Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:46 AM
pth pth started this thread

274 posts, read 459,444 times

Advertisements

After doing some research, the westside is where we wanna live if we end up tackling our move to bend. It's pricey but if you dig deep you can find some good rentals.

If it ends up being that we must shack up in the NE/SE side of bend, how accessible will the recreation opportunities still be? And are they bike-able? I know pilot butte is right there but I've been reading that the west side is much more bike-friendly and much closer to outdoor fun..and thats what we're all about

Coming from Burlington, VT (God bless the bike path), I'd say im spoiled when it comes to bike-able towns..and if bend is even half as bike friendly as I thought burlington to be then I'll be happy.

So whats accessibility like if we end up on the east side of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
We live on the east side of town and are less than 2 miles from downtown Bend. There are designated bike paths throughout the city and most are connected. Mid-town Bend (where we live), is actually really nice and you get a little more for your money. If you are looking to bike from your front door to trails, then the westside is a little more accessible, but it's not impossible from the east side. Just stay west of the hospital and everything is still pretty close.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,280,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
After doing some research, the westside is where we wanna live if we end up tackling our move to bend. It's pricey but if you dig deep you can find some good rentals.

If it ends up being that we must shack up in the NE/SE side of bend, how accessible will the recreation opportunities still be? And are they bike-able? I know pilot butte is right there but I've been reading that the west side is much more bike-friendly and much closer to outdoor fun..and thats what we're all about

Coming from Burlington, VT (God bless the bike path), I'd say im spoiled when it comes to bike-able towns..and if bend is even half as bike friendly as I thought burlington to be then I'll be happy.

So whats accessibility like if we end up on the east side of town?
What Delta said.

Also, I've spent some time in Burlington, VT (used to vacation in S. Royalton - I'm from the east coast) and I think you'll find the west side of Bend just as bike friendly as Burlington, if not more. The eastside is a little more tricky due, in part, to larg(er)-multi lane roads & faster moving traffic.

If you live on the eastside of town, I'd imagine one would bike less than the westside due to the reasons mentioned above and proximity to the trails, if that is your thing. I can see the eastside becoming more discouraging on a day-to-day basis than the westside when it comes to biking everywhere you'd want to go, but many people definitely do it.

If you have any questions about the differences between the two states and towns, let me know! Burlington was 3rd on my list for relocation when I made the move last year. It was just too dominated by the school, too cold, and once you leave the "city" of Burlington, there isn't much else out there in terms of population and culture. That said, Vermont is still my favorite State, but Oregon is a close second. They share many similarities!

Last edited by kapetrich; 07-13-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
What Delta said.

Also, I've spent some time in Burlington, VT (used to vacation in S. Royalton - I'm from the east coast) and I think you'll find the west side of Bend just as bike friendly as Burlington, if not more. The eastside is a little more tricky due, in part, to larg(er)-multi lane roads & faster moving traffic.

If you live on the eastside of town, I'd imagine one would bike less than the westside due to the reasons mentioned above and proximity to the trails, if that is your thing. I can see the eastside becoming more discouraging on a day-to-day basis than the westside when it comes to biking everywhere you'd want to go, but many people definitely do it.

If you have any questions about the differences between the two states and towns, let me know! Burlington was 3rd on my list for relocation when I made the move last year. It was just too dominated by the school, too cold, and once you leave the "city" of Burlington, there isn't much else out there in terms of population and culture. That said, Vermont is still my favorite State, but Oregon is a close second. They share many similarities!
AWESOME! I just might get in touch with you then. We're currently looking at asheville (I'm from nc) and Bend. I've done research on TOOOONSS of other outdoor cities but i keep landing on bend. Asheville seems to have a lot of growing to do and my lady and I like the sport climbing opportunities right outside of bend.

Some things I'm concerned about though after reading EVERY thread on this site about bend(haha):

-airport proximity and price
-night life
-isolation in the winter(do i need a big city though?)
-social life, meeting new folks
-live music

Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
We live on the east side of town and are less than 2 miles from downtown Bend. There are designated bike paths throughout the city and most are connected. Mid-town Bend (where we live), is actually really nice and you get a little more for your money. If you are looking to bike from your front door to trails, then the westside is a little more accessible, but it's not impossible from the east side. Just stay west of the hospital and everything is still pretty close.
yeah thats kind of the way i looked at it. Having never been, I'm just trying to imagine a bigger town because of the population. And while everything was biking distance in burlington, bend is bigger so i wasnt sure. thanks! Is pilot butte state park large? Or is it really just a few trails up and down?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
Pilot Butte is small, really just one trail up and down, unless you count the road, which the park does. However, there are plenty of other hikes close to town, so it's not a big deal. We moved to Bend 3 years ago from Colorado, where I was born and raised. We like Bend and what it has to offer, but we don't see ourselves staying here long term due in part to the isolation. It's just too difficult and expensive for us to get out of here and visit family in Colorado and Pennsylvania. The price of tickets from the Redmond airport can be pretty high, especially around the holidays. However, factor in driving over to Portland, a hotel stay usually, and parking, and it's about the same price.

We also don't like the very short summers (although they are beautiful once they arrive). I'm an avid gardener, and the growing season here makes it almost impossible to garden without hoop houses, greenhouses, and other protective measures. If you like to grow your own food at all, the westside of town is really very difficult. We live in the same neighborhood with Bend's only successful community garden and it's no accident where it was placed. Just something to consider if you or your girlfriend like to grow your own food.

Kapetrich is right about biking in Bend too. My husband is one of those guys that bikes year round so it doesn't bother him. I'm more of a fair weather biker. I find it difficult to jump on my bike to go downtown when the weather isn't nice. Of course, if we lived right in the heart of town, that probably wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Bend actually has a fairly active music scene. My hubby is a musician and he's been impressed by the acts that roll through town, even in the winter. Now it's not nearly the scene of Asheville, but for a town this size, it's good. However, if you play, breaking into the scene is a bit tougher. It's a little cliquey, but I guess that's to be expected.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
AWESOME! I just might get in touch with you then. We're currently looking at asheville (I'm from nc) and Bend. I've done research on TOOOONSS of other outdoor cities but i keep landing on bend. Asheville seems to have a lot of growing to do and my lady and I like the sport climbing opportunities right outside of bend.

Some things I'm concerned about though after reading EVERY thread on this site about bend(haha):

-airport proximity and price
-night life
-isolation in the winter(do i need a big city though?)
-social life, meeting new folks
-live music
We sound similar. Semi-obsessing and over researching...ha. It did me well, so good luck, this site is an amazing tool!

Asheville was in my top 5. I had never been and made a trip the summer before I settled on Bend. This thread Asheville is discussed along with other "mountain towns": Best Kinda sunny, kinda liberal mountain town?

IMO, Asheville will have less outdoor opportunities since there isn't really a winter there. I'd imagine Burlington has more variety in that area. Also, you have to deal with the humidity. It's oppressive. As for climbing, Bend trumps both towns HANDS DOWN. Smith Rock is world renowned - One of the best locations in North America. That pretty much goes for any extreme outdoor activities. You really can't even compare Bend's recreation to Burlington and Asheville. Bend is more in the same breathe with locals in the Rockies and the Sierras.

That said, Asheville will offer a more vibrant downtown with more culture and social scene's than both Burlington and Bend, if that is something you're looking for. Burlington is tiny and dominated by the University and Bend is still a new town growing into its own (which I love - it's not yet fully established and you can still have an impact)

I'll stop blabbering because this is more suited for a PM conversation. PM me and I can go into MUCH greater detail.

As for your concerns:

airport proximity and price - The Redmond airport is what we use in Bend. It is 20mins drive. Not bad at all. Major connections from Redmond are Denver, SLC, Portland, Seattle and SF. Unless traveling to these destinations, plan on having a connection flight though them. To give you some perspective, when I book my flights back east to Baltimore I can find a round trip ticket out of Redmond for $500-$600 with a connection in SLC or Denver. Not bad, imo.

night life & live music - I didn't move here for the nightlife. Most people don't. On weekdays bars close early, weekends 2am. We have something like 12 breweries and counting and there are festivals and music downtown every weekend in the summer with a couple other festivals in the winter months. We have a few music venues that offer a decent selection (electronic, indie (Def Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, Flaming Lips, etc.), hip-hop (Talib Kweli and the like), funk (we have a funk festival at the end of this month), etc.....) There is actually an amazing amount of culture for a town of it's size.

isolation in the winter(do i need a big city though?) - A drive to Portland is 3.5 hours and Seattle 5.5 hrs. I've lived here for about a year now. I grew up in Baltimore and am VERY used to jumping in my car or a bus to go to DC, Philly and NYC on whim for the weekend. I haven't felt very isolated yet. The biggest difference for me is how little people out here keep up with political news and how distant you truly feel from politics and finance being 3 hours behind. The internet gets me through any fret of isolation, though. 20 years ago I think I'd be singing a different tune.

social life, meeting new folks - In Bend you tend to meet people based on the outdoor activity you are interested in. Many conversations revolve around this aspect. I'm 26 and moved here with 2 roommates and haven't had a problem meeting new people either on the slopes, trails or at work. It helps that most everyone is a transplant so people are pretty open to newcomers, it seems.

Hope this helps!

PS - Bend winters last a LONG time. 6 months or so. Make sure you really like winter sports or these months will weight on you for sure. The upside is that we ski through the end of May while being able to come back into town to rock climb, mountain bike, trail run or golf in the same day with temperatures in the 50-70. You can practically count on one hand the towns that's possible in. Also, this year we had a record snow fall on the mountain (the upper 600inches) and Mt. Bachelor opened over the long 4th of July weekend. Ski in the morning and sunbath in 80 degree warmth in town after.....

Last edited by kapetrich; 07-13-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Pilot Butte is small, really just one trail up and down, unless you count the road, which the park does. However, there are plenty of other hikes close to town, so it's not a big deal. We moved to Bend 3 years ago from Colorado, where I was born and raised. We like Bend and what it has to offer, but we don't see ourselves staying here long term due in part to the isolation. It's just too difficult and expensive for us to get out of here and visit family in Colorado and Pennsylvania. The price of tickets from the Redmond airport can be pretty high, especially around the holidays. However, factor in driving over to Portland, a hotel stay usually, and parking, and it's about the same price.

We also don't like the very short summers (although they are beautiful once they arrive). I'm an avid gardener, and the growing season here makes it almost impossible to garden without hoop houses, greenhouses, and other protective measures. If you like to grow your own food at all, the westside of town is really very difficult. We live in the same neighborhood with Bend's only successful community garden and it's no accident where it was placed. Just something to consider if you or your girlfriend like to grow your own food.

Kapetrich is right about biking in Bend too. My husband is one of those guys that bikes year round so it doesn't bother him. I'm more of a fair weather biker. I find it difficult to jump on my bike to go downtown when the weather isn't nice. Of course, if we lived right in the heart of town, that probably wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Bend actually has a fairly active music scene. My hubby is a musician and he's been impressed by the acts that roll through town, even in the winter. Now it's not nearly the scene of Asheville, but for a town this size, it's good. However, if you play, breaking into the scene is a bit tougher. It's a little cliquey, but I guess that's to be expected.
Great information. I'm a coffee shop musician so I'd probably be ok in that type of atmosphere. My gf does enjoy keeping flowers and herbs but we have yet to delve into groing our own food. I have heard from many sources as well that it is tough to garden..and that is definitely something to take into consideration.

The toughest thing for me will be the airport situation, as all of my family live in nc and some in san fran. I'm near charlotte, nc now and having a major hub 15 minutes away ain't too shabby!

The important thing for us is the recreation. I dont mind working a 9-5 desk job if the city facilitates me getting outside! And after living in vermont, the winter doesnt scare me one bit haha

Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
We sound similar. Semi-obsessing and over researching...ha. It did me well, so good luck, this site is an amazing tool!

Asheville was in my top 5. I had never been and made a trip the summer before I settled on Bend. This thread Asheville is discussed along with other "mountain towns": Best Kinda sunny, kinda liberal mountain town?

IMO, Asheville will have less outdoor opportunities since there isn't really a winter there. I'd imagine Burlington has more variety in that area. Also, you have to deal with the humidity. It's oppressive.

That said, Asheville will offer a more vibrant downtown with more culture and social scene's than both Burlington and Bend, if that is something you're looking for. Burlington is tiny and dominated by the University and Bend is still a new town growing into its own (which I love - it's not yet fully established and you can still have an impact)

I'll stop blabbering because this is more suited for a PM conversation. PM me and I can go into MUCH greater detail.

As for your concerns:

airport proximity and price - The Redmond airport is what we use in Bend. It is 20mins drive. Not bad at all. Major connections from Redmond are Denver, SLC, Portland, Seattle and SF. Unless traveling to these destinations, plan on having a connection flight though them. To give you some perspective, when I book my flights back east to Baltimore I can find a round trip ticket out of Redmond for $500-$600 with a connection in SLC or Denver. Not bad, imo.

night life & live music - I didn't move here for the nightlife. Most people don't. On weekdays bars close early, weekends 2am. We have something like 12 breweries and counting and there are festivals and music downtown every weekend in the summer with a couple other festivals in the winter months. We have a few music venues that offer a decent selection (electronic, indie (Def Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, Flaming Lips, etc.), hip-hop (Talib Kweli and the like), funk (we have a funk festival at the end of this month), etc.....) There is actually an amazing amount of culture for a town of it's size.

isolation in the winter(do i need a big city though?) - A drive to Portland is 3.5 hours and Seattle 5.5 hrs. I've lived here for about a year now. I grew up in Baltimore and am VERY used to jumping in my car or a bus to go to DC, Philly and NYC on whim for the weekend. I haven't felt very isolated yet. The biggest difference for me is how little people out here keep up with political news and how distant you truly feel from politics and finance being 3 hours behind. The internet gets me through any fret of isolation, though. 20 years ago I think I'd be singing a different tune.

social life, meeting new folks - In Bend you tend to meet people based on the outdoor activity you are interested in. Many conversations revolve around this aspect. I'm 26 and moved here with 2 roommates and haven't had a problem meeting new people either on the slopes, trails or at work.

Hope this helps!
Sounds like im speaking with the right people! I'm 25! I can only hope that the summers in bend are as amazing as the summers in burlington. It seemed like something awesome was happening downtown every other week...and being able to visit a bar on my bike and drunkenly bike home was truly a hilarious blessing. Asheville has a lot of sides to the city that i wouldnt want to be involved with..which is why bend seems like such a great option (aside from driving across the nation to move there).

Also, asheville is the mecca for southeast trad climbing, but the lady and I cant quite afford the active gear needed for that and we'd really benefit from the climbing opportunities in bend. I'm actually in the finance industry and would probably move to a bank out there!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Sounds like im speaking with the right people! I'm 25! I can only hope that the summers in bend are as amazing as the summers in burlington. It seemed like something awesome was happening downtown every other week...and being able to visit a bar on my bike and drunkenly bike home was truly a hilarious blessing. Asheville has a lot of sides to the city that i wouldnt want to be involved with..which is why bend seems like such a great option (aside from driving across the nation to move there).

Also, asheville is the mecca for southeast trad climbing, but the lady and I cant quite afford the active gear needed for that and we'd really benefit from the climbing opportunities in bend. I'm actually in the finance industry and would probably move to a bank out there!

The summers in Central Oregon are nicer than VT. No joke. No humidity and no rain, ever. Nights cool down so much that the idea of AC is almost laughable. Also, I'd never known what a truly cloudless day was until I moved here. It's UNREAL.

If you're a coffee shop musician you'll be right at home here. We have just as many, if not more, locally run coffee shop roasters (they make all their own beans - PNW is a huge coffee mecca) as breweries. Many offer open mic nights.

Just from this short back and forth, I'd definitely suggest the west side of town. You'll have walking access to very good restaurants, downtown, local coffee roasters, local bakeries, local produce shops, local groceries, local bagels shops, etc. It's pretty special. I can honestly say that I have more amenities on my block here in Bend than I did in DOWNTOWN Baltimore city. Also, I haven't been to a chain store/restaurant since the first week I moved and that was out of pure necessity with furnishing my home and the ease of buying everything to start life in one place. So we have em', but life is easy on the westside without em', if that's your kinda thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend