Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 AM

4 posts, read 42,817 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! Sorry, native Oregonians, yet another damned Californian is ready to invade! But I promise, I want to blend and really be an Oregonian, NOT be a **** and bring Cali to you! So..my friend told about Bend and the surrounding area, from what I've seen from pictures, it is stunning up there! Is La Pine the home of meth addicts, as I've read here in past articles? Is there work in La Pine? Bend? Where is there to buy an acre or so with a 3 bed 2 bath house (not manufactured) that is far enough away from the city that I can shoot in my backyard but not hours away from the city, and that has La Pine mild weather in summer? So many questions! Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Until about ten years ago, La Pine was pretty much a bump in the road. It's grown drastically due to overflow from Bend's population. Any small town in Oregon is going to be "home to meth addicts," due to economic conditions and the lack of jobs. But I'd say that illegal Marijuana grows and use would be the bigger problem then meth.

One acre properties are hard to come by in Oregon in general due to land use laws. But there are five and ten acre plots all around Bend/La Pine. The problem is that your ten acres is going to back on someone else's ten acres - shooting in your backyard isn't really a good idea. But there are National Forests on both sides, and as long as you're safe and pick up your brass and trash, you'll be OK.

La Pine is at 4235 feet, Bend is 3625. This does make La Pine milder in the summer, but worse in the winter. As such there is a huge campground in La Pine that is constantly full of RVs, and a lot of tourists traveling along 97. In the Winter, there are still a lot of tourists but the addition of snow makes it a somewhat treacherous drive.

The other big issue to worry about is deer and elk through there will dodge across the roads making conditions even worse. I've nearly gotten in a wreck there myself due to a deer, and have had a family member die in an accident due to another deer darting across the road.

On the good side, it is a gorgeous area. The smell of Ponderosa and Lodgepole pines is wonderful, especially first thing in the morning when the dew is still on the trees. There are plenty of recreational activities to engage in.

Job wise, La Pine is going to be mostly service jobs - waitress, gas station, grocery stores. You'll need to go into Bend for anything else.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
Jobs are very scarce in Bend and even scarcer in LaPine. I know people who live in LaPine and commute to Bend - it can be a long, unsafe drive in winter conditions. You can find acreage with homes without a problem - depends on how much money you have to spend, but your greater challenge will be finding a job

Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks! That helps! What I'd really like to do is have a small place close to Bend but that at least, say, a quarter mile from my next neighbor (no, won't be cooking or growing!) because I want to microfarm complete with chickens and a few beehives. I could live without the shooting in the backyard, it would just be fun! Any suggestions as to where it is a little more rural yet close to the beautiful pines and pondeBullBoxer31? Oh, and as for work, I think I'll only need to work 3 days a week. I wouldn't mind a gas station job but would prefer a nice dental technician job, lol! I'm planning on moving there in two weeks with a little inheritance money and a prayer. Will it really take that long to find work? Sorry about all the questions but you know how it is! Thanks again. BTW, yeah, meth is inescapable these days but I can't stand dope fiends, whatever their poison! Oh well...

Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM

223 posts, read 268,318 times
Depending on how much money you have, you might look at some plots in between Bend and Sisters. La Pine is a solid 45 minutes from Bend, and can take much longer in winter. Hwy 97 between Bend and La Pine is a deadly stretch of road, and with Sunriver on the way, it's also busy as hell. La Pine also got devastated as bad as anywhere in Oregon by the economy. Businesses closed by the dozen. Yes, there are an inordinate amount of meth addicts there, and probably some other skeezy types. In winter there will be snow on the ground for 6 months, straight.

but La Pine is cheaper. For a reason.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks for that, OreNative78! I was just looking at that area, in fact. I really don't want a deadly commute, I have one here already! La Pine looks pretty, but the less "skeez" the better. My goal is to be off-the-grid and self-sufficient within a couple years, so the more rural, the better, I guess. I think I can find some kind of "menial" work (NO honest work is menial) so owning outright should keep my expenses down. Is it pretty nice between Sisters and Bend, scenery, weather, etc.? Thx again!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM

223 posts, read 268,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatecali4ever View Post
Thanks for that, OreNative78! I was just looking at that area, in fact. I really don't want a deadly commute, I have one here already! La Pine looks pretty, but the less "skeez" the better. My goal is to be off-the-grid and self-sufficient within a couple years, so the more rural, the better, I guess. I think I can find some kind of "menial" work (NO honest work is menial) so owning outright should keep my expenses down. Is it pretty nice between Sisters and Bend, scenery, weather, etc.? Thx again!
It's beautiful, especially the closer you get to Sisters. Great views of the Cascades (Three Sisters, Bachelor, Broken Top, Jefferson). Not cheap, tho.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
If you look at a map of Central Oregon, you will see Sisters and Tumalo to the NW of Bend and to the SW of Bend is Sunriver. Cancel all of that area out if you can't afford $500,000 plus and want to find inexpensive land/places to live. If you do find something in that area, consider yourself very lucky! You might want to look just east of Bend. You won't be surrounded by pondeBullBoxer31 because there aren't many out there (they grow closer to the mountains), but you can have gorgeous views of the Cascades, warmer and drier winter weather (nad longer growing season) and less expensive land and still only be a short drive to Bend. As examples, there are two short sales I came across one on Powell Butte Highway 11 1/2 acres 3 bdrm house for $350k and one on Pioneer Loop just east of Bend 4.44 acres 3 bd 2 1/2 bath for $250k. Since you'll be here in a couple of weeks, I'd suggest finding a realtor.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Bend/LaPine area isn't the best for gardening/farming. The growing season is very short. You'll notice that most of the farming activity in the immediate area is Horses and Cattle. If you go north of Bend closer to Madras there is wheat, potatoes, mint, etc. But the only problem is that you're then out of the trees.

Either way expect to need to heavily amend the soil, along with heavy watering, and be prepared to pick large basalt and pumice rocks out of the ground.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:13 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
I'm glad to see hamellr address the farming/gardening issue. Bend, Sisters, and much of Central Oregon is difficult to garden due to the cool summer night time temperatures. If you plan to have a productive garden you will definitely need to invest in greenhouses, hoophouses, and other protective structures as we can get a frost nearly any month of the year. It's something to seriously consider if you plan to sustain yourself with the fruits of your labor. The eastern side of Bend is better for gardening than the west side, but that's relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend