Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a visit back to PA and I have to say I'm glad I got a bit of summer while gone. It seems I missed some cruddy weather this past weekend, which is probably a good thing for me! I was freezing when I stepped off the plane last night to temps in the upper 30s, but I slept really well. I see the forecast is calling for the mid to upper 70s this week, which sounds fantastic! Sure hope Juneuary is over and summer is here for a few months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I just returned from a visit back to PA and I have to say I'm glad I got a bit of summer while gone. It seems I missed some cruddy weather this past weekend, which is probably a good thing for me! I was freezing when I stepped off the plane last night to temps in the upper 30s, but I slept really well. I see the forecast is calling for the mid to upper 70s this week, which sounds fantastic! Sure hope Juneuary is over and summer is here for a few months!
Yeah. I'd rather have a cool June* than any threat of this type of heat: Will Your City Hit 100 Degrees? - weather.com

*Highs mostly in the 60s/70s and cool nights, like we've had, is just about perfect for me tbh, though.

Last edited by kapetrich; 06-28-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Yeah. I'd rather have a cool June* than any threat of this type of heat: Will Your City Hit 100 Degrees? - weather.com

*Highs mostly in the 60s/70s and cool nights, like we've had, is just about perfect for me tbh, though.
Yeah, the 100° mark is just plain hot, even when there's not much humidity associated with it. I'm trying to stay positive about our cooler weather. I do know it will change....eventually, ha! Of course, as I type this, I'm sitting inside with wool socks on and a long sleeved shirt. Not exactly what most people think of wearing on the first day of July!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM

38 posts, read 107,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Yeah, the 100° mark is just plain hot, even when there's not much humidity associated with it.
I'll confirm the truth of that sentiment, delta. I currently live in Albuquerque, NM, where we've had 4 days in a row of 100+ temperatures. Even at only 8-11% humidity, it's just too hot for my taste. As such, I'm currently scouring the Oregon forums in search of a location that sounds like it will be a good fit for me.

Albuquerque is also high-desert (I reside a bit over 5,500 feet above sea level) and I moved here 2.5 years ago from the NJ/Pa. to escape harshly snowy winters. I had read that Albuquerque was 4-seasons and moderate but my time here has disproven the 'moderate' part. What we lack in humidity seems to be compensated for by a fairly steady wind.

I'm looking for a bit less heat (80's would be my ideal upper-limit, though low 90's with a breeze and/or some shade would probably be fine in limited quantities) and a fair amount of sun; that's what brought me to this thread about the sun in Bend

Old 07-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicPhotographer View Post
I'll confirm the truth of that sentiment, delta. I currently live in Albuquerque, NM, where we've had 4 days in a row of 100+ temperatures. Even at only 8-11% humidity, it's just too hot for my taste. As such, I'm currently scouring the Oregon forums in search of a location that sounds like it will be a good fit for me.

Albuquerque is also high-desert (I reside a bit over 5,500 feet above sea level) and I moved here 2.5 years ago from the NJ/Pa. to escape harshly snowy winters. I had read that Albuquerque was 4-seasons and moderate but my time here has disproven the 'moderate' part. What we lack in humidity seems to be compensated for by a fairly steady wind.

I'm looking for a bit less heat (80's would be my ideal upper-limit, though low 90's with a breeze and/or some shade would probably be fine in limited quantities) and a fair amount of sun; that's what brought me to this thread about the sun in Bend
The thing I will say about Bend is that we are still in the Pacific Northwest. While we do get more sun relative to the Western side of the Cascades, we don't get nearly the same amount of winter sun you experience in New Mexico. The other thing is that we are long ways away from "escaping" to a warmer climate in the winter, unless you can afford to take a plane somewhere when the weather has gotten enough of you. This, for me, is the big difference between my time living in the mountains of Colorado with a similar weather pattern to Bend, and living in Bend. When I was cold and tired of winter, I could get in the car and drive a few hours west to Moab or south to NM and get some much needed sun and warmth. Here it's not so easy.

Of course, as you will hear on this forum, and this thread especially, it's all relative. Bend might be okay for you considering you lived in PA/NJ. But, you won't know until you try it out for a while. I would highly suggest visiting a few times in the harsher weather months to see if you can deal. Summer isn't a good indication of the weather here most of the year, as it's fairly short and predictably sunny, like most of the PNW.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Bend is really a great place to live despite my complaints about the weather.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,472 times
Default Sunny places in Oregon

I'm thinking of relocating to Oregon and/or Washington but hate to give up Calif sunny weather. Are there areas in OR and/or WA that have a decent amount of sun?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanning View Post
I'm thinking of relocating to Oregon and/or Washington but hate to give up Calif sunny weather. Are there areas in OR and/or WA that have a decent amount of sun?
You are asking for a quantitative answer to a qualitative question. Tell us what you consider a "decent amount of sun" and then we can answer. Certainly there is more sun in Bend than, say, Eureka, CA. The sunniest part of Oregon is the southeast corner, but, beyond the hamlet of Burns, there aren't any towns there. Probably Lakeview and Kklamath Falls get the most sun - neither of those are big towns, though, and both have snow in winter.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM

722 posts, read 1,352,963 times
I have been talking with another person from Bend about this "How Much Sun in Bend".

From my perspective as a potential move to Bend candidate from the east coast (and this Bend contact has affirmed) even when it is cloudy in Bend it is rarely raining or stormy.

So as much as I enjoy sunshine the bigger question would be:

Is it to wet to be outdoors?

And to answer that question it sounds like Bend is wonderful?

Don't think I have ever canceled an outdoor activity (Besides sunbathing) because it was too cloudy.

So unless someone has " S.A.D." from lack of sunshine not sure why so much concern about the amount of sun in Bend?

Seems like it is most important for people looking to move to Bend from a sunbelt area of the country.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanning View Post
I agree with PNW-type-gal. It's hard to put a qualitative number on this. If you are used to S. California sunshine and weather, Bend may be a bit of a shock for you. The summer here is absolutely phenomenal. I don't think anyone would argue with that. It's the rest of the year that will either make you or break you. As someone who suffers a bit from SAD, and also grew up in Colorado, the winter and spring months are very difficult for me.

Snownut is right, there is rarely a ton of rain to keep you from doing outdoor activities. But there are clouds. It is overcast quite a bit during those months, usually from about November through June. There are sunny days too. Overall though, IMO (and the data does back this up, look at the climate charts on the Bend city-data page), it's not really "sunny" during the winter/spring months. It's a big bell curve for percentage of sunshine. Now compare that with where you are in California and think about how that might affect you. Only you will know whether you can handle it or not.

Oregon and Washington are both still part of the PNW and influenced by the weather patterns that frequent this region. The western sides of each state will be rainy and overcast for 6+ months of the year. The eastern side of the Cascades doesn't get much rain, but we do get the clouds. It's not as bad as the western side, so you will hear Bend is sunny because of this. But, it's sunny compared to some of the darkest, dreary places in the winter. Not really sunny compared to "sunny" climates like California, Arizona, Colorado, etc.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,586 times
Depression from too much sun?: Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Depression from Too Much Sun? (Seattle based blog, btw)

*tongue-and-cheek*

I think I suffer from this. If it were as sunny ALL the time in Bend like our summers during our winter months I'd be even worse off.

For me, winter weather is suppose to vary to help keep life interesting.

It's just what I'm used to.....it's my culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend