U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2010, 03:02 PM
 
4 posts, read 13,111 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband just got a new job there in Baton Rouge so we will be moving there at the end of the school year. I have read a bunch of postings and I am fairly confident I know the areas NOT to live in. I am deciding on home school or private right now and would love any input as to which ones to go and visit. We are not Catholic so I know that eliminates a lot of them, but I hope there are still some options. Also, I am a stay at home mom from the Dallas area. I would like to find an area that is as close to what we are used to as possible, nice neighborhoods, parks, shopping, gyms, lots for kids to do, ect. We will be renting for a while so ideally I would like something that isn't too far of a drive from the school or work for my husband (north B.R.) although will sacrifice drive time for a really nice area. I would like to keep the rent $2000 or under until we can buy. I really like the suburban areas better than the city, but still urban enough to not feel like I'm in the sticks! Thanks for any input you guys can give me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Caa
 
940 posts, read 2,325,161 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki19 View Post
Hi everyone, my husband just got a new job there in Baton Rouge so we will be moving there at the end of the school year. I have read a bunch of postings and I am fairly confident I know the areas NOT to live in. I am deciding on home school or private right now and would love any input as to which ones to go and visit. We are not Catholic so I know that eliminates a lot of them, but I hope there are still some options. Also, I am a stay at home mom from the Dallas area. I would like to find an area that is as close to what we are used to as possible, nice neighborhoods, parks, shopping, gyms, lots for kids to do, ect. We will be renting for a while so ideally I would like something that isn't too far of a drive from the school or work for my husband (north B.R.) although will sacrifice drive time for a really nice area. I would like to keep the rent $2000 or under until we can buy. I really like the suburban areas better than the city, but still urban enough to not feel like I'm in the sticks! Thanks for any input you guys can give me!
Welcome to Baton Rouge. I was just talking to my hairdresser about how great it is here and she and everyone in the salon agreed. Baton Rouge has soooo much to offer! My daughter goes to private school and I would never sned her to public here! The good ones, but more expensive, are Episcopal, Dunham School and Parkview Baptist. There is also Runnells and Riverdale school. The majoirty aer Catholic, but the others are not and there are many more, but I cannot think right now. There is also a magazine here called Baton Rouge Parents Magazine and it is also online. This months's issue features all the private school in this area, prices and more. you should check that out for sure!
There are so many things to so here for families, it is crazy! There are slo many Mardi Gras Parades coming up at the end of this month and beginning of next month here in Baton Rouge. Ooops I gotta go , dinner is ready will write more later!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,120,451 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki19 View Post
Hi everyone, my husband just got a new job there in Baton Rouge so we will be moving there at the end of the school year. I have read a bunch of postings and I am fairly confident I know the areas NOT to live in. I am deciding on home school or private right now and would love any input as to which ones to go and visit. We are not Catholic so I know that eliminates a lot of them, but I hope there are still some options. Also, I am a stay at home mom from the Dallas area. I would like to find an area that is as close to what we are used to as possible, nice neighborhoods, parks, shopping, gyms, lots for kids to do, ect. We will be renting for a while so ideally I would like something that isn't too far of a drive from the school or work for my husband (north B.R.) although will sacrifice drive time for a really nice area. I would like to keep the rent $2000 or under until we can buy. I really like the suburban areas better than the city, but still urban enough to not feel like I'm in the sticks! Thanks for any input you guys can give me!
If husband works in North BR, then you almost certainly would deal with I-10/110 commutes. Which can be traffic packed, but you do have side streets if there is a route. What style (new, old, Garden District) neighborhood would you like ? And what area of Dallas did you come from ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM
 
4 posts, read 13,111 times
Reputation: 10
I did some investigating and I was mistaken on the area he will be working. It is actually in East B.R. around Sherwood Forest and Choctaw intersection. We live in far north Dallas in the Flower Mound/HIghland Village area now. I don't think it really matters the style of the house, I would prefer a newer home, I don't know that much about the Garden District to say but I guess as long as the neighborhood is nice and the homes are big enough then it really doesn't matter. My main concern is the schools, I am looking at Dunham and Parkview so I would like to keep the drive to a minimum. Thanks for all your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,120,451 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki19 View Post
I did some investigating and I was mistaken on the area he will be working. It is actually in East B.R. around Sherwood Forest and Choctaw intersection. We live in far north Dallas in the Flower Mound/HIghland Village area now. I don't think it really matters the style of the house, I would prefer a newer home, I don't know that much about the Garden District to say but I guess as long as the neighborhood is nice and the homes are big enough then it really doesn't matter. My main concern is the schools, I am looking at Dunham and Parkview so I would like to keep the drive to a minimum. Thanks for all your input!
OK, for that part of town, I'd look at an area bounded by Airline, the Amite River, Florida Boulevard, and Tiger Bend Road. And for commuting, I'd avoid SHerwood Forest traffic. Instead, you can take Flannery and/or O'Neal, which connect you with Choctaw. So in this "box", you have Shwerood Forest, Carrington Place, Broadmoor, Wedgewood, Shenandoah, Hickory Ridge, Woodland Ridge, and Parkview Oaks.

The reason I asked where in Dallas you lived is that (to me, anyway) Flower Mound/Highland Village is "newer" (meaning in my book post 1970s) upper middle class suburban housing. Given that criteria, I'd eliminate Sherwood Forest and Broadmoor. And if you can get your children into Parkview, Parkview Oaks, Carrington Place, and/or Hickory Ridge would be pretty convenient.

This is always the subject of debate, but I do NOT recommend the Garden District because (1) it's overpriced, (2) it has slummy neighborhoods close by - if you were to imagine the "M Streets" and/or homes off Gaston Avenue near White Rock Lake, the Garden District would be a similar kind of setup.

Anyway, just my opinion. Feel free to DM me if you have more specific questions......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 PM
 
4 posts, read 13,111 times
Reputation: 10
Yes you hit the nail on the head, I'm glad you know the area we live in so it is easier to give advice! So sorry I'm new to this and I'm not sure what DM means....? Are the schools you mentioned private or public? Also, the neighborhoods you mentioned, are they in BR or in outlying areas? It is really hard to search on the internet for neighborhoods or specific housing communities unless they have a website. I have been looking at Denham Springs or Zachary as I have found most people think they are pretty good areas to live in, any thoughts?? Thank you so much for the much appreciated info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,120,451 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki19 View Post
Yes you hit the nail on the head, I'm glad you know the area we live in so it is easier to give advice! So sorry I'm new to this and I'm not sure what DM means....? Are the schools you mentioned private or public? Also, the neighborhoods you mentioned, are they in BR or in outlying areas? It is really hard to search on the internet for neighborhoods or specific housing communities unless they have a website. I have been looking at Denham Springs or Zachary as I have found most people think they are pretty good areas to live in, any thoughts?? Thank you so much for the much appreciated info.
(1) DM = Direct Message
(2)Parkview is private - I wouldn't wish (what's left of) the EBR Schools on anyone. To be honest, my sentence was unclear ".....And if you can get your children into Parkview, Parkview Oaks, Carrington Place, and/or Hickory Ridge would be pretty convenient..." everything after "Parkview" was a subdivision name.
(3) The neighborhoods I mentioned are all in East Baton Rouge Parish - most are in the city limits of Baton Rouge; I know that Carrington Place, Hickory Ridge, and Shenandoah are not. FOr where your husband is working, if you're going the private school route, I would NOT recommend dealing with I-12 and/or I-10 from neighboring parishes.
(4) Denham and Zachary have good schools, but it's the equivalent of living in Terrell or Forney....if that's what you want, great, but I would not personally want to live there.

Anyway, glad to help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Caa
 
940 posts, read 2,325,161 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
(1) DM = Direct Message
(2)Parkview is private - I wouldn't wish (what's left of) the EBR Schools on anyone. To be honest, my sentence was unclear ".....And if you can get your children into Parkview, Parkview Oaks, Carrington Place, and/or Hickory Ridge would be pretty convenient..." everything after "Parkview" was a subdivision name.
(3) The neighborhoods I mentioned are all in East Baton Rouge Parish - most are in the city limits of Baton Rouge; I know that Carrington Place, Hickory Ridge, and Shenandoah are not. FOr where your husband is working, if you're going the private school route, I would NOT recommend dealing with I-12 and/or I-10 from neighboring parishes.
(4) Denham and Zachary have good schools, but it's the equivalent of living in Terrell or Forney....if that's what you want, great, but I would not personally want to live there.

Anyway, glad to help.
I agree with BR Man on all points as usual. There is also Briarwood Estates and Woodridge, those are nice neighborhoods as well. They are off of Airline and 7 minutes away from Parkview Baptist and about 10 minutes from Dunham School. Both are rated excellent schools. Did you look up the Baton Rouge Parents Magazine yet? Good information about many things here in Baton Rouge. I enjoy living here with the great people, food and activities. There is also the Louisiana Arts and Science Museum downtown and they have the first free Saturday art program for kids every first Saturday,that is always fun. There are also many sport activites thru BREC, BRSA(Baton Rouge soccer Assco) and YMCA. There are also many LSU activities to attend going on all the time! There is also the Downtown in the Park with free music certain times of the year. Many library branches also offer much more then books! Good Luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,120,451 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
I agree with BR Man on all points as usual. There is also Briarwood Estates and Woodridge, those are nice neighborhoods as well.
Also good neighborhoods. While those are outside my arbitrary boundaries, It's close enough for college work . In a few years, those will be more desirable neighborhoods, b/c they're supposed to be improving Pecue Lane and (eventually) adding on/off ramps to/from I-10.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
 
19 posts, read 48,442 times
Reputation: 11
BRMAn is correct, he helped out greatly when we moved at the end of Dec. We choose Jefferson/Highlsnd road area. My other half took a job near the Sherwood Forest and Choctaw intersection also. It's about 13 miles to our apt and takes about 30 mins to get to work and about 20 mins at nite.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top