Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Fast most of the time? Wait, you're telling us getting around Bend is more trafficked during the rush hours AND there's more cars on the road than there was 10 years ago?!
Dude are you working on a master's degree in sarcasm or what? What I wrote was right on the money.

BTW - I wasn't talking about rush hour - the times that the roads really get congested is during the cluster fluck that occurs on some roads that feed into Century for the drive up to Bachelor on pow days and holidays. And in town when the roads are covered in snow and ice.

Last edited by BendLocal; 03-06-2014 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 01:38 AM

6 posts, read 6,202 times
Came across this thread in a search to find out more about Bend's neighborhoods and surrounding 'suburbs'. Wondering if the 2014 tips are still on point and whether much has changed in the last couple years. Looks like there are quite a few 'new construction' homes currently on Zillow which tends to suggest expansion. Don't necessarily need to be in town proper and would be happy to be on the outskirts in easy commute distance.

Responses on commute time should probably be placed into perspective as currently where I live it can take 45 mins to travel 9 miles.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:40 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,527 times
Yep, Building like crazy. Still some options, just depends on what you want and how close you want to be.
I think it is pretty much impossible to begin without being here and getting the basic run of the land.
Then decisions can be made from afar. If you are looking for inexpensive, just bring your time machine.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:43 PM

[forgot to hit send on this note last week] jumping on a plane this weekend to get a sneak peek at winter in bend. >.< not sure what to think about the -6* forecast that was posted earlier today. definitely considering renting for the first few months to get a good lay of the land before committing to any one neighborhood. not surprised that bend is booming and prices continue to increase.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:10 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocs View Post
...... Wondering if the 2014 tips are still on point and whether much has changed in the last couple years.........
In the last couple of years, prices have gone up substantially.

The great big change, though, is that Bend just got approval to expand their urban growth boundary, so now Bend is going to be much bigger and there is much more land available for housing tracts, and a lot more land available for commercial and industrial.

Those changes have not started because the expansion has just been approved.

My prediction is that no one will take that newly available residential land and build low cost housing. New houses going in are very likely to be expensive houses, large, but large going upward because Bend is allowing very tiny building lots. Thus tall houses with a smaller footprint.

Houses closer together because Bend has reduced the setback distances, which were not generous to begin with.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:06 AM

740 posts, read 1,249,855 times
It looks like the cost of upgrading and expanding the sewer system is going to be a big burden on existing homeowners and new buyers. Those with septic systems may have to pay up to $90,000 to connect if they're close enough.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:59 PM

it's unfortunate to hear that bend might be planning to expand using smaller lots and setback distances. hopefully there are plans to vary the newer options so it's not just all that. our area had switched to packing things in at least a decade ago and it really impacts everything: visual congestion, traffic congestion, people congestion. just drove through st. gorge, utah last month and was BLOWN away by its expansion and how packed everything is starting to look there. bend is still a far cry from either though!

drove through quite a few neighborhoods a couple weekends ago. can't wait to return in spring and see how everything looks without snow cover to get a better idea of lot sizes, street widths, sidewalks. was really impressed with how clear all the roads were throughout the county although we chose to drive around instead of through the mountains from portland because of the winter storm watch.

any idea if there are plans to expand the redmond airport? and are roundabouts a thing in Oregon like not pumping your own gas? can totally get used to not jumping out of my car to pump gas; but, do the roundabouts help or hinder congestion during months where bend is hit hardest with tourists? they were definitely challenging with snow/ice conditions even going super slow.

by the ways... re-read the whole thread after our visit and it is truly packed with useful information. thanks to all that have provided their insights throughout the years!

Old 01-02-2017, 11:14 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
[forgot to hit send on this note last week] jumping on a plane this weekend to get a sneak peek at winter in bend. >.< not sure what to think about the -6* forecast that was posted earlier today. definitely considering renting for the first few months to get a good lay of the land before committing to any one neighborhood. not surprised that bend is booming and prices continue to increase.
Negative digits in the winter are not entirely uncommon. About 2 years ago, we had temperatures that went down to -26° one night, and stayed in the negatives for almost a week. This year, we've already had one spell of negatives, and about to get hit with another. So, it is something that will happen.

Quote:
it's unfortunate to hear that bend might be planning to expand using smaller lots and setback distances. hopefully there are plans to vary the newer options so it's not just all that. our area had switched to packing things in at least a decade ago and it really impacts everything: visual congestion, traffic congestion, people congestion. just drove through st. gorge, utah last month and was BLOWN away by its expansion and how packed everything is starting to look there. bend is still a far cry from either though!

drove through quite a few neighborhoods a couple weekends ago. can't wait to return in spring and see how everything looks without snow cover to get a better idea of lot sizes, street widths, sidewalks. was really impressed with how clear all the roads were throughout the county although we chose to drive around instead of through the mountains from portland because of the winter storm watch.

any idea if there are plans to expand the redmond airport? and are roundabouts a thing in Oregon like not pumping your own gas? can totally get used to not jumping out of my car to pump gas; but, do the roundabouts help or hinder congestion during months where bend is hit hardest with tourists? they were definitely challenging with snow/ice conditions even going super slow.

by the ways... re-read the whole thread after our visit and it is truly packed with useful information. thanks to all that have provided their insights throughout the years!
I love the round-a-bouts and feel like they do a much better job of moving traffic than a 4 way stop. They do get icy and snowpacked though, but pretty much all the roads around town are like that. There's a 2 way stop getting into my neighborhood that are downright treacherous right now because of the ice. I would much prefer a round-a-bout.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:41 PM

811 posts, read 1,060,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Negative digits in the winter are not entirely uncommon. About 2 years ago, we had temperatures that went down to -26° one night, and stayed in the negatives for almost a week. This year, we've already had one spell of negatives, and about to get hit with another. So, it is something that will happen.

I love the round-a-bouts and feel like they do a much better job of moving traffic than a 4 way stop. They do get icy and snowpacked though, but pretty much all the roads around town are like that. There's a 2 way stop getting into my neighborhood that are downright treacherous right now because of the ice. I would much prefer a round-a-bout.
I think I am starting to appreciate the advantages of a round about, even in icy weather, especially after watching a couple people approach a 4 way stop too fast on an icy day and slide on through. By pure luck they didn't hit anyone, and therefore can merrily go on their way figuring they could get away with the speed.

Do round abouts get slick with ice? Sure do. By their nature, people are pretty much forced to slow as they approach. I think there might be better odds of no harm to any/fewer drivers if they take it too fast and either slide into the center or slide off to the side. Of course, Bad odds are if you are in front of them as they approach too fast. The round abouts also make it pretty hard to ignore slick conditions, as compared to roaring down a straightaway into a standard intersection. Seems like most people would take it to heart after going squirrely in an icy round about, which will certainly test the traction conditions.

Just a theory.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:35 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,439 times
Round a bouts are more efficient as long as the traffic flow is equal. But hit one of the major intersections during rush hour when you are going against the flow and you may be wishing for a 4 way stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend