U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,270 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved to Baton Rouge about a month ago. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a nice change, a beautiful city, and has so much wonderful potential in the city planning process, downtown revitalization, etc... The only hitch is that our house was broken into and it turns out to be a rather frequent occurrence in our neighborhood...

So - any recommendations for nice rental neighborhoods? We don't mind being a bit outside of the city. We're looking for an affordable ($850-ish for a 2 bedroom at most...) house to rent (or part of house). We love living in mid-city - it has a ton of character and it's not entirely unsafe, but after growing up in the NY area and then living in DC for five years and traveling to a number of big cities over the past few years constantly looking over our shoulders, we are ready for an even safer, quieter place, where we can pay a little less attention to how many bars and bolts are on the windows... Crime happens everywhere, but we'd love recommendations of a neighborhood here where it's statistically less probable...

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 07:11 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,126,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrooz View Post
Hi all,

I moved to Baton Rouge about a month ago. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a nice change, a beautiful city, and has so much wonderful potential in the city planning process, downtown revitalization, etc... The only hitch is that our house was broken into and it turns out to be a rather frequent occurrence in our neighborhood...

So - any recommendations for nice rental neighborhoods? We don't mind being a bit outside of the city. We're looking for an affordable ($850-ish for a 2 bedroom at most...) house to rent (or part of house). We love living in mid-city - it has a ton of character and it's not entirely unsafe, but after growing up in the NY area and then living in DC for five years and traveling to a number of big cities over the past few years constantly looking over our shoulders, we are ready for an even safer, quieter place, where we can pay a little less attention to how many bars and bolts are on the windows... Crime happens everywhere, but we'd love recommendations of a neighborhood here where it's statistically less probable...

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
I'd be interested to know which neighborhood it was (I have some suspicions though - you can PM me if ya want), but in East Baton Rouge Parish I would stay south of Florida and west of College. In addition to that, the area around Gardere, while improving, is still questionable. And along Perkins, there are some apartments (particularly near Essen) that are seedy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: