U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,256,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Are you optimistic about Hammond Aire ? I remember when it was nice and new back in the 80s (for a brief period of time, I recall that it was called the Galleria) and it was anchored by one of the first Home Depots in town. But over the years, I've seen the place (like many on Airline between Florida and I-12) go downhill.
I'm a naturally optimistic person, so I hope it won't turn into another Colonial Shopping Center...

But on the other hand, I don't think it will ever be what it used to be. I'm still a frequent visitor (mostly because it's close and convenient to where I'm at). Now that Town Center is a stone's throw down Old Hammond, they have more odds against them than ever. My guess is that's why they decided to do the renovations to the exterior. I really hated the way it looked...Can you say DRAB! Hopefully it will look more enticing when the new facade is finished.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 AM

794 posts, read 3,114,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laleh View Post
thank you so much for all of your help brman. i am going to really investigate those neighborhoods you mentioned.

do you think that i am right about the upper end housing market being out of control? i just can't bring myself to spend crazy money in baton rouge right now.
I completely agree with this. The real estate market went crazy here after Katrina. For now, this will keep me from buying in this market, at least before the whole thing crashes.
I haven't really ever looked for houses here (save the handful of homes I've come across online or from friends), although if I did I'd definitely check out WBR first (Brusly, and the western sections of Port Allen perhaps). I do agree that Kenilworth is a good location with good homes. I liked Westminster too, but I hate the limited access. For it to go so far back and not have an outlet to United Plaza and Essen is a mess. To come out and turn left onto Jefferson in the mornings might give you a fit.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:44 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,064,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I completely agree with this. The real estate market went crazy here after Katrina. For now, this will keep me from buying in this market, at least before the whole thing crashes.
I haven't really ever looked for houses here (save the handful of homes I've come across online or from friends), although if I did I'd definitely check out WBR first (Brusly, and the western sections of Port Allen perhaps). I do agree that Kenilworth is a good location with good homes. I liked Westminster too, but I hate the limited access. For it to go so far back and not have an outlet to United Plaza and Essen is a mess. To come out and turn left onto Jefferson in the mornings might give you a fit.
You know, of all the subdivisions I've mentioned, I've seen the most remodeling activity going on in Jefferson Terrace. It's a hidden treasure with (in several parts) large lot sizes. Which is becoming rarer and rarer here in BR.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:45 AM

As a note of caution about the developers going crazy and building without regards to the market - IMO, that kind of behavior in the past led to the development of Gardere and Blvd Dr Province like we know it today. I still remember when LSU students lived out there (in Gardere), but that changed in a flash in the late 1980s.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I'm a naturally optimistic person, so I hope it won't turn into another Colonial Shopping Center...

But on the other hand, I don't think it will ever be what it used to be. I'm still a frequent visitor (mostly because it's close and convenient to where I'm at). Now that Town Center is a stone's throw down Old Hammond, they have more odds against them than ever. My guess is that's why they decided to do the renovations to the exterior. I really hated the way it looked...Can you say DRAB! Hopefully it will look more enticing when the new facade is finished.
Hopefully, you're right - it's a well located shopping center. I've just seen it change over the years, kind of like the Broadmoor Shopping Center did.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM

96 posts, read 311,240 times
Quote:
As a note of caution about the developers going crazy and building without regards to the market - IMO, that kind of behavior in the past led to the development of Gardere and Blvd Dr Province like we know it today. I still remember when LSU students lived out there (in Gardere), but that changed in a flash in the late 1980s.
yeah, but wasn't that because of the loss of Jimmy's church and school popularity around that time?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM

96 posts, read 311,240 times
Quote:
You know, of all the subdivisions I've mentioned, I've seen the most remodeling activity going on in Jefferson Terrace. It's a hidden treasure with (in several parts) large lot sizes. Which is becoming rarer and rarer here in BR.
True, I am amazed at why it hasn't been hit with more force. Those are prime properties right smack in the middle of town but go for peanuts. I have only seen limited remodels there though, not the tear down and rebuild that would make me more excited.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champa View Post
yeah, but wasn't that because of the loss of Jimmy's church and school popularity around that time?
You mean in terms of people living in Gardere ? Jimmy had his dorms on site which housed a lot of students back in the day.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champa View Post
True, I am amazed at why it hasn't been hit with more force. Those are prime properties right smack in the middle of town but go for peanuts. I have only seen limited remodels there though, not the tear down and rebuild that would make me more excited.
Jeff Terrace doesn't (yet) have the "sexy" factor that Southdowns does. IMO, it's a bit too far away from downtown.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:12 AM

97 posts, read 260,698 times
Laleh - you are doing a great job as a buyer in doing your homework before purchasing a home. Hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy it for many years to come. BRMan - you are such a wealth of knowledge and an asset to this forum.

Once again, I say this is such a great forum and has some really good information to offer. I want to thank BRMan and MetroBTR for all their time and devotion they dedicate to it. You guys amaze me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge