U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:42 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,332,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
How would I find out about busing? I think that you should go to the school nearest to you, makes a nice sense of community as all the kids go to the same school, neighbors knowing each other even better etc. I thought the mandated busing was gone about a year ago....
Yep, those were the good old days. Many subdivisions in Baton Rouge had their own neighborhood school (especially elementarys), and good neighborhood equated to a good school. But now some of the best neighborhoods in town have some of the worst schools. It makes absolutely no sense the way things are being run.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,327,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
I don't know what You want to know and if You could get the truth.Do You want to get into the Legal aspects of the Law and Busing?Or just the local Formula they use to do it ,Call the School Bd.Much more than that will probably give anyone HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.
I live on a street that is two blocks long and has a State Hwy dividing it,and there are no school age children around for several streets but I am bombarded every AM & PM with empty school buses cutting thru My neighborhood on My street EMPTY .When I tried To find out about it I got no farther than the Operator there is one organization I do not have confidence or trust in.Good LUCK
Thanks for the ideas! The local formula would be what I would want to use! I know what you mean about busses! I filed a complaint to the school board about a bus speeding thru my neighborhood 2 weeks ago. Take care!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 AM

48 posts, read 99,611 times
Let's keep God, Spaghetti Monster, Buddha, etc out of public schools and let Math, Reading, and other academic subjects back in. If you feel that your child needs to be taught religion then there are many private schools and churches that can accommodate those needs.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane_man View Post
Let's keep God, Spaghetti Monster, Buddha, etc out of public schools and let Math, Reading, and other academic subjects back in. If you feel that your child needs to be taught religion then there are many private schools and churches that can accommodate those needs.
Oh, I realize that, but God was in schools for so long and now He is not and I think that if some kids can pray on mats 3 times a day, then, yes, God needs to be there too. It is true that many private offer religion, but it is getting so expensive that public is the way to go anymore. I also think that healthy lunches and PE are equally important and those are not offered much anymore as well so I hear. I am sick of liberals getti ng their way all the time as well.!

Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 PM

went to cchek out one elem school and the percentage of black to white was 50/50. The school was nice, but not sure of I want the "public school" child stigma for my child-I also talked to a friend who said the elem schools are ok, but never ever would she send her child to a public middle school or high school here in Baton Rouge-I wish I could find out the real facts though!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 PM

42 posts, read 102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
went to cchek out one elem school and the percentage of black to white was 50/50. The school was nice, but not sure of I want the "public school" child stigma for my child-I also talked to a friend who said the elem schools are ok, but never ever would she send her child to a public middle school or high school here in Baton Rouge-I wish I could find out the real facts though!!!

Caa, have you ever checked out the site greatschools.com? It rates schools on a national level according to test scores and several other stats. The site also gives individual school test scores, racial makeup etc, and also comments from parents. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Thank you Seahorse3, I have checked it out for a moment or two, but got interrupted, will do it again thanks!

Old 04-10-2010, 03:58 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,332,470 times
Cedarcrest-Southmoor, Parkview, and Shenandoah are all aceptable.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:20 AM

16 posts, read 51,680 times
All I know is that I grew up in east b.R. schools in the 80's, in the Belaire area. And with the busing I got messed up through middle school trying to deal with the culture shock, and was always watching my back you know. So I swore to my self that I wouldn't put my kids through it and started off having them in Denham Springs schools, but when Central became its own town a couple of years ago we moved here because the schools are even better than livingston or ascension for that matter, not to mention the people in the area are great. And we have the convenience of B.R. still as well as D.S. and a few other towns. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Thanks Jayce, I also see MetroBTR has suggestions, but don't you have to live in the schools distric to go there or am I mistaken? WE aren't in those schools districts. I hate the busing thing, very unfair to some people you know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge