U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,729 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to purchase a home in Baton Rouge. We are drawn to the eclectic nature and charm of the Garden District and have found a home for sale on Park Blvd., just down the street from Government Street. Is this a safe place to live? We are really interested in residing in a quiet area and appreciate any advice/input. Thanks so much!

CMP
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,126,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpetschke View Post
My husband and I are looking to purchase a home in Baton Rouge. We are drawn to the eclectic nature and charm of the Garden District and have found a home for sale on Park Blvd., just down the street from Government Street. Is this a safe place to live? We are really interested in residing in a quiet area and appreciate any advice/input. Thanks so much!
CMP
It's very charming and is very accessible to downtown, but I don't think it's that safe, as you have poorer neighborhoods at the northern and western doorstep. Park Blvd especially. If you like old charm and have the $$, I think Southdowns, Old Goodwood, College Town, or University Acres may be more to your liking.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM

378 posts, read 1,126,037 times
You will do better the further east you get from Park Blvd. I love the garden district, but I would not buy close to Park. Stay near South Eugene and Hundred Oaks if you want to buy in this area. Zeeland Place and the other neighborhoods mentioned above will be more crime-free, although burglaries are frequent throughout this city. You're really asking for it if you buy on Park. Try Leiticia Street, there were a couple cute houses for sale in that area a few weeks ago when I went through. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I will try to help some more.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 PM

100 posts, read 367,141 times
Park Blvd itself isn't too bad, but there's a bad area just a couple of blocks to the west.

The crime in this area is mostly theft and vandalism. It's not as bad as a lot of people say.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,693 times
Wink i love the area

We purchased a home on Camelia, one block east of Park Blvd, more than six years ago when I kept my infant granddaughter there for two and a half years. I walked the area regularly, including Park Blvd, daily and never had a problem. We have been renting the home since, first to newly weds, then to three young women, none of whom had problems. I would not live on Park, though, because it is a major through street. All of Baton Rouge has its share of crime, but I love this area of town. Our renters are moving this month due to life changes, but we hope to find new ones and keep the house.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,333,966 times
Park is alright. Don't let the fear mongerers get to you. People who live in that area love it.

Be smart. Lock your doors and have an alarm. Don't keep your valuables in your car or out in your yard for the taking.

Move there. You won't regret it.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,127,039 times
Anything of any value that you leave outside will get stolen. I had a pretty bad experience living on Tulip. Used to see teenage boys roaming the streets looking in cars and on porches late at night when it would rain. got held up by gun point as I was loading groceries. 1 week before that somebody stole my bike that was chained down.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,333,966 times
I don't agree about Garden District having the same vibe as the Garden District. The houses are not as cute, and it does not feel as urban, do to lack of sidewalks and not as much on-street parking. A good friend of mine who lives on Park left his kayak out for weeks and it (shockingly) didn't disappear.

It's a walkable neighborhood. That means people will walk by your home occasionally. A few might decide they deserve that bike or leaf blower more than you do. But the fact remains that its one of the most popular and neighborhly neighborhoods in the city.

I know of a kid who was robbed at gunpoint and actually shot at by thugs on Lee Drive a block away from Perkins in Southdowns. This was only months ago.

As a rule, you aren't truly safe anywhere. But being intelligent (an example would be not walking alone down Lee Drive at midnight) goes a long, long way to making sure you don't have problems.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,127,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
A good friend of mine who lives on Park left his kayak out for weeks and it (shockingly) didn't disappear.
I'm not sure the demographic of urban males that are usually stealing from those neighborhoods can even swim. However, I see 15 year old "urban males" riding around on brand new $1000 women's hybrid road bikes all the time in the most impoverished ghettos of Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Quote:
I know of a kid who was robbed at gunpoint and actually shot at by thugs on Lee Drive a block away from Perkins in Southdowns. This was only months ago.

As a rule, you aren't truly safe anywhere. But being intelligent (an example would be not walking alone down Lee Drive at midnight) goes a long, long way to making sure you don't have problems.
So, you're safe so long as you don't walk alone after dark. Sounds great.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 AM

15,242 posts, read 22,514,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

So, you're safe so long as you don't walk alone after dark. Sounds great.
Just like any municipality located on planet Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge