Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 02:26 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,247,396 times

Advertisements

Started out as a beautiful day! The kids have been playing outside all morning and hubby has been working in the yard. I went to the Post Office and when I got home I noticed some bugs flying in the air with clear wings. Kinda fluttering in a way. At first I thought that they were flying ants but when I too a closer look at them they are longer than ants and do not appear to have any pinchers. After we ate lunch they were sooooo thick and covered the screens on the kitchen windows. My kids opted to come inside since they now covered the swing set. The neighbor was watering his bushes and they just kept swarming out. He said he did not know what they are.
I am trying to not freak out but I must say I am not a big fans of bugs especially those that come in my house. Can anybody tell me what they might be?? Hubby says newly hatched love bugs??????? I never knew them to have clear wings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,661,958 times
Do they look anything like this?

If so, they are termites.
They do swarm sometimes. But I've never seen an outside swarm, but It can probably happen.

I definitely would not take my word for it, though. I am about the farthest thing from a bug expert. lol

Old 04-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Do they look anything like this?

If so, they are termites.
They do swarm sometimes. But I've never seen an outside swarm, but It can probably happen.

I definitely would not take my word for it, though. I am about the farthest thing from a bug expert. lol
That was my first guess but I have NEVER Seen anything like it before. It was like it was snowing and it seemed I was the only neighbor freaking abt them. Others were still outside in their yards playing and what not. They kept finding their way in thru the kitchen window even though it was closed so I stuffed paper towels all around it to seal it off.
We ate dinner outside but the kids opted to not play on the swingset because they were still all over it but most had no wings anymore.
I walked around and there were tons of them dead all around. The ones by the kitchen window were all dead as well and no longer had their wings. I did not think that termites die after they lose their wings? I will read up on it some more.
I will say that the wings are not as big as in the termite pics I Have seen but the body looke very similar. I am hoping the rain tomorrow will get rid of them. If they are termites I am glad we have that termite contract! Though our home is stucco briak and hardi plank. Not sure they can do much damage there but who knows. I will also be calling Arrow on Monday abt them.
Thanx for you comment! Seems nobody has had the same problem.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:24 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,442,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
That was my first guess but I have NEVER Seen anything like it before. It was like it was snowing and it seemed I was the only neighbor freaking abt them. Others were still outside in their yards playing and what not. They kept finding their way in thru the kitchen window even though it was closed so I stuffed paper towels all around it to seal it off.
We ate dinner outside but the kids opted to not play on the swingset because they were still all over it but most had no wings anymore.
I walked around and there were tons of them dead all around. The ones by the kitchen window were all dead as well and no longer had their wings. I did not think that termites die after they lose their wings? I will read up on it some more.
I will say that the wings are not as big as in the termite pics I Have seen but the body looke very similar. I am hoping the rain tomorrow will get rid of them. If they are termites I am glad we have that termite contract! Though our home is stucco briak and hardi plank. Not sure they can do much damage there but who knows. I will also be calling Arrow on Monday abt them.
We've had termite swarmings in the spring. It's just one of those things like fire ants and mosquitos that are part of living here.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
We've had termite swarmings in the spring. It's just one of those things like fire ants and mosquitos that are part of living here.
We have been here for two years almost and this was new to us. Arrow will be out tomorrow for the bag of bugs so we will know for sure. Use to the mosquitoes. They were actually worse in Tx for us. The only time they were really bad here was right after the hurricane.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
BTR

5 posts, read 17,855 times
I have seen several swarms of termites over the years here in Baton Rouge especially in the spring. This is normal for termites to swarm but few survive to start a new colony so I don't worry about them when I see them outside swarming. It is a good idea to check around your home several times a year for signs of termites such as mud tunnels going into your home.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 AM

32 posts, read 93,306 times
did you ever figure out what these things were- we have them outside too and they are all over our child's swingset...they lose their wings and are ALL over..gross!! We are in NC

Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 AM

32 posts, read 93,306 times
well, I spoke to my bug person and they said it sounds like swarmers- swarming termites- GREAT!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 PM

96 posts, read 337,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
.... If they are termites I am glad we have that termite contract! Though our home is stucco briak and hardi plank. Not sure they can do much damage there but who knows. I will also be calling Arrow on Monday abt them.
hmm, I would still inspect the house though... cause your house is full of wood. Underneath the brink and stucco veneer are some sweet and juicy 2x4's ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge