U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:03 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,750,947 times

Advertisements

So, i learned today that i am going to be in Baton Rouge in mid-Jan for a Monday - Wed for work. May have some free time and obviously will be looking for places to eat as well. So, as someone who has never been to BR, advice please......

Thanks,

G Rizzle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,162,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
So, i learned today that i am going to be in Baton Rouge in mid-Jan for a Monday - Wed for work. May have some free time and obviously will be looking for places to eat as well. So, as someone who has never been to BR, advice please......

Thanks,

G Rizzle
Tell us what kind of food you like, and we'll be happy to help.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Tell us what kind of food you like, and we'll be happy to help.
Thanks. I am not picky at all and love to try new things. I would like to go to a place that the locals consider some of the finest "local" food. I know LA has its own style and since i have never been there i would like to try it.

G Rizzle

Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I am not picky at all and love to try new things. I would like to go to a place that the locals consider some of the finest "local" food. I know LA has its own style and since i have never been there i would like to try it.

G Rizzle
Glad to help - pls note I am NOT putting any chain restaurants in here Below is a sample of places I thought are worth mentioning.......

(1) Cafe Americain (at Jefferson Hwy and Lobdell next to the Baskin Robbins) - their sweet potato fries and hushpuppies are A +
(2) City Cafe - (O'Neal Lane before it intersects with George O'Neal) Their maple crusted fish was one of my faves
(3) Sammy's (Highland Road next to Staring Lane) - they have really good fried cheese sticks
(4) Chimes (Highland Road at the north gates of LSU and a "Chimes East" on Coursey between Cedarcrest and Sherwood Forest) - I like their oyster poboy, but they have lots of dishes at a good price
(5) On the Half Shell - Bluebonnet between Burbank and Highland
(6) Mike Andersons (W Lee between Burbank and Nicholson) - my personal opinion is it's OK (as opposed to "Wow, this is the best seafood I've ever had !", and the staff have a bit of an attitude, but it IS a Baton Rouge fave
(7) George's (Perkins Road underneath I-10 and Highland/Staring)

Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 AM

Great, thanks. No chains, good work. I will be sure to check out a couple of those places and report back. Any sights worth seeing if i have time? I like sports, but also historical stuff and really anything fun. I'm pretty open.

G Rizzle

Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 AM

794 posts, read 3,173,320 times
You can't beat the Chimes, especially the atmosphere of the northgates location.
Great seafood experiences:
Parrain's. 3225 Perkins Rd, I like this place better than Mike Andersons actually.
Mike Andersons. 1031 W Lee Dr
Good local flare:
Boutin's. 8322 Bluebonnet Blvd
Great food altogether:
Capital City Grille, downtown under the Shaw Center or also on Sherwood near Coursey, but I frequent the downtown location for lunch and sometimes after hours. The bread pudding there is excellent.
George's Southside on Highland at Staring, great food. local atmosphere.
Walk-On's Bistreaux and Bar. 3838 Burbank Dr. Good food, great LSU atmosphere. More restuarant than sports bar but pretty split. On the southside of campus.

Sushi and ambient atmosphere:
Tsunamis on the roof of the Shaw Center downtown. It is more upscale and quickly becoming a local favorite. You also get a great view of downtown and the river from up there.

There are way too many good places in BTR to name but those and others listed in the previous post are some larger local favorites that nearly everyone knows about.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Great, thanks. No chains, good work. I will be sure to check out a couple of those places and report back. Any sights worth seeing if i have time? I like sports, but also historical stuff and really anything fun. I'm pretty open.

G Rizzle
- State Capitol
- Blueonnet Swamp
- Tunica Hills (great hiking)
- Tammany Trail (great bike bath in St Tammany Parish that starts in Abita Springs) - it doesn't hurt that the Old Abita Brewery (now an awesome restaurant) is right on the trail

Let me know what you think of either the cheese sticks or the sweer potato hush puppies

Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM

794 posts, read 3,173,320 times
Downtown, check out the capitol for sure. Historical in nature, you can view the legislative chambers and you can ride up to the top for a great view of the city, or Exxon, either one you prefer.

The Shaw Center usually has exhibits on show.

The Old State Capitol is a must.
The USS Kidd, if you like. But walking along the riverfront is a must as well.

Bluebonnet Swamp, maybe not the best time of year, but then again maybe a time without most of the mosquitos.

LSU, Natural History Museum.

Something very local if you just want to enjoy the outdoors: walk around city park lakes. If the weather is good enough, there will be plenty of people out there and it's pretty relaxing, minus the short walk right along Stanford Avenue which can be mildly nerving.

Live Music late in the week at the Roux House downtown. Happy's pub is across the street. They usually have music down at the Red Star and at 600 Main as well. Also music at Chelsea's at the Perkins Road Overpass, and Superior Grill late in the week as well.

Last edited by darylwi; 12-18-2008 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Concur with above post.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:08 PM

2,977 posts, read 5,868,667 times
The eating places mentioned I second. I wanted to add Mandinos, but I believe they are no longer in town. There was also a great seafood restaurant on Government St. (of which I can't recall the name), but it was excellent from what I've been told. Ralph and Kacoo's is "OK", but Mike Anderson's is a better place in terms of quality.

If you want to grab some delicious food, Tony's Seafood is a sure bet as well. They primarily sell fresh seafood, but also have hot plate lunches. My family has been getting their seafood here for decades and it's among the best in the area.

Definitely check out the "new" state capitol and the surrounding area. I love the gardens and scenery. The La arts and Science Center is great and it's a short stroll from the USS Kidd that Darlwi mentioned. I noticed when I went there during a recent trip home that most of the old trains that were there are gone. I don't know whether they are being restored or were junked?

Living far away and not getting home often, I really appreciate Baton Rouge more now and the city, especially the core downtown area is making a comeback.

I have a feeling you will love it there. Enjoy your stay.

Gil

Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,375,156 times
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Don's seafood yet! It is not located in the best part of town, but the establishment is very well-maintained and reputable. Service is friendly and the food is good. It is a little bit out of the way for non-locals, but it is definitely worth consideration. Parrain's is another good seafood establishment. It's located on Perkins Road almost directly under the interstate.

If time permits, you may want to visit Nottaway Plantation House outside the town of White Castle. Supposedly it is the largest plantation home in the south. A great in-town attraction is the Louisiana Rural Life Museum on Essen Lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge