U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:21 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,123,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelame View Post
What about Afton Oaks off of Sherwood Forest, or Azalea Point on Brightside
or Sherwood Acres on Sherwood Forest?
Are any of these in a good area and descent?
thanks again
- Afton Oaks is so so. Those apartments have been around for about 20 years.
- Azalea Point on Brightside must be new, b/c it doesn't ring a bell.
- Are you talking about Sherwood Acres on Coursey ? Those are OK, even though they've been around a while.
- One that is fairly decent, though it's older, is Castlebrook on Sherwood just south of Coursey. Only thing about that part of town is the traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
Angel, I don't know how to diplomatically say it, but you need to take BR Man's suggestions with a very large grain of salt.

Spanish Oaks is NOT in a bad area. I had friends who lived there a few years back. It's an area known as Mid-City. The neighborhood grocery is Calandro's ... one of my favorites. Great neighborhood restaurants ... Bistro Byronz, Superior Grill, La Carreta, artsy shops, etc.

You really need to visit the city in person to get a feel for it. It's almost scary to think that someone would make a life-changing decision based on the opinions (and that includes my own) of strangers.

Bistro Byronz

Superior Grill :: Fabulous Mexican Dining

Calandro's Supermarket

La Carreta

Caffery Gallery

Circa 1857 :: Art and Architecture :: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Couple of thoughts from "the grain of salt:"

(1) ALL of Government is marginal. The establishments mentioned are an effort (and a good one, by the way) to make this part of town "hip." And young people have been moving into areas nearby like Capitol Heights. Still, the ghetto is close by, and it is at your doorstep once you pass Acadian going into town.
(2) I'll happily repeat my advice above to visit the areas in person, as "....you can see the types of people/cars coming and going from the complex between, say, 5 and 7. And get a feel for traffic and available retail..." Because ultimately by the person moving to BR has to make a judgement call. Still, someone who has never been to Baton Rouge before needs to know the places (Gardere, Blvd De Province, north of campus) that are VERY bad news.

Just my 0.5 cents worth (after taxes, insurance, and gas)

Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 PM

369 posts, read 1,562,946 times
Oh I forgot to mention in my first post that there are some pretty nice apartments On Jefferson Highway Between Corporate Boulevard and Essen Lane. The only name I can remember right now is one called simply The Jefferson, but there are several more that aren't on the tip of my tongue. There's is also a relatively new development on Mancuso Lane, Just of of Essen. I don't remember the name right now (no big surprise), but My sister currently shares one of the apartments with a roomate and they love it.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 PM

155 posts, read 729,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Still, someone who has never been to Baton Rouge before needs to know the places (Gardere, Blvd De Province, north of campus) that are VERY bad news.
We're not talking about Gardere and north of campus. Many parts of BR, even the exclusive areas, are just a stone's throw from those less fortunate. Ever driven down Highland Road between Siegen and I-10? Many multi-million dollar homes, but there across from Rudolph's are the original land owners. Don't ya know those rich people are just chomping at the bit, waiting to get their hands on that precious land.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 34,805 times
We just found some apts on jefferson called the Warwick, they have utilities included in the rent and the area seems like a nice one.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
We're not talking about Gardere and north of campus. Many parts of BR, even the exclusive areas, are just a stone's throw from those less fortunate. Ever driven down Highland Road between Siegen and I-10? Many multi-million dollar homes, but there across from Rudolph's are the original land owners. Don't ya know those rich people are just chomping at the bit, waiting to get their hands on that precious land.
Especially since Katrina, where is seems they're trying to develop every parcel of land with clear title.

Thanks to apartments that went Section 8 in the 80s and older apartments that went down, there is a bit of a "checkerboard." But there are still some areas I would not feel comfortable living, based on past, current, and future trends. And other areas I wouldn't mind living in. Which is where we locals come in - when person xyz wants to move to Baton Rouge and is befuddled as to why that "nice" house off Plank Road is selling for under $100K

Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 PM

369 posts, read 1,562,946 times
Quote:
We just found some apts on jefferson called the Warwick, they have utilities included in the rent and the area seems like a nice one.
Those are pretty nice.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 34,805 times
We have found some really good leads for the sherwood forest area , we just have to get the applications notorized since we are coming from out of state,
we also have some other leads but we need to find out if the area is okay before considering them.
How is the Jennifer Jean area?
Are Capital Heights near Richland?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
We have found some really good leads for the sherwood forest area , we just have to get the applications notorized since we are coming from out of state,
we also have some other leads but we need to find out if the area is okay before considering them.
How is the Jennifer Jean area?
Are Capital Heights near Richland?
Be careful about Sherwood Forest - (1) it has slummy apartments surrounding it on 3 sides, (2) it will be the next area to racially change after the middle class neighborhoods between Florida and Greenwell Springs

Jennifer Jean - Even in the early 1990s, I nicknamed it "Baghdad Alley" - its a bunch of duplexes that are not well kept and are populated by transients. But it's not like Gardere, and there are new apartments/condos around it going up.

Capital Heights - this will spark a debate, but Capitol Heights, though old and charming, is not far away from ghetto on the north and south.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 27,457 times
Default Capital Heights

Spanish Town is not a great place for teens; however, if she's going to be in college, I think it would be fine! Capital Heights is the area between Acadian and Jefferson, bordered by Government on the North. I wouldn't go North of Government, but I live 2 houses off of Government in Capital Heights, the rent is reasonable, it's extremely convenient to LSU, the interstate, shopping, etc... I recommend calling a realtor who will access to condo rentals and small home rentals. If you're on the South side of campus (Lee and Brightside) you're most likely moving next door to frat boys- safety is fine, but be prepared to deal with parties and noise. Depending on how close to LSU you really want to be- there are some nice complexes off of Coursey and Stumberg which are about 20-30 minutes away from LSU on average, but in a great family oriented neighborhood. Good Luck, and welcome to Louisiana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: