Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 AM

29 posts, read 104,846 times

Advertisements

Family and I want to move to Oregon badly but not sure where. We have been to Brookings and really like it there but hubby's a firefighter so where thinking the Prineville, Redmond area would be better for his career. So what is Redmond like? What types of stores (grocery,clothing, etc...) We like small towns but would love to have everything we need (which isn't much) in the same area. Is everything pretty easy to get to driving wise? Are there things for the kids to do (sports, dance,etc..) How are the winters? Any info would be great! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 01:50 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,471 times
Since your question about Prineville seems to have lapsed into a discussion of the upper management skills of Les Schwab Tires, I'll try to answer some of your questions about Redmond and Prineville here. Redmond is larger than Prineville and is closer to Bend. It has more shopping opportunities than Prineville but Bend is really where you'll find the most varied shopping and larger stores. Prineville has really suffered economically especially when its largest employer, Les Schwab, relocated its headquarters to Bend. Redmond is more stable though all of Central Oregon is in a funk. Redmond has a large T-Mobile customer support center that often is hiring. If AT&T takes over T-Mobile as it is trying to do,it says it won't close down T-Mobile support locations but I wouldn't hold my breath. Otherwise, employment opporunities are not very good. Firemen probably would not have much chance finding a job in this ecomony though seasonal firefighters for wildfires are often hired for summer work.

Both Prineville and Redmond are family-oriented and there is a lot to do outdoors with families all over Central Oregon. Your biggest problem will be jobs.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Bendite,
Thank you so much for answering me! Yes, my original post about Prineville was turned into an arguement that had nothing to do with my questions, bummer! I appreciate your response though I was starting to wonder if anybody new anything about Redmond, ha ha. I should have clarified, my fiance is a seasonal wildland firefighter so that good news! I have tons of customer service experience in both waitressing and as a grocery store clerk. Do you think I would have a chance in either town. I currently live in a very small town where the nearest shopping is an hour and a half away so I think I could handle either Prineville or Redmond. I think Prineville is more like my current location but can you give me a feel for Redmond? Is it all streets an traffic lights or is it more small town back streets? Is everything pretty east to get too? (Schools, shopping, etc...) I dont like to drive very much so accessibilty is very important to me! Any specifics you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM

I think you'd have a better chance for a job in Redmond than Prineville. There are both more retail stores and restaurants than in Prineville. A few years ago, they relocated the highway (Hwy97) around Redmond where before it used to run straight through the middle of town. Now, there are efforts to get downtown businesses more action since the traffic was re-routed. Prineville still has a highway as its main street. Redmond has a population of just over 18,000 to Prineville's approximate 7,300. Redmond schools are overall better rated than Prineville's. You'll find cheaper housing in Prineville but there's inexpensive housing in Redmond too. Prineville is more rural in feel, and more conservative. There's a very small town north of Redmond called Terrebonne that may give you that tiny town feel while you work a few miles away.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley3b View Post
Is it all streets an traffic lights or is it more small town back streets? Is everything pretty east to get too? (Schools, shopping, etc...) I dont like to drive very much so accessibilty is very important to me! Any specifics you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again!
Sometimes I forget all the questions when I answer the first time. Redmond has a split mainstreet (i.e., a one way street running n/s and another street running one way the other direction) that used to be Highway 97. There are traffic lights at a couple of corners there. There is also a large road that runs west from town past the high school that is busy and has lots of stores and restaurants and some traffic lights. Otherwise, the residential areas that I am familiar with are small town type streets and have stop signs. It is safe and walkable. I don't think there is any public transportation. I am really not that familiar with Prineville but I suspect that once you are off the highway/mainstreet, it is all small streets.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Bendite,
Your awesome! I really like to get the feel for a place before I visit it in person and you have helped me and then some with that! Thanks you for being so specific too! We are planning a trip to the Redmond/Prineville area in the next couple of weekends and I'll let you know what we think but from what your telling me it sounds like the kind of place we're looking for! Thank you again Bendite!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 PM

54 posts, read 293,792 times
hayley3b,
I agree with Bendite concerning his Redmond/Prineville comparison. I think your opportunities would be better in Redmond and, though larger than Prineville, it still has a small town feel . There are considerably more shopping and services in Redmond. And of course, Bend is only about a 15 mile drive down the highway from Redmond, with even much more shopping and services if the need should arise.
Good luck on your search,
minorbrew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend