U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:57 PM

17 posts, read 44,277 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've been in BR about a month now and LOVE it...however, is there some traffic rule in BR that says you can't pull forward into the intersection when making a left turn. To me pulling forward is just what you do so when an opening in traffic comes along you can speed through it, no problem. BUT I am the only person that has done this since I moved here. Is there something that I don't know about traffic laws here? please help me out, I really can't afford a ticket right now!! lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,003,918 times
Just don't get caught out there if the traffic doesn't break , and the light changes .

( I do it too . )

Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 PM

always solid advice.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 PM

2,056 posts, read 4,912,374 times
you can do that as long as the light is not red. I see people do it all the time in Lafayette. Sometimes they actually do it on red, but there are red light cameras everywhere now so people dont do it as much.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,188,626 times
There's no law against it AFAIK & I'm happy to read that there actually is somebody else who does this. I think I'd refrain from this in any of the known red light camera intersections as innotech mentions. I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that close to 80% of the tickets mailed have never been paid, and the city doesn't have the manpower to enforce the tickets. I'm not suggesting anything here, but...

Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM

2,056 posts, read 4,912,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
There's no law against it AFAIK & I'm happy to read that there actually is somebody else who does this. I think I'd refrain from this in any of the known red light camera intersections as innotech mentions. I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that close to 80% of the tickets mailed have never been paid, and the city doesn't have the manpower to enforce the tickets. I'm not suggesting anything here, but...
I got a ticket and I paid it, because I definitely was speeding on johnston Street (51 mph) and I have learned not to. Still, I try to avoid redl ight intersections now that I know where they are. there are too many situations in Lafayette that you can get stuck in them iddle of an intersection or turn late in a turn lane and get caught. Its just not worth it. Even if you slam on the brakes on yellow someone in back of you might not stop in time. I hate red light cameras.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM

which intersections are the notorious red light camera intersections? i had no idea those existed

Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,188,626 times
There's talk of the red light camera project being terminated here in Baton Rouge. Since the city's contract with the company that provides the service requires payment when the service is rendered, the city is actually losing money.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,326,977 times
I like the red light cameras as there were way too many people running red lights. I have lived many places and have never seen such disregard for red lights and safety as in Baton Rouge. It is not just kids either, it is moms in mini vans with 3 kids in the back , talk about irresponsibility!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 AM

794 posts, read 3,150,258 times
Yes, we really do have a problem with people running red lights here. Hence the whole implementation of the red light camera program (although they aren't always where they probably should be). But in these economic times now, I doubt the city retains the contract much longer, especially if they are losing money on it.
Of course, why not keep the cameras (if they're already paid for) and just cut them off from time to time. The locals might figure out which ones don't work, but everyone else won't.

And the only time you'll ever see me pull out into an intersection with a light to make a left turn is if I know for certain that I'm going to have the extended green. If I know my side doesn't, then I don't pull out. Just wait for the next cycle. I think there is a law about blocking the box (sitting in middle of intersections) this includes making a turn after your light turns red which unfortunately a ton of people around here do. This makes the other side wait on your sorry azz to make the turn so they can finally go. I have no problem blowing the horn at people that do that in front of me after I have the green and I know they had the red or unprotected green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge