Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 04:10 PM

228 posts, read 444,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Baton Rouge has problems, New Orleans has problems. People hate as well as love both cities. Doesn't matter who says it, suck it up, get over it. Pathetic.

Who Dat!
I agree, it's very pathetic when none Baton Rouge residents feel the need to come to a Baton Rouge forum and rag on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
I love Baton Rouge, it is my home!!! Life is too short to worry!!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficsucks View Post
I agree, it's very pathetic when NON Baton Rouge residents feel the need to come to a Baton Rouge forum and rag on the city.
Suck it up, get over it. Some people visit other cities and are able to form opionions.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficsucks View Post
I agree, it's very pathetic when none Baton Rouge residents feel the need to come to a Baton Rouge forum and rag on the city.
It's a little more pathetic when people make observations of how to make your hometown greater and all you do is shoot it down...

Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
It's a little more pathetic when people make observations of how to make your hometown greater and all you do is shoot it down...
Yes rcp11889 , you're right . We should welcome your opinions because what works for N.O. will surely work for B.R. . It has to . I'm sure the funding for this massive overhaul of our city is sitting out there waiting for somebody to request it . What the hell were we thinking ? Thank God people smarter than ourselves take the time to come here and point out our shortcomings and inadequacies . I see that it wasn't critcism all along , but rather " a helping hand up " . Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day to help the less fortunate ( and ignorant ) , we all love you for it .

Old 07-02-2011, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,856 times
Since they banned my last account and I have nothing better to do at work:

This is so typical of the Baton Rouge attitude. Deny deny deny. No one knows anything except the people in BR. That is literally what this thread has become. People offering solid suggestions. Then the stereotypical middle aged Baton Rouge proponents claiming everyone else is an idiot BUT them and they are always right because the rest of us are just out of towners who are out of touch with "the real America."

No one here is saying what will work for NOLA will work for BR. No one is saying what works in NYC or Miami or LA will work for BR.

I saw a pretty good suggeston about the sidewalks. Obviously BR is car centric. It really is ridiculous how you can't walk around your own neighborhood because the roads are in such poor shape and if there are sidewalks, they are generally beaten into the ground by this point.

BTW, people are not moving to BR from other parts of the country. Most of the migration has been intrastate, meaning no new capital.

I saw there was a comment about job creation and how minimum wage is better than nothing. That's true, but minimum wage should not be an aspiration for BR.

I heard plenty of BR residents (not all, but plenty) complain that employers won't relocate to BR. They blamed everyone but themselves and BR. They think no one wants to relocate to BR because the employers are out of touch with what BR, Louisiana, and the country need.

The schools in BR are terrible, the infrastructure is terrible, the housing diversity is terrible. Sure, plenty of other cities have the same problem. But old stereotypes fizzle out hard. So when you combine that with Louisiana's history, it doesn't look pretty.

Frankly, the attitude in BR does not mesh with most of the country. I don't mean this politically. But when you have such anti federal government attitudes, you wouldn't expect that the first thing people/the state government would do is scream for federal help.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM

228 posts, read 444,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntafan17 View Post

This is so typical of the Baton Rouge attitude. Deny deny deny. No one knows anything except the people in BR. That is literally what this thread has become. People offering solid suggestions. Then the stereotypical middle aged Baton Rouge proponents claiming everyone else is an idiot BUT them and they are always right because the rest of us are just out of towners who are out of touch with "the real America."
Another bitter outsider who paints everyone in Baton Rouge as dumb and ignorant.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
His post made alot of sense. I spent 19 years in Baton Rouge/Prairieville and now my opinions are questioned because I live in Houston for school? It's not coming from me personally, but some people would call that ignorance.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:42 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,073 times

Just what we need ,someone that admits he has been banned from at least one Acct. here already, and has nothing to at work .

Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,186 times
What you alleged " do gooders " fail to grasp is that most Baton Rouge folks , including myself , are NOT opposed to new bus lines , trains , sidewalks , and all of the other things you complain about . The city DOES NOT HAVE THE MONEY for these things . The City/Parish is under a Federal mandate to repair and upgrade it's sewer system . Existing streets need repair . The school system is suffering . Ditches need cleaning . The mass transit system is busted ,the list goes on . Where are the hundreds of millions of dollars that are needed to pull this off going to come from ? NEW taxes ? HELL no ! We can't trust the Mayor to spend existing money wisely . The Federal Govt. ? Wrong again . " Corporate donations " ? Be real .
It's so easy to claim that " we are only suggesting ways to make your city better " , but when we ask the hard questions , you say we're backwards and closed minded . You're not here to help , you're here to critcize and feel superior . If you only knew ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge