U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,061,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtbtaylor View Post
Also, I had read on some posts from 2007 that the crime was up due to and increase in population from katrina victims...i was wondering if that has quieted down at all, or if this influx of people is still an issue for the city.
Katrina was a long time ago. But the area north of LSU has been bad for years, although there have been some attempts at gentrification. If you want to live near LSU, you have many options. Burbank, Tiger Town, Brightside, and the like would work. Gardere is pretty far out relative to LSU, so you'd be wasting your time wanting to move there. But like the others have said, tell us streets/complexes where you want to live, and we'll steer you the right way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Also, to add to my original post, when people mention 'anything north of FL blvd' does that refer to literally EVERYTHING north of FL...or is it just the first few blocks above FL blvd are bad? Thanks.
In general, everything north of Florida (it's one of the main drags in town), and in some sections, everything north of Government (or even north of LSU).

One thing you have to understand about the Katrina influx is that at the time the government was relocating people, BR had its own issues, so Houston became the main destination of those who couldn't evacuate themselves. As were Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and so on. We did get some influx, as there are many BR/NO connections, but we've absorbed them. And this was not a racial influx either: there were people of all races and economic strata who relocated to Metro BR.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 AM

17 posts, read 43,590 times
part of my problem is that i am looking more at houses and less at 'complexes,' i am very much tired of renting and would like to purchase a home this year. one of the 'slightly north' of lsu homes is on e polk st, i believe. some others are

jefferson hwy
peachtree blvd
longwood ct
government st
pecan dr
delphine st
and aubin ln

i have maybe 20 more that i'm hoping to visit this coming week.

i have been reading old posts, but i was hoping to get some more personalized responses to my issue that i am having and the areas which i am looking into moving...this is my first time relocating anywhere and i know NO ONE in the city or even state for that matter...so i am just trying to get some information. I had only seen one post regarding the area JUST NORTH of LSU (what i can only assume is polk st, which is the place i was really hoping to move)

as far as the katrina questions they were because i WAS reading old posts and people seemed to be still discussing it...sorry if it is an old topic, but i was just wondering if the increased number of people still affected the area.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:46 AM

are burbank and brightside complexes or street names. i know there are brightside condos, but are there others?

i was looking at lake beau pre...but it seems a little pricey for me

Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 AM

about how long would a commute from millerville or shenandoah be to LSU?

Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
In traffic, 30-45 minutes. Any commute having the interstates (esp if you live in Livingston or Ascension Parish), Airline, Coursey, or Sherwood is not a pleasant one. In fact, since LSU is the focus of your life, I would not recommend going past Airline as you look for houses.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 AM

794 posts, read 3,112,320 times
Quote:
You might use different routes to get from Millerville versus Shenandoah, but it'll probably still be about 15-30 minutes in the morning, depending on the time of morning.
Afternoons, it can be double easy. So depending on route, if it's 3:30-5ish say, it could be 25-45 minutes depending on accidents and such.
I live near Towne Center and it takes me 20-40 minutes to get home from downtown in the afternoons depending on traffic.

You'll learn back roads real quick, but its not like they help much. They just keep you moving. I hate sitting in traffic. I'd rather take the same time or a minute or two longer and take another route thats moving.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
are burbank and brightside complexes or street names. i know there are brightside condos, but are there others?

i was looking at lake beau pre...but it seems a little pricey for me
Burbank and Brightside are street names. Brightside has lots of offerings at a decent price (and I'd feel comfprtable living there), but it comes at a cost: Daddy and Mommy have bought their little dears a house so that (gasp) they don't have to deal with the cruelty of apartment or dorm living. As a result, those neighborhoods along Brightside are full of partiers who aren't ideal tenants. I had a friend once who bought his first home in Beau Pre a decade ago because he liked the fact it was an affordable new house. Then the students took over and he didn't get much appreciation out of the house by the time he sold.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 AM

My thoughts below:
Quote:
part of my problem is that i am looking more at houses and less at 'complexes,' i am very much tired of renting and would like to purchase a home this year. one of the 'slightly north' of lsu homes is on e polk st, i believe. some others are

jefferson hwy
peachtree blvd
longwood ct
government st
pecan dr
delphine st
and aubin ln.
Jeff Highway - in general, good, but it can be a traffic nightmare in rush hour
Peachtree Blvd -Sketchy - you cross Florida and/or Acadian, and it's the slums
Longwood Ct - The condos seem decent, but again, you're close to some questionable areas
Government - I'm not crazy about Government (it's a dividing line until Acadian), even the supposedly nicer parts near Lobdell
Pecan Dr - Don't know where this is
Delphine Street - Definitely not
Aubin Lane - Has some charming homes in a generall decent area, although depending on which part of Aubin, you'll be very close to some Section 8's and/or ratty duplexes.

Quote:
i have maybe 20 more that i'm hoping to visit this coming week.

i have been reading old posts, but i was hoping to get some more personalized responses to my issue that i am having and the areas which i am looking into moving...this is my first time relocating anywhere and i know NO ONE in the city or even state for that matter...so i am just trying to get some information. I had only seen one post regarding the area JUST NORTH of LSU (what i can only assume is polk st, which is the place i was really hoping to move)
For personalized responses, you can give us the complex and/or street like you've done, or you can DM one of us. Again, north of LSU is bad news.

Quote:
as far as the katrina questions they were because i WAS reading old posts and people seemed to be still discussing it...sorry if it is an old topic, but i was just wondering if the increased number of people still affected the area.
Katrina still was an issue for a couple of years because they kept Katrinavilles open here in BR for a long time. And there was some increase in population here (in fact, the Census told us E Baton Rouge Parish is now "majority minority") after the storm, but we've long since absorbed the influx.

Anyway, feel free to ask. Baton Rouge is a good place to live, but you have to be careful with where you end up.

Last edited by BRMan; 05-31-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 AM

794 posts, read 3,112,320 times
Quote:

jefferson hwy
peachtree blvd
longwood ct
government st
pecan dr
delphine st
and aubin ln
E. Polk. I don't think you'll like. It's in old S. Baton Rouge. Has a tendency to be high crime. And you have no other exits but to come through the bad area to get out.

Jefferson: which part? You have the old city part (basically everything between Government and Airline) then you have the part south of Airline heading towards Tiger Bend and Ascension.

I live along Jefferson near Towne Center (Old Hammond/Corporate Blvd). This area is called Bocage. It is a high dollar area of town. I doubt you find rental homes in this area. Rental apartments and condos, yes. You have to look for the cheaper ones though.

Peachtree: I'm assuming north of Florida as the south block is mostly the BR General and doctors offices. You probably wouldn't like this area. This will mainly be lower income. Good people, but the crime element hangs around the one or two bad ones that make up some of these areas.

Longwood Ct: I know some people in this area. Others may call it mixed, but I actually wouldn't have a problem living here. You'll still need to guard against breakins, like everywhere, but this isn't a bad place.

Gov't St.: which part? The part near Longwood? The part near 19th and 22nd? The part in old Goodwood heading towards Independence? It varies. And as some people don't like the idea of living anywhere along it, I don't consider it a high violent crime area. Typical break ins are common in some areas. And then the domestic dispute issues like the shooting at the apartments right behind Our Lady of Mercy. This isn't common place.

I'm actually not familiar with a Pecan Dr. I did a search on google and found one in Denham, that's about it. Looking at it on a map, I'm kinda fimiliar with this area. I've driven through it before and delt with some businesses on the main Florida Blvd drag. I found it to be a decent area, seemed quiet and clean. But you're adding commute time here.

Delphine St.: No this is not within the garden district. This question came up recently. I would not live here. The area just north of the garden district isn't the cleanest or safest in the world, or the city. This is the area that I would stay away from north of Govt.

Aubin: This is a mixed area. Its in the Cedarcrest area. It wouldnt be a first choice for me. It seems fairly clean in most areas and driving through, but the crime reports that come out of that area kind of surprise me. Based on that, i wouldn't live there. I wouldn't live in those apartments along the interstate either (Forestwood). They've had a few incidents and I have a thing against living in apartments right along a major freeway. I've always heard it makes for an easy access and getaway for those who like to break into apartments. But of course, you could live in this area and not have any problems. I might not have any problems. But since I'm in the middle of town now and in Bocage (close to everything), I won't take that gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge