Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 AM

102 posts, read 332,720 times

Advertisements

All of these were good suggestion, but the one that posted 225 Magazine really hit the nail on the head. I felt the same way as you when I first moved here (as the regulars on the board could tell you) then one day I found a 225 mag. In it I found everything I wanted to do and some. Now my problem is finding the time to do them all. They also have a website and I subscribed to several of their newsletters. The events won't be on as large or grande scale as you are accustomed too, but I have found that to be charming. For instance I recently went to an art show and actually got to meet and talk to every artist that had works in the show. That rarely happened in other cities as the artist were usually too busy to say more that Hello, enjoy IF they were there at all! So definitely get the 225.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Some thoughts (sorry that you don't initially like Big BR):

(1) Have you looked into the cycling clubs ? I recall you were interested in that - Alligator Bayou is a popular meeting place
(2) The Shaw Center downtown seems to have things going on from time to time
(3) BREC has some classes
(4) LSU Leisure Classes
(5) As to the "dumpy" part, it's half and half. If you stay south of Florida/Government and east of Dalrymple/Park, you'll find nicer places. But be forewarned: we don't have hills other than a small geologic fault near City Park and the Miss. River levee, so the flatness can get boring.
BRMAN

Just curious - what informed you about the geologic fault near the park? Not many local people know about it.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:02 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,073 times
If You like football watch the Saints and You might See a miracle They won today so they are undefeated soooo farrrr!No seriously hope things have picked up for You. A few more months and the Mardi Cras season and some cool weather will be here.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,186 times
What the hell is a " hipster " ?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
What the hell is a " hipster " ?
mhounit:I think She better answer that one Don'T CHA KNOW!!!lol

Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 AM

48 posts, read 108,474 times
Spanish Moon, Chelsea's, Wed Wine Walk Downtown, always an art show going on someplace, New Orleans, insomnia coffee house. There are things here you just have to look harder than other places. I have been here about 5 years and for the first couple of years I really really was hating it. I thought it was strange that a college town would be like this and I partially blamed Katrina. If you look though you can find things to do that will fit your taste. Good Luck.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 AM

17 posts, read 132,460 times
Want some really good N.O. info?: Try OffBeat Magazine (online as well). That's where I got a large portion of entertainment info! Didn't steer me wrong either! ;-)

~R504~

Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
A lot of people just seem to think that stuff to do will jump out at them-the key is to search magazines, ask co workers or cashiers at the neighborhood supermarkets, churches always have things going on and downtown or LSU has lots of activities-the Fun Section in the Friday paper has stuff too!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 AM

48 posts, read 108,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
A lot of people just seem to think that stuff to do will jump out at them-the key is to search magazines, ask co workers or cashiers at the neighborhood supermarkets, churches always have things going on and downtown or LSU has lots of activities-the Fun Section in the Friday paper has stuff too!
I think sort of the point is in other place people have lived they pretty much do jump out at you and you don't have to search them down. Not to upset people or put the city down, but Baton Rouge does lack in some culture aspects for a city of its size, especially for 25-35 age group.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane_man View Post
I think sort of the point is in other place people have lived they pretty much do jump out at you and you don't have to search them down. Not to upset people or put the city down, but Baton Rouge does lack in some culture aspects for a city of its size, especially for 25-35 age group.
I disagree with you on the point of searching for things to do! I lived in south Florida and it was the same thing-although down there, my search came up with hardly anything as the beach and bars and old folks activities were the only things-ha ha! Anyway, I have also lived in other areas where it was the same. Sure. movies and plays and comedy shows are advertised, but most smaller and fun things to do are not advertised all over the radio or tv. I think Baton Rouge has many cultural aspects- The Shaw Center, the Manship theatre, Baton Rouge Little Theatre, Swine Palace and the LASM to name a few-but we do need a nice children's museum here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge