U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
 
34 posts, read 114,039 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Any thoughts? I am worried that there is a public high school there that might attract the wrong sort of people. Is it going the way of Sherwood Forest and Broadmoor or is a smart place to buy?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,059,666 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by laleh View Post
Any thoughts? I am worried that there is a public high school there that might attract the wrong sort of people. Is it going the way of Sherwood Forest and Broadmoor or is a smart place to buy?
As much as I like the houses in Tara (esp the part between Old Hammond, Tara, and Chevelle), I see it as a neighborhood that has peaked. Additionally, it doesn't help that Womans will eventually relocate, which means the buffer between Goodwood and Florida will be no longer. This also means all those doctors offices that were located near Womans will likely relocate as well.

At least on the positive side (unlike Sherwood Forest), Tara isn't surrounded by nasty apartments on three sides.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 08:49 PM
 
34 posts, read 114,039 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you for your honesty. If you had 225k or so to spend in Baton Rouge- and not far out, must be a quick enough drive to downtown- where would you buy? I want a good investment.

Where are the good investment neighborhoods? Thank you so much.

Can you please comment on mid-city, southdowns and hundred oaks? any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,249,117 times
Reputation: 662
I live only a few streets down from Tara (towards town center and Jefferson) and Tara subdivision has peaked. It's still a decent neighborhood, though. If I knew I was planning to stay for 10+ years I might be a little leery. If you are just looking for a starter home with elbow room, you should give it a fair shot. There's a good school (St. Luke's) right there on Goodwood, and they are also revamping Hammond Aire (the shopping center on the corner of Old Hammond and Airline). My guess is that they are trying to keep customers due to the huge competition presented by the new Town Center nearby. Also nearby is Independence Park.

Like I said, it would be a good place for a starter home, but the long-term is little uncertain.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
 
34 posts, read 114,039 times
Reputation: 15
thank you! honestly, i can spend more and don't need a starter home per se, but i think that the upper end real estate market in baton rouge is going to get crushed. so i am looking for a cheaper home as the mortgage would be less than renting a house anyway.

so where do you recommend for a long term investment?

southdowns? what about some of the cheaper stuff off of highland?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,059,666 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by laleh View Post
Thank you for your honesty. If you had 225k or so to spend in Baton Rouge- and not far out, must be a quick enough drive to downtown- where would you buy? I want a good investment.

Where are the good investment neighborhoods? Thank you so much.

Can you please comment on mid-city, southdowns and hundred oaks? any thoughts?
Mid City - depends on your definition, but if you're talking about the area between Government and Florida, I wouldn't bother

Southdowns - VERY overrated and overpriced. But it is well positioned relative to downtown

Hundred Oaks - pricey, historic, and well-kept, but the neighborhood reverts to a 3rd world country after a hurricane because its tree canopy guarantees lengthy power outages (remember the person after Gustav who put up the handpainted "40 oaks" sign at one of the neighborhood entrances ?)

I'll now tell you my faves if you have 225K to spend:

(1) Concord Estates - though majority black, the houses are huge, and it's in the middle of town, with forests surrounding it on two sides

(2) Jefferson Terrace - as Bluebonnet becomes the new Florida Blvd, this neighborhood is well situated and has fixer upper opportunities

(3) Westminster - this neighborhood is limited access but has great access to I-12 and Jefferson

(4) Mirabeau Gardens - smaller homes that have been kept up and are close to LSU and downtown

(5) Kenilworth - an underrated gem of a neighborhood that is well situated relative to the medical corridor, downtown, and LSU.

For both Kenilworth and Mirabeau Gardens, future road expansions (extending Seyburn to Burbank, extending Staring to Burbank, connecting the two pieces of Picardy, I-10 widening, Perkins widening) will give this neighborhood better traffic options.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,059,666 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
they are also revamping Hammond Aire (the shopping center on the corner of Old Hammond and Airline). My guess is that they are trying to keep customers due to the huge competition presented by the new Town Center nearby. Also nearby is Independence Park.
Are you optimistic about Hammond Aire ? I remember when it was nice and new back in the 80s (for a brief period of time, I recall that it was called the Galleria) and it was anchored by one of the first Home Depots in town. But over the years, I've seen the place (like many on Airline between Florida and I-12) go downhill.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM
 
34 posts, read 114,039 times
Reputation: 15
thank you so much for all of your help brman. i am going to really investigate those neighborhoods you mentioned.

do you think that i am right about the upper end housing market being out of control? i just can't bring myself to spend crazy money in baton rouge right now.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,059,666 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by laleh View Post
thank you so much for all of your help brman. i am going to really investigate those neighborhoods you mentioned.

do you think that i am right about the upper end housing market being out of control? i just can't bring myself to spend crazy money in baton rouge right now.
I do. The developers went crazy after Katrina (the GO ZONE bonds, IMO, created some of this speculation) and built only high end stuff, like the 330K condos near LSU that overlook slummy duplexes. This behavior was totally foolish and unrealistic, because (1) there's only so many rich people to go around, (2) there's the remaining 90% of the income spectrum that still needs TLC, (4) it's not like there were Fortune 500 companies that were moving here and bringing high paying executive jobs to town, and (5) people are only going to afford so much mortgage.

So I see a glut of high end homes and 4 story apartments coming around the corner. It reminds me of the 80s all over again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 PM
 
34 posts, read 114,039 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I do. The developers went crazy after Katrina (the GO ZONE bonds, IMO, created some of this speculation) and built only high end stuff, like the 330K condos near LSU that overlook slummy duplexes. This behavior was totally foolish and unrealistic, because (1) there's only so many rich people to go around, (2) there's the remaining 90% of the income spectrum that still needs TLC, (4) it's not like there were Fortune 500 companies that were moving here and bringing high paying executive jobs to town, and (5) people are only going to afford so much mortgage.

So I see a glut of high end homes and 4 story apartments coming around the corner. It reminds me of the 80s all over again.

these high end homes are just sitting there...... when are they going to admit to themselves that they messed up and should cut their losses and sell it to me for cheap?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top