Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 AM

17 posts, read 37,142 times

Advertisements

We just found (via Craigslist) a couple of condos off of Florida and Ocean Drive. Is this a relatively ok area? We are just a 26 year old couple, no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyWeasel View Post
We just found (via Craigslist) a couple of condos off of Florida and Ocean Drive. Is this a relatively ok area? We are just a 26 year old couple, no kids.
The condos on Ocean Drive are right across from "Mall City", which is an apartment city that went WAY down in the 80s (it once was a thriving singles area). And the mall that was there (Bon Marche) closed down. Even though today you have Cox and other companies located there, the area isn't the best, especially with Ocean Drive having direct Florida Blvd access. And in addition to the bad neighborhoods on the other side of Florida, you have a fair number of abandoned buildings on your side of Florida.

You can take a look, but there are many other condo locations in BR that would be a better fit than in the shadow of "Mall City."

Old 06-22-2009, 09:56 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
I would tread carefully in that area. I don't hear a whole lot coming out of that immediate area, but all sorts of crazy things go on across Florida in mall city.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
Yeah, your side of Florida should be ok. I don't hear of too many bad things get reported south of Florida in that area, but beware north of Florida. Chances are you'd never cross it anyway.
I'd be willing to check it out, see the place, weigh in the rent, and hopefully check out some of your potential neighbors. Then make a decision.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 AM

Yes, it is definitely south of Florida, sort of by Independence Park? It is in a little well-kept area with a bunch of other condos, what do you think? Also, there is another place that we like (my boyfriend is in BTR scoping out places) on Summa and Blair Street between Essen and Bluebonnet. Any thoughts on these?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 AM

The condos he's probably referring to are OK, as is the immediate neighborhood behind it. It's just being THAT close to Florida Blvd and/or the abandoned buildings and/or Mall City that would make me VERY nervous. It's not like the OP has a lack of choices in BR.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is definitely south of Florida, sort of by Independence Park? It is in a little well-kept area with a bunch of other condos, what do you think? Also, there is another place that we like (my boyfriend is in BTR scoping out places) on Summa and Blair Street between Essen and Bluebonnet. Any thoughts on these?
Summa is good, with only three issues in my mind: (1) the hospital traffic of those leaving the General heading to Essen causes Summa to back up on afternoons, and you don't really have alternate routes to take...except for Summa, (2) Summa FLOODS in heavier rainstorm, and if you have a sedan, I'd be a bit nervous, (3) at one point, they were going to move the charity hospital to (I'm thinking) a wooded area between Summa and I-10. I don't think that is an issue anymore (it's probably going to go to the Lake on the other side of Essen), but I DID want to bring up that little bit of history.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Great, thanks for the advice. It's hard finding a good place to go when you're living in Colorado!

I think my boyfriend really likes the Summa and Blair one, and we both have SUVs, so hopefully the flooding won't be a problem. Is there grocery stores and restaurants in that area? Can I walk my dog around that area alone (obviously during the daytime only)?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Great, thanks for the advice. It's hard finding a good place to go when you're living in Colorado!

I think my boyfriend really likes the Summa and Blair one, and we both have SUVs, so hopefully the flooding won't be a problem. Is there grocery stores and restaurants in that area? Can I walk my dog around that area alone (obviously during the daytime only)?
(1) Grocery stores - yes. You have Albertsons at Perklins/Essen, Target at Siegen/I-10 (however, I think this store has gone downhill since its 2001 opening), and the Fresh Market at Perkins/Bluebonnet, which has AWESOME desserts.
(2) Restaurants - yes, lots of restaurants on Essen, Bluebonnet, and Perkins. If you want to go further, there are even more good choices
(3) Walk the dog - yes. It's pretty safe, and you have sidewalks. I usually see people walk/jog/walk dogs on that street

One thing, too, that will help with traffic is that they're connecting Picardy (runs parallel to Summa) between it's Essen "piece" and it's Bluebonnet "piece". That should alleviate some of the Summa traffic.

Oh, and with SUVs, you can navigate the occasional standing water on Summa.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
This area of BTR is generally what I used to refer to as a business district outside of the central business district (or downtown core). Nowhere near the level of say as Westhiemer/Galleria area of Houston, but it is pretty much the business and medical corridor of south BTR. You'll learn to manage the traffic. Outside of the major rush hours, it's usually easy to get around. It's a good area of town. Plenty of good restaurants and shopping. Watch out for the red light cameras in that area, Essen at I-10 and at Summa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge