phones while others are trying to watch the movie. To give you an idea about how long ago that was, it was the July 4th weekend of whatever year Independence Day was released. Can't imagine trying to enjoy a movie where waiters and waitresses are taking orders, delivering food and bussing tables.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:13 AM

You have to go during the day. I have never had a problem going to the matinees sofar (at any theater). The night showings, it depends on the movie and the crowd, and my mood .

Old 12-04-2008, 07:52 AM

97 posts, read 285,378 times
If you like antique shopping, check out the antique district in downtown Denham Springs. There is also 2 other shops in Walker. One is Country Home Antiques and the other is Kindred Hearts.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:33 PM

102 posts, read 332,640 times
Thanks Loralcb, will check them out! I love antique shopping. I'm currently on those small bar cabinets that people used to keep in there homes during the art deco era (they looked liked storage until you opened them up, so I will adventure out to those places and see if I find anything.

Darylwi I agree on going during the day to the movies, its quiet, sometimes empty, and very comfortable for singles.

Rosinante the movie theaters where you could eat dinner weren't noisy at all. They would only eat people and take orders before and during the previews. If you arrived later than that you had to wait for the next show. Each row is elevated like a normal theatre but there is plenty of room between rows so the waiters can get in and out. Somehow they time it so everyone is served before the actual movie starts. Once the movie starts, if you need someting you turn on the little soft light lcd disk on your table, use chalk and a small chalk board at your table to write what you want, they read it and silently bring it back to you. Their movements is nor more disturbing than when someone gets up to get popcorn in a normal movie. Once the credits start to roll, the lights come up and they come out to clear tables, take payments etc. It was really fun.... Oh and you would love this... they have a No Cellphone on policy, in fact they remind you to turn it off or to vibrate as they guide you to your table. They also tell you that you can only answer a vibrate call in the lobby. I can't remember ever hearing any chattering, probably because people are too busy trying to eat and watch the movie at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge