U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 AM

102 posts, read 305,622 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a slight change in attitudes also.... thank goodness, I miss my old home town. Like the OP, I find people in stores and such willing to chat again, like it used to be when I lived here growing up. As some of you know I was in culture shock when I first moved back after being gone for 20+ years only to come back and find people acting so differently than they did before I left.

I still miss big city life though as far as activites go, but I'm finding more things to do. Usually now I just don't have time to do them, but I'm where I'm supposed to be for now.

Interesting about Superior Grill, some of my co-workers have invited me to go hang out there with them after work for drinks, I'm not on the "man" hunt so I had better let them know this upfront, wouldn't want to ruin their good time, LOL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,300,443 times
Default nice

Nice to see some positive post again about Baton Rouge. The other day at the Wal Mart on Siegen, I had a friendly "hometown" conversation with 2 different people. The cashier was friendly and it seems to me that that particular Wal mart has changed for the better. The types of people that go there now are the same as it used to be before Katrina-friendly and willing to smile and say hello. After Katrina, of course people were depressed and upset and the friendlieness was gone. Lots of things in Baton Rouge have changed for the better lately. The one thing that really has been keeping me awake at night though, is our number 2 position in the country for murders. I am not scared or anything as I live ina decent area of town, but I am just sad that we are named number 2 next to New Orleans. I have gotten very upset about it and would like some feedback so I feel better please!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,073,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
The one thing that really has been keeping me awake at night though, is our number 2 position in the country for murders. I am not scared or anything as I live ina decent area of town, but I am just sad that we are named number 2 next to New Orleans. I have gotten very upset about it and would like some feedback so I feel better please!!!
I'd like to know if stats are compiled the same way for BR that they are elsewhere. Statistics can be twisted to reach whatever conclusion you want.

Last edited by linicx; 08-13-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 PM

Like I always say, BRMan, I agree with you once again!!!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 PM

82 posts, read 202,298 times
I was raised in Baton Rouge and will always consider it my home town, though I moved right after Katrina. My family, children and grandchildren are still there and I visit often. There are many positive things that have happened to BR since Katrina as well. The arts seem to be more involved in BR and I'm glad to see growth in that area. If you are looking for southern hosptiality and people just plain enjoying each other, visit my family's business... Coffee Call on College drive. It is a BR icon and it is in locally owned businesses like that, that you'll find a lot of kindness. Since leaving BR, we've lived in Chicago and now East Texas, and I tell you, I miss the kindness and hospitality of Baton Rougeans.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:20 AM

11,543 posts, read 27,595,675 times
I don't think we should ever forget that Katrina and Rita turned NOLA and many towns in La., upside down. It difficult to recover from a tragedy of the proportion of those two storms. It takes a long time. It tore too many families apart for a lifetime. Under these circumstances I don't think it hurts to be a little considerate of others.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM

That said, you are correct-it was a terrible thing to happen and we just need to go full steam ahead and get back on track.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 AM

102 posts, read 305,622 times
I just came back from my other "home town" Dallas and miss it already. This was my first time back since being gone for almost three years. I'm here to tell you the interstate traffic was scary to say the least! It made me appreciate our traffic a little more. Yes ours is bad but much less imtimidating.

I was at a hotel in Far North Dallas so I was surrounded by things to do, just not enough time to do them all. That made me realize the things I miss and hope for more development of various areas here in Baton Rouge in the future.

On a side note, just about everyone I met that worked at the hotel was from New Orleans, displaced after Katrina. From the front desk manager to the the restaurant staff to the concierge. They all talked about how much they miss Louisiana but how they will never return to live. Made me sad, these are the hard working people we need to have return. But the front desk manager told me his salaried tripled and living expenses went down, so no matter how much his heart wants to be here, his need to pay for his kids education won't allow it, which I understand completely.

However, when Baton Rouge is at its best, it is a good place to live with lots of potential for the future. I heard on the news that salaries have increased here over the past 5 years more than other areas in the nation, if that trend continue more people will continue to come to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge