Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times

Advertisements

I kinda hate to mention this, but, you can not get good cajun cookin' in Athens, Ga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
Default baton rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm a 39 year old single guy and I'm looking to relocate from Oct-May to a cool town in the South. I live in San Diego CA now and I'm looking for lower home prices but mild winter weather. I like FL winter weather, but to me most of Florida has no character. I like the outdoors, golf, college basketball, cafe's, live music. I have an Internet based job so I won't have to rely on local employment. I would like to buy a craftsman style house in a older part of town where I can walk to stores or cafe's.

Towns I'm thinking about are Fayetteville AR, Asheville NC, Charlotteville VA, Athens GA, Talahassee FL, Baton Rouge LA. These are all college towns where I can go to college hoops games and also college towns generally have more of a vibrant, progressive feel. If you've lived or visted any of these aforementioned towns love to hear your input and comparison/contrast.

Thanks!!!
pls pls pls, don't come here. i was in a similar state before i came here, and now i can't leave (job issues). you would hate it here! if you crave culture in a uni town, asheville is amazing. also, i might suggest savannah because it is just a beautiful concentration of what is good and bad about the south. i'd recommend new orleans, but after a decade myself, it's hardly southern. i want you to love it, but i fear you could hate it too. i feel both ways. baton rouge, on the other hand, is the 9nth circle of shoddily planned neighborhoods that haven't seen progressed past huey p. long ca. 1930, and where i live (east baton rouge), it's mini malls and mini ghetto till it peters out into denham springs. think deliverance meets smokey and the bandit. i rue the day i agreed to move here. just a cautionary from someone else with a similar idea originally. boy, was i wrong.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 AM

67 posts, read 170,336 times
Default Depends on what you're really looking for...

Have lived in North Florida, outside Athens, and just moved to Baton Rouge. IMHO it really depends on your line of work as well. Mild winters exclude Ashville, Tallahassee has the plus folks mentioend of "near" beaches of the panhandle, Baton Rouge is more industrial (i'm an engineer and it is chem plant heaven, jobs galore), Athens is ok but totally centered around the college. If you're not ready for SEC college football, STAY AWAY from both Athens and BR! It's the center of the universe. Have you considered the Jacksonville/St. Augustine areas? S. Jacksonville/Ponte Verde/St. Augustine are growing and becoming more hip.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 7,039 times
Check out Auburn

Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayP View Post
Check out Auburn
As an alum I'm partial to that suggestion, but would qualify it with the same disclaimer in regards to football.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 AM

AND forgot to mention the thing I'll miss about Florida...no income tax!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 AM

12 posts, read 33,478 times
Man I'm so tired of people bashing my home state, Louisiana. If you are looking for culture, a sense of place and history, and UNBELIEVABLE cuisine, partying, and good times, Louisiana hands down wins over the ENTIRE United States. I'm sorry in advance for what I'm about to say, and many will disagree, but Louisiana has more culture in a city block than some bland city in North Carolina. People always concentrate on the negatives in our state, shamefully, even people from there, and I'm sick to death of it.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcope001 View Post
Man I'm so tired of people bashing my home state, Louisiana. If you are looking for culture, a sense of place and history, and UNBELIEVABLE cuisine, partying, and good times, Louisiana hands down wins over the ENTIRE United States. I'm sorry in advance for what I'm about to say, and many will disagree, but Louisiana has more culture in a city block than some bland city in North Carolina. People always concentrate on the negatives in our state, shamefully, even people from there, and I'm sick to death of it.
You know, I was just thinking the same thing. The poster who said he/she made a mistake by moving here and now cannot leave becasue of job and said this place was deliverence meets something or another-you are so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have lived here over 5 years and came from south Florida. Baton Rouge is wonderful! The people hands down are the nicest in the country and my neighborhood is beautiful with friendly neighbors and parties many times during the year. There is also the capitol to consider, so there are many young families here along with older couples with kids here. My child's school is rated among the top 5 in Baton Rouge and the kids here are very polite and considerate even many teens! The layout sucks that is true, but Kip Holden has abiut 20 Green Light projects going on to improve the infrastructure and it is improving traffic flow everywhere around here. AS far as Denham Springs, it is not that great there I don't think! Baton Rouge has many family oriented plays, festivals and fairs to keep anyone occupied and many night life type places to boot. Louisiana is a great place to live-poster from earlier you are so wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge