U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 47,849 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We (myself, my husband and my 2 kids ages 1 and 3 ) are currently interviewing for a position in Bend, Or and we live in State College, PA. We vacation often out West and love the 'vibe' that we feel when we touch down. Understanding that any move is stressful and that the feeling one gets while on vacation is different from when interviewing for a place to reside. We fell in love with Bend, but as with any move, expecially cross country, we have a lot of questions and I was hoping you could help me with a few.

1. Why Bend? It seems great and everyone loves it. But I would truly enjoy hearing about all experienced while visiting, living in, or traveling to Bend, Oregon.

2. Best School Districts? We like the NOrthwest crossing neighborhood, but are there any other neighborhoods have this feel? Are there neighborhoods we should check out or stay away from?

3. Family activities. We are an outdoor loving family. Are there organized events or is it all what you make it. Both are enticing, but I just want to be sure not to miss out on anything if this opportunity comes to fruition. Anything cool happening from 1/18-1/21/2012 (we will be interviewing then)

4. If any of you are familiar with State College PA and Bend OR, could you compare and contrast what you may now? It would be interesting to see the points that we have not examined.

5. Any cross country move information? What to look for in a moving co.? What services are available? Any reputable companies? I know there is a ton of stuff I dont know on this subject so any advice would be well taken as our longest move was an hour away from new to old home.

Many many thanks for your help and input... and any points of interest that I may be missing - please feel free to provide input if it seems to be fitting!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM

480 posts, read 2,305,108 times
Lots of questions -

We moved to Bend seven years ago for a number of reasons, in no particular order: I'm an Oregon native and wanted to move back; Bend has excellent health care available; lots to do recreationally; some really good dining options; lots of friendly people.

NWX is known nation-wide as one of the best planned developments. I have heard people that live there say that some of the houses are too close to each other and you can talk to your neighbor easily through your kitchen window. Of course there are a number of great neighborhoods, each with their own feel. Mine for example, is very oriented to green building and natural environments (we are not permitted to have non-native grass lawns for example). Maybe you need to drive around a bit but if you like NWX, then you might find the west side of town more to your liking and keep your seach on the west side. There is only one school district - Bend-LaPine. East side schools do not in general perform as well academically as west side schools but there are also some really good east side schools, so you have to look at the entire package.

There is almost always something happening here. On Jan 20th there is a special cosmic (ice) skate at 7th Mountain Resort and Visit Bend is having a walking tour of downtown Bend (reservations in advance on Visit Bend's website). On the 21st, there is a snowshoe walk at Mt Bachelor as a breast cancer fundraiser. Peter Yarrow (of Peter Paul & Mary) will be performing that night at the Tower theater downtown. ALmost every day, you can go to the High Desert Museum and our local candy maker, Goodies, does chocolate factory tours. You can find many organized falily events year round or stick to yourself. Bend Parks & Rec has all sorts of family-oriented activities.

Which moving companies may be based upon which ones actually come to Bend. I've never used one.

Good luck with the interview(s)

Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 PM

10,738 posts, read 18,212,227 times
It is expensive to move furniture across the country. If you decide to make the move shed (sell, donate) replaceable items. Keep your grandmother's treasures, fine china and silver. Frankly I would use services such as POD, moving with kids in a U-Haul that distance is nuts (IMHO). Assuming you will use 2 PODS stow things your family will need ASAP in one (toddler toys & beds, the little things you won't find in a furnished apartment) and the rest in the other. You will be moving in the dead of winter across the Rockies, let the professionals take care of stuff while you focus on your real family treasures... your children.

With your personal goods in a containers you can take your time finding a home that meets your needs. You can unload the critical POD to settle the children where you land leaving the balance for the time you are ready.

Best of luck with the interview, many envy your opportunity.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,951,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Jenn View Post
1. Why Bend? It seems great and everyone loves it. But I would truly enjoy hearing about all experienced while visiting, living in, or traveling to Bend, Oregon.
I moved here 1 year, 2 months ago from Baltimore, MD and absolutely love it. The scenery, the outdoor activities, the town, the weather, etc. For me, it has lived up to the hype.

I've talked a LOT about why I've moved here and why I love it so I'll let you search my name if you're interested.

For fun, here is a short list of reasons I made the move in the first place (from an earlier post):
Bend is:

-A medium size town with enough culture to satisfy my lifestyle.
-An amazing outdoor city with both summer & winter sports EVERYWHERE (the latter I have never experienced and am extremely excited for)
-One of the most beautiful and diverse ecosystems I've visited
-Regarded as having some of the best weather in the country. 300 days of sunshine (although, I've come to find out, after much research, that this is completely blown out of proportion - more like 230-250).
-A huge growth area, anyway you look at it. The area is projected to grow at a much slower pace for the next 15 years (which is extremely good in contrast to the unsustainable growth of the last 20years).
-A city that I will grow into, with my ascending age, and with, as the city is such a hot spot. I find it very intriguing to be part of a growth city, very unlike where I am from now (Baltimore, MD)
-Extremely safe (compared to what I am used to - this is very relative as discussed in other threads)
-An amazing investment opportunity as house prices have been cut in half since the bubble burst

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Quote:
2. Best School Districts? We like the NOrthwest crossing neighborhood, but are there any other neighborhoods have this feel? Are there neighborhoods we should check out or stay away from?
I don't have any children so won't comment here, but if you're looking for a Northwest crossing's feel (Multi-use development, businesses within the development, etc.), I'd check out the entire River West Neighborhood on the west side.

Essentially, the east and west portions of town are fairly different and great locations for different people. The west side is more expense, doesn't have views of the mountains (unless you're paying through the nose), has better bike path access, closer to the outdoors, has more green, has a shorter growing season, smaller lots, has tons of local coffee shops, local produce stores, local breweries, local everything and, most of the time, has better access to downtown.

The east side has better views, is cheaper, has less mixed development, has better views, in browner, has more box stores, has larger lots, has a longer growing season, has better access to highways, has more strip housing, is newer, etc.

Quote:
3. Family activities. We are an outdoor loving family. Are there organized events or is it all what you make it. Both are enticing, but I just want to be sure not to miss out on anything if this opportunity comes to fruition. Anything cool happening from 1/18-1/21/2012 (we will be interviewing then)
Tons of organized and non organized events. In the summer, there's a festival or two on the weekends and always 2-3 races (road bike, mountain bike, running, etc.) in town. Not even just your standard run of the mill races, but nationals and the like.

Every season there is a festival downtown (they're fun at first, but then you start to realize they're all pretty similar) and an art walk first Fridays of every month. We also have a pretty lively music scene here for a town of 75k with most local breweries (12 and counting) hosting music most weekends along with the local coffee shops on the regular.

Good websites/blogs:
Hack Bend: Getting the most out of Bend, Oregon.
Bend Oregon Restaurants, Events, Movie Theater Times, Concerts
Cheap Restaurants , Cheap Food, Where to eat, when to eat « Cheap Eats Bend Oregon

Ask a bit closer to your trip and some of us locals can point you in the right direction....that said, it should be a GREAT time to ski. The snow should be flying and the crowds will be minimal by then.

Quote:
4. If any of you are familiar with State College PA and Bend OR, could you compare and contrast what you may now? It would be interesting to see the points that we have not examined.
I am not familiar with State college, PA at all, but I am familiar with the east coast. Weather and culture, I think, are the biggest differences. I'll touch on weather only and link you to a cultural discussion at the end.

First, there doesn't seem to be ANY extreme weather here at all (unless you're in the mountains) and the weather is a bit more bi-polar than back east. When it is sunny here, it'll be sunny for WEEKS and/or months at a time. When it's cloudy (not rainy, we only get 12 inches of precip a year) it'll be for a week or bit more at a time. It can be very strange.

Second, there's zero humidity compared to what you're used to, making the winter cold feel warmer (especially when the sun is out) and the summer heat feel much cooler. Invest in moisturizers.

Third, summers here are short, but every.single.day is PERFECT, cloudless and rainless. It is ridiculous. Better, even, than in Vermont and Maine's summers (figured you've been there, maybe)

Fourth, winters last a LOT longer. Winter temps can start as early as October and can last as late as May(not meant to scare you and it isn't even the norm, but it CAN be very cold and winter like still in either month). We can get snow in almost any month save for July/August (we get less than both MD/PA - the mountains get all the real snow), but even during those months it can frost at night (high desert summer temp fluctuation of 40 degrees/15-20 in the winter - no a/c needed!) albeit rare. If you don't like winter, I wouldn't move here. The upside, you can ski from Thanksgiving to May 31st and during these months you hardly have to shovel (we seem to get snow in 1-4 inch bursts leaving feet and half feet on the mountain)

Fifth, winter sun. You'll have a LOT more of it here than back east and you can actually USE the winter here (ski, xc ski, explore, etc.)

Culturally: Here's a good post highlighting the major differences between Oregon and the East coast (mostly cultural): //www.city-data.com/forum/orego...you-about.html

Quote:
5. Any cross country move information? What to look for in a moving co.? What services are available? Any reputable companies? I know there is a ton of stuff I dont know on this subject so any advice would be well taken as our longest move was an hour away from new to old home
I choose a cheap-o moving company where my roommates and I paid for space on a moving truck. I would not suggest this. These companies contract their work out to, essentially, anyone with a truck. It's a grab bag. Luckily, we got a decent driver, but still had some considerable headaces.

I'd take the advice of Nell Plotts and sell as much as possible and go with the moving pods if you can afford it for the exact reasons he/she gave. Traveling over the rockies in the winter is NO joke.

Quote:
Many many thanks for your help and input... and any points of interest that I may be missing - please feel free to provide input if it seems to be fitting!
If you get the job do yourself the favor and please move here. The major deterrent for newcomers is the lack of jobs. If you can get over this hump, you will be in a very good position.

If you have any specific questions, just ask!

Last edited by kapetrich; 12-15-2011 at 11:58 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,912,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It is expensive to move furniture across the country. If you decide to make the move shed (sell, donate) replaceable items. Keep your grandmother's treasures, fine china and silver. Frankly I would use services such as POD, moving with kids in a U-Haul that distance is nuts (IMHO). Assuming you will use 2 PODS stow things your family will need ASAP in one (toddler toys & beds, the little things you won't find in a furnished apartment) and the rest in the other. You will be moving in the dead of winter across the Rockies, let the professionals take care of stuff while you focus on your real family treasures... your children.

With your personal goods in a containers you can take your time finding a home that meets your needs. You can unload the critical POD to settle the children where you land leaving the balance for the time you are ready.

Best of luck with the interview, many envy your opportunity.
This is great advice, if PODs are available in Bend now. When I moved here 3.5 years ago, we went with a full service moving co. as PODs would not come to Bend. We spent a fortune moving all our stuff (we had just purchased furniture the year before our move and spent a lot of money on that) and it's too big for the home we ended up buying. I wish we would have just sold it all, taken a bit of a loss, and bought new. It wasn't worth it in the end.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:30 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,912,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I moved here 1 year, 2 months ago from Baltimore, MD and absolutely love it. The scenery, the outdoor activities, the town, the weather, etc. For me, it has lived up to the hype.

I've talked a LOT about why I've moved here and why I love it so I'll let you search my name if you're interested.

For fun, here is a short list of reasons I made the move in the first place (from an earlier post):
Bend is:

-A medium size town with enough culture to satisfy my lifestyle.
-An amazing outdoor city with both summer & winter sports EVERYWHERE (the latter I have never experienced and am extremely excited for)
-One of the most beautiful and diverse ecosystems I've visited
-Regarded as having some of the best weather in the country. 300 days of sunshine (although, I've come to find out, after much research, that this is completely blown out of proportion - more like 230-250).
-A huge growth area, anyway you look at it. The area is projected to grow at a much slower pace for the next 15 years (which is extremely good in contrast to the unsustainable growth of the last 20years).
-A city that I will grow into, with my ascending age, and with, as the city is such a hot spot. I find it very intriguing to be part of a growth city, very unlike where I am from now (Baltimore, MD)
-Extremely safe (compared to what I am used to - this is very relative as discussed in other threads)
-An amazing investment opportunity as house prices have been cut in half since the bubble burst

If you have any specific questions let me know.

I don't have any children so won't comment here, but if you're looking for a Northwest crossing's feel (Multi-use development, businesses within the development, etc.), I'd check out the entire River West Neighborhood on the west side.

Essentially, the east and west portions of town are fairly different and great locations for different people. The west side is more expense, doesn't have views of the mountains (unless you're paying through the nose), has better bike path access, closer to the outdoors, has more green, has a shorter growing season, smaller lots, has tons of local coffee shops, local produce stores, local breweries, local everything and, most of the time, has better access to downtown.

The east side has better views, is cheaper, has less mixed development, has better views, in browner, has more box stores, has larger lots, has a longer growing season, has better access to highways, has more strip housing, is newer, etc.

Tons of organized and non organized events. In the summer, there's a festival or two on the weekends and always 2-3 races (road bike, mountain bike, running, etc.) in town. Not even just your standard run of the mill races, but nationals and the like.

Every season there is a festival downtown (they're fun at first, but then you start to realize they're all pretty similar) and an art walk first Fridays of every month. We also have a pretty lively music scene here for a town of 75k with most local breweries (12 and counting) hosting music most weekends along with the local coffee shops on the regular.

Good websites/blogs:
Hack Bend: Getting the most out of Bend, Oregon.
Bend Oregon Restaurants, Events, Movie Theater Times, Concerts
Cheap Restaurants , Cheap Food, Where to eat, when to eat « Cheap Eats Bend Oregon

Ask a bit closer to your trip and some of us locals can point you in the right direction....that said, it should be a GREAT time to ski. The snow should be flying and the crowds will be minimal by then.

I am not familiar with State college, PA at all, but I am familiar with the east coast. Weather and culture, I think, are the biggest differences. I'll touch on weather only and link you to a cultural discussion at the end.

First, there doesn't seem to be ANY extreme weather here at all (unless you're in the mountains) and the weather is a bit more bi-polar than back east. When it is sunny here, it'll be sunny for WEEKS and/or months at a time. When it's cloudy (not rainy, we only get 12 inches of precip a year) it'll be for a week or bit more at a time. It can be very strange.

Second, there's zero humidity compared to what you're used to, making the winter cold feel warmer (especially when the sun is out) and the summer heat feel much cooler. Invest in moisturizers.

Third, summers here are short, but every.single.day is PERFECT, cloudless and rainless. It is ridiculous. Better, even, than in Vermont and Maine's summers (figured you've been there, maybe)

Fourth, winters last a LOT longer. Winter temps can start as early as October and can last as late as May(not meant to scare you and it isn't even the norm, but it CAN be very cold and winter like still in either month). We can get snow in almost any month save for July/August (we get less than both MD/PA - the mountains get all the real snow), but even during those months it can frost at night (high desert summer temp fluctuation of 40 degrees/15-20 in the winter - no a/c needed!) albeit rare. If you don't like winter, I wouldn't move here. The upside, you can ski from Thanksgiving to May 31st and during these months you hardly have to shovel (we seem to get snow in 1-4 inch bursts leaving feet and half feet on the mountain)

Fifth, winter sun. You'll have a LOT more of it here than back east and you can actually USE the winter here (ski, xc ski, explore, etc.)

Culturally: Here's a good post highlighting the major differences between Oregon and the East coast (mostly cultural): //www.city-data.com/forum/orego...you-about.html

I choose a cheap-o moving company where my roommates and I paid for space on a moving truck. I would not suggest this. These companies contract their work out to, essentially, anyone with a truck. It's a grab bag. Luckily, we got a decent driver, but still had some considerable headaces.

I'd take the advice of Nell Plotts and sell as much as possible and go with the moving pods if you can afford it for the exact reasons he/she gave. Traveling over the rockies in the winter is NO joke.

If you get the job do yourself the favor and please move here. The major deterrent for newcomers is the lack of jobs. If you can get over this hump, you will be in a very good position.

If you have any specific questions, just ask!
Kapetrich summed it up well! I don't know State College, PA but my husband grew up in Erie, PA and would never move back east because of the weather. He loves the weather out here. Bend is a great town for families. The hardest part is securing employment, so if you are offered a job, you are doing better than most people who currently live here (myself included).

Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 PM

480 posts, read 2,305,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
This is great advice, if PODs are available in Bend now. When I moved here 3.5 years ago, we went with a full service moving co. as PODs would not come to Bend. We spent a fortune moving all our stuff (we had just purchased furniture the year before our move and spent a lot of money on that) and it's too big for the home we ended up buying. I wish we would have just sold it all, taken a bit of a loss, and bought new. It wasn't worth it in the end.
I agree with Delta and Nell. We rented a POD in Denver to store our things during the time between selling our Denver home and moving here. PODS didn't come to Bend then so our son loaded a truck and drove our things here. Our big mistake was bringing most of our furniture - we had a Victorian in Denver and now live in an Arts & crafts-syle home. Over the past 7 years we've replaced everything because the styles and sizes just did not work

Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 47,849 times
Thank you so very much. Your words have inspired us and help us to make this difficult, yet seemingly obvious, decision. I will read the threads you referenced and continue to look for any ideas, thoughts or experiences you may like to share.

Many many thanks to you all and happy holidays!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM

3,453 posts, read 7,974,797 times
For some info on a cross country move, pop over to the general moving forum for some very good advice. Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 AM

10,738 posts, read 18,212,227 times
I see that there is no pod type service to Bend at the moment. One option for the OP would be to ship their things to Eugene and arrange for delivery at their new home in Bend, or unload it to a local truck, when the time is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend