U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,064,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
This area of BTR is generally what I used to refer to as a business district outside of the central business district (or downtown core). Nowhere near the level of say as Westhiemer/Galleria area of Houston, but it is pretty much the business and medical corridor of south BTR. You'll learn to manage the traffic. Outside of the major rush hours, it's usually easy to get around. It's a good area of town. Plenty of good restaurants and shopping. Watch out for the red light cameras in that area, Essen at I-10 and at Summa.
And whenever there is a "red light camera" intersection, you'll see a warning sign telling you that the light is "photo monitored" (or something like that). There aer currently about 10-15 intersections where Big Brother is watching; nearly all of those intersections are in South BR.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:53 PM

17 posts, read 33,198 times
Well, thank you guys so much. The advice is very appreciated. I'm very excited to move to Baton Rouge...5 weeks!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyWeasel View Post
Well, thank you guys so much. The advice is very appreciated. I'm very excited to move to Baton Rouge...5 weeks!
You'll like it. And you're coming right before football season starts. And if you like soccer, the BR Capitals play nearby (assuming you choose Summa) at Kenilworth/Perkins at Olympia Stadium.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 AM

Teehee, my boyfriend walked outside of his hotel today and his sunglasses fogged up! That's so funny to us!

Also, a few more questions, assuming we will probably get the Summa and Blair house, is there any good restaurants or takeout places close? Where is the best pizza near there (I like New York style thin crust, greasy ) and the best Chinese? Bars? Anything walking distance?

Thanks you guys, you're awesome

Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Teehee, my boyfriend walked outside of his hotel today and his sunglasses fogged up! That's so funny to us!

Also, a few more questions, assuming we will probably get the Summa and Blair house, is there any good restaurants or takeout places close? Where is the best pizza near there (I like New York style thin crust, greasy ) and the best Chinese? Bars? Anything walking distance?

Thanks you guys, you're awesome
(1) Good restaurants (I'm limiting to 5-10 minutes away; there are many more): (On Essen) Copelands, Indias, Tasty Casian (Vietnamese Cajun restaurant), (On Perkins near Essen) Romans, Italian Pie (On Bluebonnet) J Alexanders, Alabashas, Cheesecake Bistro, Mi Padres, De Angelos, Texas De Brazil, Grillroom, California Pizza Kitchen) - a lot of these places will do takeout
(2) My faves for pizza are Italian Pie and Mellow Mushroom (Burbank at E Boyd) - don't know about the "New York style" question
(3) For best Chinese (I'm using the term "Chinese" loosely) I like Hunans (S Sherwood Forest north of Coursey), Nagoya (S Sherwood Forest next to the Piccadilly), Thai Kitchen (Perkins near College at Southdowns shopping center), and Thai Pepper (Florida at Ardenwood)
(4) The bars will be in several places: (a) there are several near the Perkins Road overpass (Perkins at I-10), (b) Bennington Avenue, (c) Downtown on 3rd Street, (d) south of LSU in Tigerland, (e) north of LSU on Highland by the North Gates, and (f) College at Corporate
(5) I would generally not recommend walking to the restaurants on Bluebonnet/Essen (although you could probably walk to Copelands with minimal issues). The area where you're looking is residential and has some commercial, but it is bordered by Essen and Bluebonnet, both of which are very busy streets.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 AM

794 posts, read 3,114,021 times
Yummy, California Pizza Kitchen. Is it lunch time yet???

You could probably walk to many places on Essen, just be sure to cross at traffic lights because traffic is heavy. Bluebonnet might be another story. It's a longer walk and Summa becomes void of anything for a short distance, except for the hospital, near Bluebonnet. But it is possible. Or certainly possible to bike. Buses run up and down there all the time, but I'm unsure of the schedule.
My Chinese place is China Wok in Drusilla. It's simple but good.
Voodoo BBQ is right there too. I've only been once so far, but it's fantastic. DeAngelo's pizzeria is up the road on Jefferson. Not sure about the New York style again. I actually like Schlittz & Giggles downtown, but their pizza is a little greasy. It does seem like Brooklyn style though and you either love it or hate it. I like the food and love the atmosphere.
The bar places have pretty much been named. I can't think of anything right there in that neighborhood except for the eateries on Bluebonnet and the mall area, the bars at Logans, J.Alex, BJs...
We have way too many good places to eat down here. I'm getting sick thinking of it.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,255,036 times
On Essen, there's also the Times Grill (great burgers) and Ichiban (Sushi and Hibatchi). At Bluebonnet at Perkins (a good bit farther down from Summa) there's Buffalo Wild Wings and Tokyo Cafe, DeAngelo's Italian, as well as Papa Murphy's take and bake.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 AM

Holy crap, I'm so excited to move! I've never even been to the South (well Alabama a million years ago)! Hopefully the people are friendly and my boyfriend and I can meet some friends. I'm excited to see the old architecture and explore New Orleans as well.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Holy crap, I'm so excited to move! I've never even been to the South (well Alabama a million years ago)! Hopefully the people are friendly and my boyfriend and I can meet some friends. I'm excited to see the old architecture and explore New Orleans as well.
Baton Rougeans are a pretty friendly and unpretentious bunch. If you can shrug off the humidity, hurricanes, and our politicians (this has been getting somewhat better over time), you'll find it an interesting place.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Yes, once I'm in better shape, haha, we plan on joining the cycling club there to go for rides and meet friends (I'm not sure if I'm ready for 20 mile rides yet!). Are there younger people in the club, any girls? I'd also like to visit voodoo shops and learn about the French-Cajun culture. Oh, and I need to find a job, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge