U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 AM
BTR BTR started this thread

5 posts, read 17,128 times

Advertisements

I have to go to Houston regularly because of medical treatments and the drive is sometimes horrible because of I-10 traffic / construction so I fly a lot too. The cost of a flight from the Baton Rouge Airport to Houston is beyond ridiculous. I usually drive to New Orleans and fly for about $100 round trip which is usually about 3 times cheaper that the Baton Rouge Airport. I understand that the Baton Rouge Airport does not have a “low cost” carrier but Continental is almost 3 times cheaper flying out of New Orleans than Baton Rouge. That does not make much sense to me but I am sure in the aviation world of economics there has to be a reason. In the meantime Baton Rouge Metro Airport loses business. I will support the Baton Rouge Airport as often as I can afford too. I just wanted to vent my frustration a little.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM

2,980 posts, read 5,906,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR View Post
I have to go to Houston regularly because of medical treatments and the drive is sometimes horrible because of I-10 traffic / construction so I fly a lot too. The cost of a flight from the Baton Rouge Airport to Houston is beyond ridiculous. I usually drive to New Orleans and fly for about $100 round trip which is usually about 3 times cheaper that the Baton Rouge Airport. I understand that the Baton Rouge Airport does not have a “low cost” carrier but Continental is almost 3 times cheaper flying out of New Orleans than Baton Rouge. That does not make much sense to me but I am sure in the aviation world of economics there has to be a reason. In the meantime Baton Rouge Metro Airport loses business. I will support the Baton Rouge Airport as often as I can afford too. I just wanted to vent my frustration a little.
Thanks
BTR..In the last 3 years or so, I have flown into the N.O. Airport from BWI since the same scenario exists with the Harrisburg, PA airport near me. Using the bigger airport saves money, period.

I have saved as much as $250-300 on a round trip on a recent trip to La by flying into N.O. I will say the BR airport is beautiful and spacious since it has been upgraded, but it's just too expensive to justify using.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 PM

100 posts, read 370,933 times
I've noticed that the ATL/BR flights and Memphis/BR flights are very competitive with New Orleans, but the Houston flights are far from reasonable. Dallas flights are not much better either.

I have no idea why the Continental connector flight btw BR and Houston is so expensive. I know what you are talking about though.

If you are a good driver, you can do it in 4 and a half hours.

Continental airlines do seem to have more spacious planes....but maybe I'm just dreaming. I really hate flying, and I'm really looking forward to the new high speed rail between Gulfport, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Houston. Maybe with the stimulus we can see some more investment to speed this up!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:19 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,231,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
Maybe with the stimulus we can see some more investment to speed this up!
Thanks for the chuckle, comrade.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 PM
BTR BTR started this thread

5 posts, read 17,128 times
I sent the Baton Rouge Airport an email regarding my concern and asked if there was any hope of things changing. I got this automated email reply over a week ago...
"Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your request, compliment, or concern, we will respond to your request as soon as possible."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>