Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times

Advertisements

Homeless with internet access. Our world has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 06:29 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,508 times
Bend has one of those new fangled libraries with computers.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:34 AM

740 posts, read 1,249,608 times
One of the status boxes on the survey I received with my Redmond water bill was "Homeless" (after others like Renter and Homeowner). How and why would I get a water bill from the city if I were homeless?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
One of the status boxes on the survey I received with my Redmond water bill was "Homeless" (after others like Renter and Homeowner). How and why would I get a water bill from the city if I were homeless?

Ya got to love local government.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Bend has one of those new fangled libraries with computers.
I'll bet you fifty cents that was not the source of the post.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:37 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,227 times
Sad state of affairs in general with the homeless. Not trolling but the homeless situation is dire across the country, it's not
localized to one particular part of the country.

For such a rich nation we can't help these people? And i get it, some will always want to be homeless, but many would take a
warm bed and treatment for any addiction and such..it's too bad that the gov. closed those doors many years ago with closing of mental health facilities...

It's sad...and as someone who sees it daily and gives a crap, it's disturbing. You can look down a block and see millions being
spent on the rehab of a privately funded museum, and look the other way and see human beings starving in the freezing cold weather...

The irony of it all..

Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post

For such a rich nation we can't help these people?
It's simple, no one wants to pay for it.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:36 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lootmeister View Post
So I searched online and it said Bend has one of the biggest homeless populations (per capita) in the nation..........

You have to understand that there is money given for the homeless population. The government has a very creative way of counting the homeless. The people who deal with the homeless in Bend are very organized about getting them counted. The more they can find, the more government money they will receive.

According to the government's own definition, I am homeless. Believe me, I am not sleeping out on the streets. My stepson, who owns a $350,000 house, counts as homeless in Bend. Well, he and I probably count as homeless nationwide, since it is a federal survey.

By the government's definition, anyone who is living with a relative is homeless. I'm sorry, but if you have family that takes you in and gives you shelter, you are not homeless. But the government counts you as homeless.

The counts are very organized in Bend and there are many ads run promising to give you free food, free bedding, and free clothing if you will come in and get yourself counted as homeless. So, who can tell how many people with houses are counted as homeless but are just there to take $30 worth of free food and free jackets for all their family, plus a free hot lunch and free pet food. Nobody ever checks to see if they are really homeless.

I volunteer at the food bank. You'll hear how huge numbers of poverty stricken people rely on the food bank, but I can tell you, that most are just there for free food that they don't really need. The senior citizens really do need the help, but many of the clients own horses and BMW motorcycles and talk about their plane tickets to New York. There are no wheezy old rattle trap cars in the parking lot on food bank day. All the cars are newer and some of them cost a nice big packet of money.

I'm not saying that there are not people who need help, but if you are basing your beliefs about the homeless on the government figures, you are being deceived.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:42 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,317,667 times
There seems to be a statewide problem involving healthy, able-bodied people in their 20's who don't mind sitting on their asses and holding their black-fingernailed hands out.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:36 PM

After I was downsized in 2000 I decided it was time to retire. I spent a couple of years before returning to collage traveling around in my motor home. At one point in time I rented a lot on Amazon Creek in Eugene at 16th and Polk for three years. I had a shop and a place for my Guns Reloading, Amateur Radio and Stored Possessions, all surrounded by an eight foot tall fence and a fort like gate, but I lived in the Motorhome. Imagine my surprise to find out I was homeless when they did the local count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend