U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM

14 posts, read 52,075 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Bend in the spring. We came in the summer and liked it allot. The rentals in the outlying areas being about half the price we pay here helped us decide. Does anyone know about good gym or fitness clubs in the area, also affordable karate/dance/gymnastic classes for small children? Are the schools in Bend/Redmond good? What about the night life clubs and such? Also after I am settled I plan on looking for a job at a nursing home, any ideas on what ones are good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 02:55 PM

480 posts, read 2,297,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayleen36 View Post
I am moving to Bend in the spring. We came in the summer and liked it allot. The rentals in the outlying areas being about half the price we pay here helped us decide. Does anyone know about good gym or fitness clubs in the area, also affordable karate/dance/gymnastic classes for small children? Are the schools in Bend/Redmond good? What about the night life clubs and such? Also after I am settled I plan on looking for a job at a nursing home, any ideas on what ones are good.
Rentals are still a bargain but rental fees will continue going upward the longer the housing crisis continues. There are several fitness clubs in Bend - you'll need to shop around to find the one that works best for you. That being said, Bend Parks & Recreation has wonderful fitness programs that are very reasonably priced for residents (including kids) so you should check then out before buying a membership somewhere. There are also private classes for kids in various studios. Bend and Redmond have different school systems, with Bend overall superior to Redmond. West side Bend's schools generally perform better than east side Bend schools. Someone else will need to address nightlife - there is some but this is a small town - don't expect big city nightlife here. There is one nursing home in Bend, called Harmony House. It's going to build a new facility some time in the next year or two. Right now they are in an old building but the management is great as is the nursing staff (I have volunteered there). There are several assisted living and alzheimer care facilities in Bend, most of them on the east side of town close to the medical facilities. The nicest and most expensive is Touchmark at Mt. Bachelor (SW Bend). There are also some companies that provide in-home nursing care. If you are a CNA, the wages will be low.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,306,286 times
If your success in Bend will depend upon your getting a job at an assisted care or nursing home, I suggest you contact them before you move to determine if they have any openings. That way you will have an idea of whether or not anything is available.

Here's a website that may help.

Nursing homes in Bend, OR - Free Ratings & Reports

Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 67,704 times
I hear from a lot of people that move here before they find work and realize that it is harder to land that job than they think. I would suggest securing a job before you move. I am one of the lucky ones that found a job before I moved into the area but i have heard the saying that bend is "broke with a view" before.

Night life is nothing like a bigger metro, but I found it to be pretty decent. What is your definition of 'night life'?? Bend is a small/medium size town that is pretty isolated to bigger metro areas such as Portland, Boise and Seattle, but you still have plenty of cultural, dining, and alcohol options. The independent music scene here is picking up steam and is pretty known. Between the breweries, restaurants, music and a handful of events…bend has its own identity of nightlife.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
West side Bend's schools generally perform better than east side Bend schools.
Hard to believe this opinion since the "East Side" High School, Mountain View High School is ranked as one of the top 5 High Schools in the entire state (including private schools).

Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM

55 posts, read 159,111 times
Jayleen,

Those are all good questions when it comes to moving to a new community. In terms of gyms in Bend, the largest and most popular is probably the Athletic Club of Bend (ACB). They offer just about everything and cater to families pretty well I think. Where are you planning on living? That may help you decide, because most members are on the westside (where ACB is). They do offer karate classes, but not sure about dance. I'm sure there are dance-focused organizations you can find. Schools are comparable to the national average - overcrowded and underfunded. There is a private elementary and middle school, but no private high school. If you are looking for the best education, Summit High School, located on the westside, is your best bet. Nice facilities that attract the best teachers in the area. Hope this helps!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 AM

69 posts, read 169,629 times
Default Bend And Tellecommuters ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacompton253 View Post
I hear from a lot of people that move here before they find work and realize that it is harder to land that job than they think. I would suggest securing a job before you move. I am one of the lucky ones that found a job before I moved into the area but i have heard the saying that bend is "broke with a view" before.
Very interesting although I am very sorry to hear this and sympathetic, since I am also hearing this from Bend's competitors. Did you know that Bend's twin city - Flagstaff, Arizona - their nicknames are "Poverty with a View," and "Ghetto in the Meadow?" Both cities are almost identical in terms of the terrain, scenery, isolation, and vegetation although Bend WAS once more pro-growth than Flagstaff until recent years.

In terms of jobs, what's the Tellecommuting situation in Bend? How many people tellecommute to larger cities such as Denver, Salt Lake, and San Francisco? Who is your Internet provider? Tellecomunications is the future, and I believe will be the solution as highly educated people EXIT the overcrowded metros.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 PM

758 posts, read 2,179,860 times
Telecommute the grocery store and gas station over to your house. Zipcar won't work in Bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend