Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:18 PM

12 posts, read 45,517 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. I'm relocating to Baton Rouge next year and need some help. Currently I'm looking at apartments and because of my budget I have limited choices. I'm considering the following: a nice updated unit in Riverview condos located on n 2045 3rd street, a new complex chatsworth court on s kenilworth, or a unit in bocage condos on lobdell & jefferson pkwy. My budget can go up to 100k no more than that. Can anyone give me advice? Any thoughts on these 3 units? Anyone know of any unit for sale that might be good for me?

Thank you

Last edited by MissLucia; 08-21-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,630 times
You might want to state what You are coming to BR for school,work ,retirement. Ideas on traffic are commuting.The area around 3RD street is part of a new project to Renovate Old Downtown BR .My family used to own what is now the Riverview condos,they were very stable but don't know what the new owner has done. They look very good.May not be the nicest looking part of BR. but should be safe.
I would think both of the other two areas You mentioned would be nice and safe.Like I say depends on what You want or don't want as far as traffic and shopping and access to the interstate.I'm sure someone can help You if You state some preferences.Welcome to BR.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Riverview puts you close to an industrial area but I think it's pretty safe. I think they've all been remodeled recently, too. But If I'm not mistaken, Chatsworth Court is new construction.

But like the previous poster said, if we know what you'll be working/going to school we can give a little more insight.

Crossing my fingers that everything works out for you!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Thank you both for your comments. I will be going to work but not sure where since I haven't looked for a job. I don't mind the area as long as its safe and not too much congestion. I need a unit under 100k in a decent spot. I saw the Riverview units and I did find it nicely updated but wasn't sure if the area is safe but while I was there it seemed ok to me.
fbbertus,
The riverview complex looks ok but the units are mainly investor owned so that causes a problem for financing. I haven't found a lender willing to do it without 20% down. Did you own apartments there or was it before it was gutted and remodeled?
metrobtr,
thanks for the kind thoughts! yes the chatsworth units are under construction but there is no pool or workout facility, so i'm not sure if i should go with this.

how about the units at bocage condos? i went there last month and the outside looks old but the unit was very well kept.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,630 times
Yes it is safe around Riverview.My family owned the entire complex but sold them.I do not know how the new owners have it set up.As far as bocage they are older and well established and as far as I know it is a safe area.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 PM

thanks!well people post to stay away from anything north of florida and riverview condos is north of that street so i was wondering if it was risky.please let me know if there are any other areas that you think would be good for me to consider.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucia View Post
thanks!well people post to stay away from anything north of florida and riverview condos is north of that street so i was wondering if it was risky.please let me know if there are any other areas that you think would be good for me to consider.
North of Florida is usually just the easiest definition. There are neighborhoods north of Florida that are okay (Spanishtown, Goodwood Homesites, Villa del Rey). Riverview is in an isolated area that is surrounded by buffers. Capitol Lake to the East, the river to the west, the Downtown to the south, and the plants to the north. It's not a very residential area, which works in your favor in this case.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Yes the area isn't really residential which is ok with me. I don't mind as long as I'm safe and can come and go as I want. When I looked at the properties I drove around the neighborhoods. I prefer the area of lobdell and jefferson pkwy but the riverview is better priced which is why i'm sticking to it for now.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 PM

102 posts, read 332,850 times
You mentioned being young and the mother instinct for me kicked in, LOL! I'm not sure where Jefferson and Lobdell meets, but if you were my daughter I would want you in Bocage or on Jefferson Hwy (I really like the condos on the stretch of Jefferson between Bluebonnet and Corporate/Old Hammond Hwy. Why? Because there are lots of grocery stores, shopping, drug stores, dry cleaners, etc. near by. I know when you are young you tend to come home at later hours, you also tend to grocery shop etc. later. So I would feel a little a better if my daughter was in those areas versus downtown where its pretty isoloated after 7:00 PM.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 PM

BetaBeta, thank you for your feedback. I'm 26 so yes I will most likely be out and about often. The downtown area does seem a little deserted but I didn't think anything of it. Since you did mention all the stores I can agree that it sounds like a better place to live than the downtown area. The only issue is that bocage condos aren't as updated as riverview which is why I put an offer in for a unit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge