Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM

20 posts, read 100,696 times

Advertisements

Hello: My husband and I are retired and considering a move to Bend. We were just there and saw a home we really liked in the Mountain High gated community. My question is: Is that general area pretty safe? The gated community itself is beautiful but we weren't sure about the area around it. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
There are only a few areas in Bend that I would consider places to avoid in terms of places to live (I can't think of a part of Bend I wouldn't walk through any time of day and only a couple I woudn't walk in the middle of the night alone). Around Mountain High is not one of them. The area is very close to the Bend Country Club and there are a number of beautiful homes there. Could not be safer. For clarification, unlike places like Los Angeles that have gated communities for safety, gated communities in Bend are for show and a bit of uppitiness. There is little riff raff to keep out .

Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 PM

55 posts, read 180,246 times
I agree. Bend, for the most part, is a safe town (and recently rated one of the best ski towns). Mountain High is a great community and the neighborhood is fine. Enjoy! Retirement in Bend is great and I'm sure you can find great prices, too.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM

20 posts, read 100,696 times
Default Mountain High

Thank you both for your info on Mountain High. I very much appreciate it!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
"Gated" and "community" are contradictory terms.
With all that room, you never know when armed tweekers will walk through the gates at 2AM (Oregon law requires all gated "communities" to have pedestrian access, and tweekers are wide awake at 2AM). Just sayin'

Old 09-01-2012, 05:44 PM

66 posts, read 182,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
"Gated" and "community" are contradictory terms.
With all that room, you never know when armed tweekers will walk through the gates at 2AM (Oregon law requires all gated "communities" to have pedestrian access, and tweekers are wide awake at 2AM). Just sayin'
I'm a newcomer to this thread... a Seattleite just cruising online to see if there's anyplace better to retire than the suburbs of Seattle. I've been to Sunriver a few times in the early 90's when I was married to number 2 husband/father of my children.

I'm sure you have your share of meth houses in the outskirts of all the towns - current husband had a cabin near Cle Elum / Roslyn Washington and I could spot the potential crack houses around the area. (Not the development he was in...but within 2-5 miles away.)

But, I'm laughing at the comment above. What's the point of having a gated community if you can just walk right in? I guess you won't get snowmobilers... but the gated communities we have in Seattle are a bit more difficult (though not that difficult) to get into. Personally, I don't like gated communities, however... it made me laugh that I could walk right into one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend