U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 09:53 AM

3,226 posts, read 8,298,729 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering with the pool of educated students can Baton Rouge become the new Austin. Surely, the city has the tools
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 AM

794 posts, read 3,111,205 times
Short answer, no. It's hard to match Austin. Certainly BTR has the potential to become a great city, but I think this state and politics and even some of its people will try hard to prohibit that from materializing. That's why this city needs to just rise above the state and say 'to hell with the rest of y'all. We really want something different.' If you don't like that or want to criticize us for our shortcomings, then continue to move to the suburbs with everyone else and keep your mouths shut. With enough will from actual determined citizens, we can fix our own problems. Therein lies the major problem, WILL.
It's worth noting that Austin has an extensive suburbia as well. Not to mention that city rose and fell just like BTR with the dot com era and now it's rising again. We fell with the last oil bust. Will we rise higher this time? Once again, the potential is there.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 AM

887 posts, read 2,755,774 times
Perhaps if it gets that loop.. and becomes more responsive to business.

Lower taxes.
Build the loop.

Baton Rouge is hampered by crime and demographics though.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 AM

3,226 posts, read 8,298,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Perhaps if it gets that loop.. and becomes more responsive to business.

Lower taxes.
Build the loop.

Baton Rouge is hampered by crime and demographics though.
What loop? Do you have an aggressive mayor who solicits companies to move there?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 AM

887 posts, read 2,755,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
What loop? Do you have an aggressive mayor who solicits companies to move there?
A loop to alleviate traffic that goes around Baton Rouge that has been proposed for many years.

Kip Holden is a decent mayor and I do think he is trying his best to get more economic development in the city.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,059,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Kip Holden is a decent mayor and I do think he is trying his best to get more economic development in the city.
Kip isn't perfect, but he's WAY more attentive towards moving BR forward than his predecessor. And the mayor before that. And the mayor before that. And.....

Old 07-11-2009, 11:14 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,059,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I was just wondering with the pool of educated students can Baton Rouge become the new Austin. Surely, the city has the tools
If LSU had the stable funding, maybe. Realistically, we should be looking for those industries/companies that can compliment what we have now (Pennington, the Miss River, being on a major east-west interstate, petrochem manufacturing).

Old 07-11-2009, 06:00 PM

96 posts, read 310,718 times
...basically before this city even hopes to compare itself to Austin in needs to embrace the need for emerging businesses. I was very hopeful with all the work from the governors office to try to bring companies to BR, but after reading the latest from LSU I got a cold slap in the face. This city needs to build on emerging technologies and become a hub for emerging companies in these fields, and where does LSU chop funding first? Its AVATAR program which was a hope for bringing such companies to BR.

True, LSU produces an immense amount of talent but who really stays? I personally work with emerging concepts and technology but if I didn't work with out of state companies I would have no prospect of staying here.

I guess we'll just remain stuck in the 19th century until people get a backbone around here.... We need to change the world's perception that BR is a third world country. I really have high hopes for this city and I am sure many are working hard to make this a great place but the third world politics have to go...

Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,248,768 times
I don't know If i care for Baton Rouge to become like Austin. Austin Is a tad liberal for my taste. I would prefer to see this city become more like Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The thing that is for certain is that Baton Rouge has a TON of potential to attract business if it can market itself right and provide a good environment for business.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM

430 posts, read 358,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I don't know If i care for Baton Rouge to become like Austin. Austin Is a tad liberal for my taste. I would prefer to see this city become more like Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The thing that is for certain is that Baton Rouge has a TON of potential to attract business if it can market itself right and provide a good environment for business.
I have to agree, Austin is very liberal. The technology advancements are way to strong for Baton Rouge. lol...... and I looked at the map before I said this but, I cant really compare Baton Rouge to anywhere. Colorado Springs, Co? I think vacations, resorts, gettaway spot, beauty? Can Baton Rouge really be that? I just held back a strong laugh thinking about it. Baton Rouge is Baton Rouge as Louisiana is Louisiana, we definitely are one of our kind.

I gotta thread in mind for a better question, follow me to the BR link........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge