Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 PM

17 posts, read 52,436 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about this part of town? Moving from Arizona and dont know my way around at all. I will be working on Siegen lane.
Is this a ok neighborhood? would i be driving across a bridge everyday
and am i asking for traffic nightmares? Any information would be great.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:33 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
Brusly (pronounced Bru-lee) is in West Baton Rouge parish (so it's not in Baton Rouge itself). You would have to cross the river to commute to Siegen Lane. This commute can take 20 minutes with little traffic or an hour in heavy traffic (especially westbound coming from Siegen in the afternoons). There are other routes that could be taken if it were known that I-10 traffic was bad. You could take Burbank and/or Nicholson up to the bridge in downtown. It wouldn't save you a whole lot of time unless I-10 was in bad shape. Then it could save you a lot of time.
Brusly is a nice small town. Nothing fancy. It was mostly a sugar cane mill town until recently, then everyone started to discover it. Schools there are pretty decent, best in WBR.
I can't say whether or not you would like the commute. If you don't like crossing the bridge (I-10 MS River bridge), then no. If you don't like heavy traffic then probably not. I commuted from Plaquemine to BTR every day for 6+ years and was fine with it. You get used to it.
There are apartments in Brusly although I wouldn't live over there for that. I would live in Brusly for a rental house or if I purchased a house.
There is one sketchy neighborhood area in Brusly, Lukeville Lane (or LA 989-1). It's always been more rundown.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 18,849 times
Default considering plaquemine

Hi,

I am seriously considering moving back to Louisiana after almost 20 years.
I would like to know what areas of Plaquemine are okay.....I am 56, single white female. Need to bring 3 dogs along. A big old house would be nice, but I am fairly low budget (seeking to buy a house). I worked at Community Kitchens (Community Coffee) along the river, but lived in Baton Rouge so don't know anything about commuting across the river.
Sounds like BR is quite congested now???????????

Old 08-15-2009, 12:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue53 View Post
Hi,

I am seriously considering moving back to Louisiana after almost 20 years.
I would like to know what areas of Plaquemine are okay.....I am 56, single white female. Need to bring 3 dogs along. A big old house would be nice, but I am fairly low budget (seeking to buy a house). I worked at Community Kitchens (Community Coffee) along the river, but lived in Baton Rouge so don't know anything about commuting across the river.
Sounds like BR is quite congested now???????????
Baton Rouge has gotten congested in recent years, especially the interstate and areas south of that. However, we are making some progress. Capacity is being expanded on parts of I-10 and I-12, as well as at many intersections and other surface streets. When the green light plan is completed, the situation will be greatly improved.

I like Plaquemine. Really pretty town.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
In Plaquemine, stay away from WW Harleaux (old Haase Street) and Iron Farm. Also stay clear of Barrow Street (the Seymourville area).

St. Louis Subdivision is good. Bayou Estates down along Court Street (LA 3066) is good. And of course there's The Island off of Bayou Jacob (LA-77).
There are also nice places to live in the middle of town in an area inside Bellview, Railroad Ave, Labauve and Marshall/Ory. Most of it is labeled the Garden/Historic District.
Plaquemine is a nice size, relatively quiet town. DOW and Georgia Gulf are the major employers.
Brusly is always good as well. Nice subdivision going up at Sugar Mill Plantation. Right across from Benedetto's Supermarket between Brusly and Addis.
LA-1 is busy during rush hour though. Steady stream of cars to and from Baton Rouge. LA-1 backs up getting up on the bridge in the mornings, 7:30-8:30 hour mostly. Afternoon isn't as bad as long as you can get out of BTR and across the bridge. Then you're home free.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,220 times
Default Brusly?! Man, speechless

I actually moved to Brusly from Maryland so I feel your transition concerns. Brusly has beautiful homes and is quiet. LUKEVILLE is predominantly African-American. Some areas of this town are ghetto. I suppose that you will enjoy Brusly. And yes the traffic is bad; mainly because of LSU and Katrina. AND PLEASE DO NOT TELL PEOPLE YOUR BUSINESS. Brusly is a small town and everyone talks about everything. Sometimes I wish I could stuff socks down their throat. Siegen Lane is a nice area and is an excellent place to hold an occupation. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahcarey1991 View Post
I actually moved to Brusly from Maryland so I feel your transition concerns. Brusly has beautiful homes and is quiet. LUKEVILLE is predominantly African-American. Some areas of this town are ghetto. I suppose that you will enjoy Brusly. And yes the traffic is bad; mainly because of LSU and Katrina. AND PLEASE DO NOT TELL PEOPLE YOUR BUSINESS. Brusly is a small town and everyone talks about everything. Sometimes I wish I could stuff socks down their throat. Siegen Lane is a nice area and is an excellent place to hold an occupation. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makesumsense View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge