U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,909 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have read a bunch of threads on here but still need some guidance. We are a married couple in our thirties with children aged 14,10,5, and 3 months. We may be moving due to a job change for my husband in July. He will possibly be working in a building located at United Plaza Blvd. On the maps it is off Essen Lane between 10&12. He does not mind a bit of a commute as we doubt anything there would be as bad as the commutes where we are now. That being said here is the problem. Neither of us has been to Baton Rouge before so we have no clue about the neighborhoods.

Now we really need help with finding a house that is in a nice area and has good schools for the kids. I drive my kids to school now and it is about a 15 minute trip so if I have to drive a little that is ok as long as the school is good. I would prefer a newer home in a safe neighborhood. We are moving from California and everything I have seen online just seems so different from where we live.

I have also seen many nice homes listed online in Denham Springs, Gonzales, and Prairieville. We are not limiting ourselves to just Baton Rouge and we would consider outlying smaller cities too if it means better neighborhoods. I'd like some opinions on where you would recommend a family to settle, keeping in mind that the school being nice is a major concern for us since we will be using public schools. Let me add we will be renting when we first move and we are hoping to keep the rent to around $2000 but could pay a bit more to be in a nice area.

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,198,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Steam Ahead View Post
Hello,
I have read a bunch of threads on here but still need some guidance. We are a married couple in our thirties with children aged 14,10,5, and 3 months. We may be moving due to a job change for my husband in July. He will possibly be working in a building located at United Plaza Blvd. On the maps it is off Essen Lane between 10&12. He does not mind a bit of a commute as we doubt anything there would be as bad as the commutes where we are now. That being said here is the problem. Neither of us has been to Baton Rouge before so we have no clue about the neighborhoods.

Now we really need help with finding a house that is in a nice area and has good schools for the kids. I drive my kids to school now and it is about a 15 minute trip so if I have to drive a little that is ok as long as the school is good. I would prefer a newer home in a safe neighborhood. We are moving from California and everything I have seen online just seems so different from where we live.

I have also seen many nice homes listed online in Denham Springs, Gonzales, and Prairieville. We are not limiting ourselves to just Baton Rouge and we would consider outlying smaller cities too if it means better neighborhoods. I'd like some opinions on where you would recommend a family to settle, keeping in mind that the school being nice is a major concern for us since we will be using public schools. Let me add we will be renting when we first move and we are hoping to keep the rent to around $2000 but could pay a bit more to be in a nice area.

Thanks so much!
Couple of thoughts (and welcome to BR !)

Since you've already stated your desire to use the public schools, that pretty much eliminates the EBR schools. Your options then become Zachary (WAY too far away if your husband works on Essen at United Plaza), Central (Ditto), Livingston Parish, and Ascension Parish. Since the Livingston commute is worse than the Ascension commute (and there are ALWAYS wrecks on I-12), I'd go with Ascension Parish.

Prairieville is the suburb by default for many white collar Baton Rougeans who want to cross the parish line because of the schools. And since you're coming from California, you likely have a decent amount of $$ to spend on a house. There are several nice subdivisions on higher land (flooding is an issue here in BR; keep that in mind as you're looking for a house) just past EBR/Ascension parish line that you can see on either side of I-10 as you're leaving BR. You access these subdivisions by doing the following: (1) take the Highland Road exit off I-10, (2) take Highland going towards Airline for about 1000 feet and take a right down Old Perkins Road (LA 427) (there is an Exxon and a Chevron at the corner), (3) take Old Perkins for several miles. After you cross into Ascension Parish, the first light is Bluff Road. Take a right on Bluff Road and cross over I-10, (4) Right past the Interstate, you can either stay on Bluff Road (it eventually dead ends into another highway) or turn on Alligator Bayou Road.

Along Old Perkins/Bluff/Alligator Bayou Road will be subdivisions I think you'll like that aren't too far away from the East Baton Rouge Parish line. There will be traffic on Old Perkins and I-10, and they're going to widen I-10 from Highland to Essen, but they're also widening I-12 from O'Neal Lane almost to Walker. So given those road work evils, that's why I'm steering you to Ascension. Good luck !

Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,909 times
Thanks so much for a starting point! I was wondering what kind of commute times would you say were from of those mentioned places to my husband's work? When you say a commute is really bad what amount of time are you talking? A hour or more? Coming from California we find long commutes normal since that is what we are stuck with here so I guess I need to know what is considered "bad" in Baton Rouge.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Steam Ahead View Post
Thanks so much for a starting point! I was wondering what kind of commute times would you say were from of those mentioned places to my husband's work? When you say a commute is really bad what amount of time are you talking? A hour or more? Coming from California we find long commutes normal since that is what we are stuck with here so I guess I need to know what is considered "bad" in Baton Rouge.
Depending on the part of Ascension Parish (let's assume you live in the northern fringe like I recommended), I would say about 25-30 minutes. Outside of rush hour, probably 15 minutes.

Good point about the commutes - I would say when you get into the 30-45 minute range and beyond (like, for instance, those in Livingston Parish who have to deal with I-12) range, that'd be bad. Thing is, the suburban parishes (Livingston and Ascension) have not yet updated their infrastructure to handle the recent growth, while IMO East Baton Rouge Parish has to some extent - in 2005, voters passed the "Green Light Plan" which is a street widening/traffic synchronization plan with 40 improvement projects planned. Add to that the widening occurring to the East Baton Rouge Parish line on I-10 and I-12.

Me personally, I'd rather live in E. Baton Rouge Parish, but unless you want to go the private school route, that is not much of an option.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:50 PM

97 posts, read 268,544 times
First of all, let me say I am from Denham Springs. I agree the traffic is bad. However, the schools are very good here. As you have seen on the internet, there are some really nice homes here to choose from. There is not an abundance of homes to rent here though.

My daughter lives south of I-12. She drives daily to Essen Lane. I live north of I-12 and it takes me quite a bit longer than her to get on the interstate.

You have found a great forum for helpful information. I learn a lot here from others too.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 AM

3 posts, read 8,021 times
Zachary is not "way too far" from Essen in my opinion. I live in Zachary and work on Bluebonnet and it only takes me 30 minutes to get there. It's 25 miles from my driveway to my office on Bluebonnet. As far as schools go, Zachary has been the #1 district in the state for the past 4 years in a row.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,419,939 times
I agree that Zachary is not too big of a stretch. Outstanding schools up there.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoel View Post
Zachary is not "way too far" from Essen in my opinion. I live in Zachary and work on Bluebonnet and it only takes me 30 minutes to get there. It's 25 miles from my driveway to my office on Bluebonnet. As far as schools go, Zachary has been the #1 district in the state for the past 4 years in a row.
While Zachary has some new development because of its new school system (it broke away from the E Baton Rouge school system), it is also at the other end of the parish and has limited retail/restaurants/etc. Wal-Mart, a couple of restaurants, and a few local businesses are about it. In northern Ascension Parish, you're close to the mall, an outlet mall, lots of restaurants, and closer to your husbands work. Especially when you consider the difference between taking I-10 north a few exits to Essen vs taking LA 19/964/US 61 to I-110 (with "scenic" petrichem plants along the way), dealing with I-110, and dealing with I-10 to Essen - a 10 mile commute vs the 25 mile commute a previous poster mentioned up above.

Just something to consider - if you said your husband was working at one of the N Baton Rouge plants, and wanted to try out the public schools, and that having retail/shopping nearby wasn't that important, I'd (in that situation) point you to Zachary or Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge