Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 78,570 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I just came on this board a couple months ago with lots of questions regarding our relocation here in BTR from NYC. Happy to say that we are settling in... we found a place, jobs, and slowly but surely we are making things work.

Our new challenge is finding either good day care or a babysitting/nanny service. We are expecting our first born next month, and will have to find day care starting in Jan or Feb. We've been looking around, and have gotten some suggestions from people from work... but it seems the all good places are full...

Any ideas of where to look? We've been looking at LSU & the local churches. Any other ideas? We aren't opposed to have someone come sit at the house (we only need help 2-3 days a week), but is there a service that helps you find reliable babysitters/nannies in town?

Many thanks (as usual) for your help!
AH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM

253 posts, read 867,159 times
I'm interested in this question as well...good post AlHayat!
BTW, how are you finding BR having moved from NYC? We're contemplating moving from Philly...although we're not originally East Coasters, just here currently for my husband to do his residency. He has an opportunity when he's done this summer with a practice in Baton Rouge.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 AM

Hi!
Yes, i'm still looking at day care, so i'll let you know if anything turns up.

We are getting used to BTR. We've been here 3 months. It's nice, kinda like a big town. We miss home--there's no place like home--but we are getting used to it. Weather is great. The only real bummer is that you have to drive everywhere.

Also, i've read posts about high crime and people being scared and all that stuff... We've made our way all over the city, and i have yet to pass through a place where i've felt "unsafe". There are rough areas and poorer areas, but every city/town has those... and people have been friendly and helpful everywhere.

Hope that gives you some insight!
ah

Old 11-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,483,711 times
Welcome to Baton Rouge and thanks for all of your nice commnets! We moved here 5 years ago from South Florida and we like it here much better. The people and food and things to do are wonderful! Welcome!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanks!
We are still learning the ropes! But overall, we're doing okay...

Old 11-13-2009, 04:07 PM

24 posts, read 79,383 times
try florida blvd. baptist church. they have an excellent staff and are reasonably priced. they do tend to fill up fast because it's so great. ask to speak to delise.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:37 PM

595 posts, read 1,169,632 times
Early Learning Center at The First Methodist Church,with out a doubt one of the finest.It is on North Blvd. and is on church property but they do not teach Religion.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:29 PM

Wow... Thanks a million, B&G and fbbertusa!
Very valuable info... I will check them out next week!

Old 11-14-2009, 07:05 PM

96 posts, read 337,836 times
kindercare next to Baton Rouge clinic is a nice one...

We did the babysitter thing for about a year, it worked great since we met them mostly through acquaintances or neighbors; all college kids who eventually move on to bigger and better things. After that we ran into trouble finding someone else as the last babysitter graduated. We tried an online sitter service (mostly an place to put adds and nannies can send in their info to you; they handle background checks, etc. that you can review before hiring) but it didn't work out. Most wanted a lot $$ and there were a lot who wanted to bring their own kids (if I remember correctly the going rate was ~$15+ hr and some even ventured into the 20's).

Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 PM

Yes, we are open to a babysitter service as well, so if you know of any please let me know... We really only need someone for maybe 20 hours a week, but don't even know where to begin... Any suggestions are helpful!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge