Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:25 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I have to agree, Austin is very liberal. The technology advancements are way to strong for Baton Rouge. lol...... and I looked at the map before I said this but, I cant really compare Baton Rouge to anywhere. Colorado Springs, Co? I think vacations, resorts, gettaway spot, beauty? Can Baton Rouge really be that? I just held back a strong laugh thinking about it. Baton Rouge is Baton Rouge as Louisiana is Louisiana, we definitely are one of our kind.

I gotta thread in mind for a better question, follow me to the BR link........
Colorado Springs is actually a full-fledged city where actual business takes place. Skyline and everything. About 400,000 residents.

Colorado Springs economy is heavily invested in both defense and high-tech industry. Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, Hewlett-Packard, and Verizon business are among the companies with a presence in Colorado Springs.

Nevertheless, when I said I would like BTR to be more like Colorado Springs, I was referring more to the general feel of the community rather than the actual business sectors located there. Don't get me wrong, Baton Rouge should accept whatever they can get, but I think our best bet is in things like healthcare, medical research, and petrochemical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Don't get me wrong, Baton Rouge should accept whatever they can get, but I think our best bet is in things like healthcare, medical research, and petrochemical.
I agree with this sentiment - we are in a humid area with swamps and lots of greenery in all directions. We don't have the majesty of the Rockies in our backyard. But petrochem, healthcare, and government ARE the building blocks we DO have. And we should leverage that, as well as being on higher ground than New Orleans.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,233 times
The poster above who mentioned demographics has the right idea. Couple that with an educational system that doesn't produce and you're presented with two good reasons why Baton Rouge will never become another Austin or Colorado Springs.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:29 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
BR must be a very negative thinking city not to go all out and become the great city it is.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
BR must be a very negative thinking city not to go all out and become the great city it is.
Actually, we have consistently been ranked as one of the happiest cities.

Geeks With Guns - Happiest and Saddest Cities in America (http://www.geekswithguns.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=424 - broken link)

Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Is the riverfront develop there yet? Do they have high rise condo's in the city yet? When are they going to build skyscrapers downtown. They have the same skyline for almost 30 years now

Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,056 times
I have lived in Austin and Baton Rouge.

Not even close. No cigar.

The two are not even apples and oranges.
It is more like seedless grapes and horseapples.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
Quote:
Is the riverfront develop there yet? Do they have high rise condo's in the city yet? When are they going to build skyscrapers downtown. They have the same skyline for almost 30 years now
At this rate, never.

But a lot of people here are still holding their collective breaths.

It's going to take serious private investment to get anything extra going in Baton Rouge.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Well, because of regulations, no building can be built taller than the state capitol, so until that changes, our skyline will never be anything like New Orleans. There have been new additions, they just hasn't been anything 15+ stories. If RiverPlace Condos ever gets off of the ground, that will be the biggest major addition, and it will be just under the current height of the capitol.
Still, a skyline does not define how successful/powerful a city is. Look at Washington, D.C. There skyline has been the same for much longer than that of BR. The only real "skyscraper" there is the Washington Monument.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Well, because of regulations, no building can be built taller than the state capitol, so until that changes, our skyline will never be anything like New Orleans. There have been new additions, they just hasn't been anything 15+ stories. If RiverPlace Condos ever gets off of the ground, that will be the biggest major addition, and it will be just under the current height of the capitol.
Still, a skyline does not define how successful/powerful a city is. Look at Washington, D.C. There skyline has been the same for much longer than that of BR. The only real "skyscraper" there is the Washington Monument.
I thought they had done away with that stupid law where no building could be taller than the capitol. I know originally, the Riverplace Condos was going to be taller. I'm guessing they either decided not to get rid of it, or they did but noone has taken the bait to build something taller yet. Either way, downtown Baton Rouge, and other areas of town as well, could use some highrise condos and apartments. As spread out as this city is, they need to try to maximize some space and increase the density of certain business areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge