U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 12:44 PM

17 posts, read 28,317 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Denham Springs from grand haven mi. We chose denham because we thought it would be quiter and safer for our family. I do not really feel it is a fit for us, though. My daughter will be starting 11th grade, and she is very active in volleyball and tennis. she is very social and loves to hang out with girlls her own age. I also have a daughter who is 8, . I am an LPN and want to get my RN and have checked into the schools here and am finding it very difficult, my husband does building/remodeling, and we need to find a place for us to feel like we are fitting in. We are not bug church people, and the churches that we have gone too are non-denominational, and we both work alot of week-ends so it makes it hard for us to go to church. I am desperate to find a place to bring my girls to meet good people and stay busy, I feel I may need to relocate to DIFFERENT PLACE, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:34 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,069,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abradl04 View Post
I just moved to Denham Springs from grand haven mi. We chose denham because we thought it would be quiter and safer for our family. I do not really feel it is a fit for us, though. My daughter will be starting 11th grade, and she is very active in volleyball and tennis. she is very social and loves to hang out with girlls her own age. I also have a daughter who is 8, . I am an LPN and want to get my RN and have checked into the schools here and am finding it very difficult, my husband does building/remodeling, and we need to find a place for us to feel like we are fitting in. We are not bug church people, and the churches that we have gone too are non-denominational, and we both work alot of week-ends so it makes it hard for us to go to church. I am desperate to find a place to bring my girls to meet good people and stay busy, I feel I may need to relocate to DIFFERENT PLACE, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
To answer your general question, what do you like/dislike about Denham ? You mention one of your daughters has friends and stays active, and it sounds like from reading this post that you're not into the "churchy thing." So we need someplace to start on this subject.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM

97 posts, read 261,002 times
I live in Denham Springs. I have a daughter going to 9th grade. Starting off anywhere new with school letting out, is difficult. Getting them involved on Wednesday nights in a youth group would help though. There will be youth outings and summer camps they could get involved with if they choose. Might want to check out some of the activities that North Park Recreation Center offers as well.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 AM

yeah we are really not big into church, but i am not against it, I like to do things with my kids and other families.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 AM

887 posts, read 2,763,767 times
Quote:
I just moved to Denham Springs
LOL, that's your problem. Enjoy Livingston Parish..

Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
yeah we are really not big into church, but i am not against it, I like to do things with my kids and other families.
Livingston Parish is more of a "Bible Belt" parish. Some like that; others don't. But you have also had a massive influx of Baton Rougeans over the past 15 years or so.

But it seems like from Loralcb's posting, there are activities for kids through youth groups/North Park rec center, etc. If you were to spend time on that, might that change your impression of the area ? Because other than the nasty commute to BR, I would think Livingston Parish would be a good place for families to live.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM

thanks. I do enjoy church, as I was just not raised with a srong background, but do love god, and believe in faith, but as I am a nurse I seem to work weekends, and my hubby who also was not brought up with a church upbringing, works construction and seems to do alot of weekend side jobs. thanks for the ideas i will try them out!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
thanks. I do enjoy church, as I was just not raised with a srong background, but do love god, and believe in faith, but as I am a nurse I seem to work weekends, and my hubby who also was not brought up with a church upbringing, works construction and seems to do alot of weekend side jobs. thanks for the ideas i will try them out!
And I do believe the new suburbanites will be more varied in their religious intensity than those who've lived in the "Free State of Livingston" forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge