Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 02:41 PM

20 posts, read 52,945 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We will be in Bend in the next few months for vacation and would love to make the most out of all the outdoor recreation. We will be traveling with 3 kids (10,8 and 3) so would love to find some great hikes and bike trails geared for families at this age. We have spent many summers in Sunriver, so we are a little familiar with the area, but wanted to get a good head start on planning. We will only be there for 4-5 days.
also...how late does Mt. Bachelor stay open? or does it depend on snow coverage?
Thanks in advance for any input!
zogg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,264,809 times
Mt. Bachelor is open until May 31st this year. The mountain, though, will close down some lifts at the end of April due to crowd numbers, etc.....

It really depends on what month you decide to make your trip. Some really great hiking and biking trails aren't going to be accessible for a a little while due to snow. If you're unsure, some of us can make suggestions, but it'd really help to have the time frame.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM

456 posts, read 1,002,953 times
The Deschutes river trail is usually a safe bet.

Deschutes & Ochoco National - Summer Trails - Deschutes River

With almost record snowfall this year in the Cascades, it might be a challenge to hike or bike above 5,500' until late July.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,655,541 times
Mt. Bachelor's winter operations will remain open until May 31st and then they will switch to summer operations. I'm not sure at what point they will actually open for summer visitors though, as I do believe there is a shoulder season between the two. If you visit later in the year, in July or August, you can ride the chairlift up and enjoy hiking, frisbee golf, and a meal at the lodge. It's not the best food, IMO, but the views are spectacular.

You may want to look at the trail along Tumalo Falls. It's a nice hike, but nothing too difficult for the 3 year old. There are also numerous hikes around Sisters that are family friendly. One area I took my sister and nephew to was the fish hatchery in Metolious. My 2 year old nephew had a blast looking at all the fish.

There's a great "guide" book called Bend, Overall (yes, that's the name) that has great suggested activities, including hikes but also other places within a few hours of Bend. I would highly recommend getting this book.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 AM

456 posts, read 1,002,953 times
I also like "Central Oregon Cascade Lakes Scenic Drive & Recreation Guide" by Sun Publishing.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 52,945 times
I'm sure this is ridiculous to ask...but are there bike shops close to the trails? The deschutes river looks fun, and we could pull the 3yr old to get in more milage. Any suggestions on which "leg" of this trail would be best suited for a bike trailer?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:07 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,655,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogg View Post
I'm sure this is ridiculous to ask...but are there bike shops close to the trails? The deschutes river looks fun, and we could pull the 3yr old to get in more milage. Any suggestions on which "leg" of this trail would be best suited for a bike trailer?
There are plenty of bike shops in Bend. About the closest you will get to the trails is a few miles. Honestly though, I don't think any leg of the Deschutes River Trail is suitable to take a bike trailer along, as there are single track sections and steep embankments in certain spots. You could bike along the river through town, which is mostly paved and would suitable for a bike trailer. The Old Mill District has a nice section of the river to enjoy.

You might want to look at this website. It seems to have a lot of great suggestions on things to do. Bend Oregon Visitor Bureau for Hotels, Lodging or Restaurants

Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,264,809 times
Try these sites for Bike trails:

Home : Central Oregon Trail Alliance - Mountain Biking Trails Bend Sisters Oregon, Trail Maps Information
&
Oregon Mountain Bike Trails

As for bike shops there are more than you can count. I personally like Sunny Side Sports. Mostly because it is close to my house.

Map of bike shops: bend or - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: