U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Louisiana: Baton Rouge, good schools, renting, apartments for rent, hotel.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:26 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,071,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeeellis View Post
I will be down there in September - already decided that for sure. So... I have some time to look around. Do you (or anyone else) know about these areas?:

Drusilla, Denham Springs, Downtown Baton Rouge, Highland Plantation, Blue Bonnet, and the LSU area???Thanks!!
Drusilla, Downtown BR, Highland Pnantation, Bluebonnet, and the LSU area all go to East Baton Rouge Parish Schools, so I don't know if that is what you want for your son.

Denham Springs has good schools, but the commute to/from Denham to BR will be AWFUL. First you have the "leaving downtown" traffic, and after that, the I-12 traffic. And since there are only three ways to get to Denham from Baton Rouge (two of which involve Fla Blvd and the "wreck capital of the world" I-12), you'll be dealing with the heavy traffic to/from Livingston Parish. On top of that, you have truckers and travelers who use I-12 as an east-west route.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 PM

97 posts, read 261,078 times
As far as Denham Springs, I could not have said it any better than BRMan. I have lived in Denham most of my life. The schools are very good and I like the area. However, the traffic is a nightmare.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
How is the commute to and from the west side of the river to the airline drive area? I am also relocating soon.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,071,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cajun View Post
How is the commute to and from the west side of the river to the airline drive area? I am also relocating soon.
Not too bad crossing the river. Once you get to where I-10/110 meet, you're in gridlock at rush hour. However, if your job is in the north BR part of Airline, you're better off taking what we call the "old bridge" (Hwy 190). Any more specific questions, feel free to PM me

Old 04-06-2009, 04:25 PM

794 posts, read 3,118,258 times
Coming from all points south, Brusly, Addis, Plaquemine, LA-1 backs up pretty good across the ICWW between about 7:30-8:30am. And the river bridge itself backs up moreso after about 8am. So if you're ahead of it, you're fine. If you're coming from Port Allen or north/west, you should be fine, plus you have the old bridge as an option.
In the afternoon, from Airline Hwy, I would just take the old bridge because you'd have hell coming across town on I-10 and crossing the new bridge anytime after about 3pm.
But if you can avoid the heart of rush hour, then you should be fine. You could also drive across town on Florida Blvd which is generally ok coming westbound in the afternoons, and then hop on at the bridge in downtown and then you're one exit across the river. That drive is fairly easy unless there's a wreck on top of the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge