Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:08 AM

32 posts, read 132,106 times

Advertisements

So my family and I will be in BR for a couple days next week, Wednesday through Friday. We are staying in a hotel that looks like it is close to LSU, near Highway 10 & College Drive.

It is a work trip for my Husband, so he will be in meetings during the day. We have two boys ages 3 & 4, and I am hoping to spend some time at the hotel pool to occupy time then.

I would like some rain ideas and things to do in the late afternoon and evenings once my husband is done working.

After looking through the forums (I did a search under the word family) it looks like Mall of Louisiana could be an okay rain place. Looks like Blue Bayou (Dixie Landin') is a popular place as well and it seems inexpensive if you go for a little while at night. Do they have rides suitable for smaller children?

Also, what about the Bluebonnet swamp? I see it is only open until 5 pm and it is too hot to bother with that this time of year?

We are also looking for some good restaurants for dinner.

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcMoving View Post
So my family and I will be in BR for a couple days next week, Wednesday through Friday. We are staying in a hotel that looks like it is close to LSU, near Highway 10 & College Drive.

It is a work trip for my Husband, so he will be in meetings during the day. We have two boys ages 3 & 4, and I am hoping to spend some time at the hotel pool to occupy time then.

I would like some rain ideas and things to do in the late afternoon and evenings once my husband is done working.

After looking through the forums (I did a search under the word family) it looks like Mall of Louisiana could be an okay rain place. Looks like Blue Bayou (Dixie Landin') is a popular place as well and it seems inexpensive if you go for a little while at night. Do they have rides suitable for smaller children?

Also, what about the Bluebonnet swamp? I see it is only open until 5 pm and it is too hot to bother with that this time of year?

We are also looking for some good restaurants for dinner.

Thank you for your time!
First off, welcome to BR ! Here are some thoughts

(1) State Capitol (although let me caution you the Legislature is in session until 6/25, meaning that there may not be a lot of parking available. Just watch for areas that are cordoned off
(2) Visiting the Miss River levee downtown
(3) USS Kidd downtown
(4) Celebration Station (I-12 at Airline)
(5) LSU Lakes - your sons may enjoy feeding the ducks
(6) Laser Tag (off Sherwood) Laser Tag of Baton Rouge | Home (even though that's probably not for young children, I bet they'd have other things there)
(7) LSU - as in seeing Mike the Tiger, Tiger Stadium, and Memorial Tower. Since it's during the week, I'd advise getting a visitor tag. The building where they're issued is at Dalrymple/Highland
(8) Don't know what your/your kids tastes in food are, so you'll have to help us here. They do have a Chuck E Cheese at Siegen/I-10 near the Lowes

Hope this helps !

Old 06-12-2009, 07:36 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times
Great suggestions in the post above!

I was going to rec. Tiki Tubing. I've never done it-- I've only heard about it.. But after looking at this website: Tiki Tubing No. Just look at some of these people and the location--Denham-- eww.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Great suggestions in the post above!

I was going to rec. Tiki Tubing. I've never done it-- I've only heard about it.. But after looking at this website: Tiki Tubing No. Just look at some of these people and the location--Denham-- eww.
Since we're talking about a mother and two young boys under 5 years of age, I deliberately did not mention Hooters on College and in Denham as a "sight to see" - we run a family friendly site here !

Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 25,661 times
Bluebonnet Swamp is a great resource, but this time of year can be tricky. My three year old nephew went last week, dressed in shorts and a short sleeved shirt. He ended up with bites under his shirt, and in his shorts. No fun.

The Baton Rouge Zoo may be a better bet. It's not huge, but has plenty to occupy a little ones with short attention spans. They have "Twilight Tuesday Safaris" each Tuesday evening in June and July, but you'll need to register for the tour (225)775-3877.

The Arboretum is a great place for a picnic. City Park has a wonderful playground that's beside a dog park. After the kids are done playing, you can walk around the park and look at the pups, or take a stroll around the golf course. The oak trees keep things a few degrees cooler, but I'd still suggest bringing some cold drinks and snacks.

Each of these places can occupy a few hours, and they don't impact your wallet like theme parks..... That way, you're not out of extra cash if the kids don't seem to like it. Have fun!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:54 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,869 times
All great suggestions. I'd advise against traveling to the greater state of Livingston though. haha.
There's the LSU Rural Life Museum on Essen at I-10 as well.
Monkey Biz fun center in Drusilla shopping center. That might make a good rain event. It's not huge, but it keeps the young ones occupied and they have pizza.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasikfareed View Post
Daer all tourist people just visit tondi-ramanad distict tamil nadu 40 km from ramanad 120 km from madurai very quit commen nice beach area enjoy you life live cooking helping people more assitance visit tondi beach area very nice breeze happy life exepection all inter national people wel come tondi panachath develop committee safe life every think available in tondi please make booking london tourist comapny europen tourist company american travel company
Anybody care to translate ?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM

135 posts, read 479,281 times
It's my party has open play days. It is an inddor inflatable place. It's My Party in Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Incredible Inflatable Fun for Children's birthday parties, graduation parties, holiday parties

Monkey Biz Fun Center is also another hit with young kids.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Anybody care to translate ?
I couldn't get past the "Dear all tourist people", or maybe some reference to a Ramada Inn? I'm not sure. That was great. I'm not one to pick on people, but it's funny when it appears to be some sort of spam.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,630 times
There is a very fine museum on LSU campus just across from The Greek Theater.It may be a bit hard to find but most people on campus can tell You where it is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge