Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times

Advertisements

So the new big stink around town is that developer David Slaughter is asking for seven historic homes in the already small Spanishtown neighborhood to be demolished to make way for his new condominium development, to be known as "Capitol Lofts". This plan has resulted in strong opposition from Spanishtown residents and preservationists throughout the metropolitan area.

I, for one, am outraged! Spanishtown is the oldest neighborhood in this city. Now if Slaughter was advocating the "removal" of the homes (i.e. moving them to a new location) I would not be in such a huff. But no, he wants them demolished.

Do not get me wrong. I am pro-Capitol Lofts. Downtown needs more residents. However, if this Loft community absolutely has to be 74 units large so cry-baby David Slaughter can make maximum profit, we need to put a stop to it. This is not the kind of town where we just throw out our history, and now is not the time to start.

Thoughts? All opinions welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,510 times
Actually, this is the kind of town where people throw out their own history. I'm saddened, but not at all surprised at Slaughter's plan.

See, they think the way to make the city better is to draw in more corporate money and yuppy types. They want to change it from the top down. They are too myopic to see (or perhaps they do see, but don't care) that the cultural history of a place causes it to appreciate over time, as is the case in New Orleans. People come from all over the world to see New Orleans. It's a beautiful city because it's old houses and buildings have been left in tact for so long. It's a romantic backdrop for all manner of human drama. Time does that.

I've given up on Baton Rouge. The people with the power only think in dollars and cents. Let them turn it into the sterile, cellophane-wrapped corporate mini-Houston they want it to be. I'm moving away and leaving to its fate.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,869 times
There are plenty of open blocks in downtown Baton Rouge to building whatever you want. Maybe the city should lower the taxes on some of this property so that someone could use it for something other than an open parking lot. If not building condos and apartment towers, then maybe some little parks. But I do do not agree that this guy needs to clear up some space in Spanishtown for his own benefit. No way. What an idiot.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:50 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollothemighty View Post
Actually, this is the kind of town where people throw out their own history. I'm saddened, but not at all surprised at Slaughter's plan.

See, they think the way to make the city better is to draw in more corporate money and yuppy types. They want to change it from the top down. They are too myopic to see (or perhaps they do see, but don't care) that the cultural history of a place causes it to appreciate over time, as is the case in New Orleans. People come from all over the world to see New Orleans. It's a beautiful city because it's old houses and buildings have been left in tact for so long. It's a romantic backdrop for all manner of human drama. Time does that.

I've given up on Baton Rouge. The people with the power only think in dollars and cents. Let them turn it into the sterile, cellophane-wrapped corporate mini-Houston they want it to be. I'm moving away and leaving to its fate.
To be honest, there isn't much that existed in BR from pre-1909, simply because until then development was restricted to Spanishtown and Beauregard Town and the population was about 10,000.

Now Los Angeles...there's a town that throws out its history. It's like if something historic happened in a building, it acts as extra incentive to demolish it.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post

Thoughts? All opinions welcomed!
If you ask me, Spanishtown is not all that impressive; nor is it historically significant to the point that people need to get up in arms about it.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
If you ask me, Spanishtown is not all that impressive; nor is it historically significant to the point that people need to get up in arms about it.
For some reason , Spanish Town is sacred to some people . I don't know . I'm kind of " on the fence " with this one , and that's unusual for me .

Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 AM

102 posts, read 332,850 times
Well saw that he pulled the deal from the table due to neighborhood outcry. Also they are forcing the owners of those properties to fix them up which will be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge