U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,333,667 times

Advertisements

I know I already asked this, but what is so bad about the public school system here in Baton Rouge?? Any information would be helpful as we are considering changing from private to public due to money....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM

595 posts, read 1,068,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
I know I already asked this, but what is so bad about the public school system here in Baton Rouge?? Any information would be helpful as we are considering changing from private to public due to money....
My Opinion as to what is wrong with BR schools Is basically,Like most growing city' You have outdated Schools here ,not enough quality school,this I feel is changing here .The Education bills always seems to have to share it' Budget with Stupid bills Such as the bill for a state cookie,or some other program that has nothing to do with ED.And 2ND to last serious would be Mismanagement in the Dept .of Ed.And bad hiring practices,A low wage.And the Biggest issue with Me is the forced busing.We need to upgrade our school system to include TEACHING and not so much BS about Gays being banned from School proms ,Taking GOD out of school,Lack of allowable spanking in upper grades,Heck it never caused Me to be traumatized.Three pops on the azz by the Asst. FOOTBALL coach with a paddle with a little hole in it kept us Boys in line.
You can get a good education here if You want to My daughter was raised in the HOOD N of LSU and She is a Reg. nurse Now.parents need to stay up there kids AZZ untill they get the picture.We did not have the trouble with lawsuits over PETTY BS and shootings when I was in school.All we did was dance, drink a little and try to Score with the Ladies,and study if we had the time.Much different today but You just use different methods and Parent involvement is strongly recommended.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
My Opinion as to what is wrong with BR schools Is basically,Like most growing city' You have outdated Schools here ,not enough quality school,this I feel is changing here .The Education bills always seems to have to share it' Budget with Stupid bills Such as the bill for a state cookie,or some other program that has nothing to do with ED.And 2ND to last serious would be Mismanagement in the Dept .of Ed.And bad hiring practices,A low wage.And the Biggest issue with Me is the forced busing.We need to upgrade our school system to include TEACHING and not so much BS about Gays being banned from School proms ,Taking GOD out of school,Lack of allowable spanking in upper grades,Heck it never caused Me to be traumatized.Three pops on the azz by the Asst. FOOTBALL coach with a paddle with a little hole in it kept us Boys in line.
You can get a good education here if You want to My daughter was raised in the HOOD N of LSU and She is a Reg. nurse Now.parents need to stay up there kids AZZ untill they get the picture.We did not have the trouble with lawsuits over PETTY BS and shootings when I was in school.All we did was dance, drink a little and try to Score with the Ladies,and study if we had the time.Much different today but You just use different methods and Parent involvement is strongly recommended.
Love you guy! You made me laugh and how true it all is as well. Lack of dicipline is a big thing I think. Also, you are correct, I heard about the state cookie and I was like WTF? You kidding me? I also agree with you on all points and will serioulsy consider all you said. Thanks for your great input, I hope we can get more opinions as to the public schools as well. Happy Easter( I love religion, it is what makes the world go round)!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:12 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,347,750 times
I agree with fbb on all points except one, but I don't want to start a holy war over the internet...that's all I'm gonna say on the subject. But I PARTICULARLY agree on the bussing issue. Makes absolutely no sense for kids to have to transfer busses and all that commotion just because some people think that a school SIMPLY CANNOT BE SUCCESSFUL if there is too much of one race (be they white, black, yellow, or red, etc.) attending the school.

Till the time when parents, students, teachers, and the "powers that be" get their act together when it comes to our regular neighborhood school districts, I would highly recommend tyring your damndest to get your kids into one of the magnet programs here in town.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM

"Taking GOD out of school" .Just to clarify I am for keeping God in the School System.Same with Me I do not want to start a holy war over it.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
"Taking GOD out of school" .Just to clarify I am for keeping God in the School System.Same with Me I do not want to start a holy war over it.
I agree-God is the reason we are here today and I am sick of them trying to take it out of schools! I have heard that many schools allow children to pray to Allah on their time, why not allow Christians the time to pray in a group as well? Also, didn't the busing issue change recently and kids are allowed to go to the school that they are nearest to?

Old 04-02-2010, 05:27 PM

There have been changes but I do not know the details.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,347,750 times
Many kids still have to transfer busses at Independence Park.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 PM

How would I find out about busing? I think that you should go to the school nearest to you, makes a nice sense of community as all the kids go to the same school, neighbors knowing each other even better etc. I thought the mandated busing was gone about a year ago....

Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 PM

I don't know what You want to know and if You could get the truth.Do You want to get into the Legal aspects of the Law and Busing?Or just the local Formula they use to do it ,Call the School Bd.Much more than that will probably give anyone HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.
I live on a street that is two blocks long and has a State Hwy dividing it,and there are no school age children around for several streets but I am bombarded every AM & PM with empty school buses cutting thru My neighborhood on My street EMPTY .When I tried To find out about it I got no farther than the Operator there is one organization I do not have confidence or trust in.Good LUCK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge