Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM
pth

274 posts, read 458,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
Again, I can get on my mountain bike and in not more than a blink of an eye be in the Deschutes National forest on world class single track. I moved to Bend so I didn't have to drive to fantastic scenery and outdoor activities. FWIW, My business has thrived in Bend (note: not tied to local economy).

Today was a typical winter day. Forecast was for snow and mostly cloudy, yet the reality was a sunny day (very clear brilliant blue sky) until late afternoon when it clouded up for a few hours with some light snow then cleared again. I could see the Cascade mountains with some clouds near their peaks.
you guys hiring?

heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,543 times
How about current teaching jobs in Bend? I'm a high school teacher of language arts and special needs students. I am moving to Bend in June to be with family as I am now in Augusta, GA for last 15 yrs. I have a masters in education and 14 yrs. experience. I'm really nervous about teaching slots available. I don't have anything lined up in advance but am working on application and licensure in OR. now. I plan to be there middle of June. Can anyone give me guidance or input on this. Also, I have experience working with students and adults with Autism.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAdvicePlease View Post
How about current teaching jobs in Bend? I'm a high school teacher of language arts and special needs students. I am moving to Bend in June to be with family as I am now in Augusta, GA for last 15 yrs. I have a masters in education and 14 yrs. experience. I'm really nervous about teaching slots available. I don't have anything lined up in advance but am working on application and licensure in OR. now. I plan to be there middle of June. Can anyone give me guidance or input on this. Also, I have experience working with students and adults with Autism.
Hopefully your experience and credentials will give you a leg up because teaching in Bend (and all of Oregon) is pretty dismal. There are no jobs. Last year, the Bend La-Pine school district laid off about 22 high school teachers. Redmond, the district just to the north, laid off roughly the same. I'm not sure what the outlook is for next year, but it does sound like more layoffs are happening. Here's a recent article from the local paper: Bend-La Pine HS Teachers Face Layoffs - News Story - KTVZ Bend (http://www.ktvz.com/news/27510657/detail.html - broken link)

I only taught elementary school for a year in Colorado before relocating to Bend, but I haven't been able to find work (in teaching) in the almost 4 years I've been here. In fact, I managed to get on the sub call list, but only received a handful of calls in the past year. I've decided not to renew my license, because it's not worth it at this point. In order to even substitute in Bend, I have to maintain full licensure, which means I have to be working towards my masters. With no hope in sight, I just can't justify the expense. Good luck to you!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 60,145 times
It's much drier here than in Portland, but not much sunnier (compare the graphics for the two cities posted on this site) and a lot colder. Winters are gray and cold, and they drag on for at least six months (November through April) and sometimes seven or seven and a half. I find the climate -- especially the interminable winters -- very depressing.

If you like the amenities an urban area such as Portland offers, you won't find them here. Aside from the outdoor recreation, there just isn't much to do.

I don't know your financial situation, but unless you are independently wealthy you'd better have jobs lined up before you move here. The local economy is in the toilet and looks like it will stay there for the foreseeable future.

On the plus side, there is a great diversity of outdoor recreation in and close to Bend. So if that's the most important thing to you, and you're okay financially, Bend might be ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDreamer View Post
50" of annual rain for PDX compared to 11" of annual rain for Bend seems like a huge difference.

I spoke with a friend who has lived in Bend for six years who actually says that it really is very sunny down there. He says a lot, if not most mornings will start off sunny.
First, Portland's average annual rainfall is 37.5", not 50".

Second, don't make the mistake of equating "not raining" with "sunny." The clouds that bring rain to Portland continue on over the mountains to Bend. As I said, look at the charts on this site. Both Bend and Portland are far below the national average for sunshine almost all of the year.

Third, it's true that many days start off sunny -- and then they quickly get cloudy. I've lived here for 26 years and have seen this phenomenon countless times. I don't know what your friend is comparing Bend to when he says it's "very sunny," but it can't be to a really sunny place like California or the Southwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
Bend is sunny more often than not. The Cascades do a great job of blocking the moisture.
Chamber of Commerce propaganda to the contrary notwithstanding, it simply is not true that Bend "is sunny more often than not." Again, look at the data.

The Cascades block the moisture but not the clouds. Again, don't equate "not raining" with "sunny."

Quote:
Originally Posted by khunguni View Post
In fact, I have never before met anyone who would try to argue that Bend is as cloudy as Portland.

Bend is statistically and actually drier (approx. 11 inches to approx. 36 inches), sunnier (Portland may be as sunny in July-August, but outside that time period Bend is way better for seeing the actual sun).
Again, you're equating "not rainy" with "sunny." Nobody would deny that Bend is drier than Portland, but in terms of actual amounts of sunshine year-round, there is very little difference between the two cities. Look at the data, please.

Another thing: Why, when they're thinking about places to live, do so many Oregonians limit their choices to Oregon? There are many, many places in this country where one can enjoy outdoor recreation, and many of them have both a better climate and a healthier economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Maybe I was there during a bad year.. I have talked to other people who seem to tell me the cloudiness of Bend is not uncommon at all.
I've lived in Bend for 26 years. Cold, gray winters are the norm, not the exception. And they last at least six months.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-05-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamster View Post
Again, you're equating "not rainy" with "sunny." Nobody would deny that Bend is drier than Portland, but in terms of actual amounts of sunshine year-round, there is very little difference between the two cities. Look at the data, please.

Another thing: Why, when they're thinking about places to live, do so many Oregonians limit their choices to Oregon? There are many, many places in this country where one can enjoy outdoor recreation, and many of them have both a better climate and a healthier economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamster View Post
I've lived in Bend for 26 years. Cold, gray winters are the norm, not the exception. And they last at least six months.
Moderator cut: snip

thehamster, I do agree with you regarding the cloudy skies. I definitely think the data is more accurate that people want to admit. And, depending on your definition of winter, yeah, it can last much longer here than other parts of the country. But, by no means is it as harsh as many places that may have a shorter winter (think brutal Chicago with the wind chill and humidity, brrrr). I think that's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-05-2012 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: orphaned - responding to deleted post

Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Woa..does not sound good..I am still going to give Bend my best shot. This is where just about the last of my close family is. I can do something besides teach if need be. I'm not independently wealthy though. However, I am a SURViVOR!. I will make it one way or another. Determined is my middle name.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Woa..does not sound good..I am still going to give Bend my best shot. This is where just about the last of my close family is. I can do something besides teach if need be. I'm not independently wealthy though. However, I am a SURViVOR!. I will make it one way or another. Determined is my middle name.
Be prepared to bring about 6 month to a years worth of income with you because you will need it. There are jobs right now mostly in the service/retail industry paying minimum wage due to tourist season. They are seasonal. You could also work in daycare for minimum wage. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Wink Thanks for the honesty and encouragement.

There are numerous teaching jobs posted. I qualified for 10 and applied. Since there were so many open, that was encouraging. I have also noticed numerous private schools are also there. The job search continues. I'm pretty sure that I will find something. Since it's just me and my pups I don't need to make a fortune. I just want to be happy and with my family. Don't want to live in SC alone anymore.It really sounds like you don't want anyone to come to Bend as I read all your posts.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 PM

86 posts, read 266,380 times
Delta is just giving you fair warning, and if you're reading a lot of Delta's posts, you'll have also read many posts by other Bend residents saying the same thing: jobs here are lower paying than average, hard to find in professional fields, and have larger than average pools of competition.

This is all important stuff to know before committing to a move, and even though I'm sure you'll be able to find some sort of employment here, just be prepared for the worst and hopefully things will be way better than you thought. But if they do turn out to be true, then at least you'll be ready for it.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
There are numerous teaching jobs posted. I qualified for 10 and applied. Since there were so many open, that was encouraging. I have also noticed numerous private schools are also there. The job search continues. I'm pretty sure that I will find something. Since it's just me and my pups I don't need to make a fortune. I just want to be happy and with my family. Don't want to live in SC alone anymore.It really sounds like you don't want anyone to come to Bend as I read all your posts.
I have no problem with people coming to Bend. If you have read many of my other posts, you would see that. In fact, I may actually be leaving Bend, so I could care less who comes here or not. I'm just letting you know that it's not as easy as you may think it is. I thought I would have no problem finding work either, but that's not the case. Of course, I've all but given up trying to find a teaching job. Perhaps it will be better for you. I sincerely hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver13 View Post
Delta is just giving you fair warning, and if you're reading a lot of Delta's posts, you'll have also read many posts by other Bend residents saying the same thing: jobs here are lower paying than average, hard to find in professional fields, and have larger than average pools of competition.

This is all important stuff to know before committing to a move, and even though I'm sure you'll be able to find some sort of employment here, just be prepared for the worst and hopefully things will be way better than you thought. But if they do turn out to be true, then at least you'll be ready for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend